main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY I need a Star Wars intervention....

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by New Vanck, Dec 29, 2014.

1. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    Okay, I am writing this post because I had some interesting thoughts lately. In short, I thought of selling my Star Wars collection...then followed by thoughts video taping the burning of my EU books and putting it on YouTube.

Yeah, still a little ticked about the whole reboot thing ;) Luckily, all I have done is sent a civil letter to Disney saying they made a grave mistake. So no destruction or selling of items. Well, might be a few I part with.....

But, since I am a Star Wars fan....even if a very disgruntled one...I am going to try to get over this mental mess I have in my head about this entire situation. Best place to do that is trying to reconnect with the group. Ya go and build a house/farm and look what happens.....

So, I am going to try to make the Star Wars dinner and if anybody wants to vent about this reboot thing, feel free to message me. I promise not to blow my top....too much.....

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Yay for reconnecting! I hope we can help recharge your fandom.

I'm hoping all the focus on Star Wars this next year before the movie release will really bring out the fandom in everyone.

3. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Vanck you old pirate, so good to see you!

I'm pretty sure I got mad EU street cred, and I'll tell you what I am am doing now. I'm re-reading all of the post ROTJ stuff in chronological order. It is good, a real good thing for me to do. I'm not burning my books, but getting to know them again. I'm up to SW NJO Force Haritict (spl?) 3. I'm also up to Jedi Knight Outcast, and SW Dark Empire 2. I can't put it all into words well, but this process is very cathartic. Knowing this is now "legendary" has NOT changed my enjoyment of the stories, and I still get all the hyper-meta that was so enjoyable in the first place (event in book A, correlates to event in comic B, and rpg book C-- etc.).

The other thing that has helped me, is to read the new book: Tarkin. James Lucino has never let me down, and lots of EU stuff he put into his book. I get that with a new film the post ROTJ timeline is fubar, but the "stuff" is still there. Tarkin has Issard, Interdictors (with a hilarious malfunction), Sate Pestage, etc. The new Rebels cartoon has Compnor and the ISB for crying out loud: straight out of the West End Games Imperial Sourcebook.

Oh, and that trailer was awesome.

I'm still grieving, I truly am. But , for me, getting to know these stories again has really been helpful, as has checking out the new stuff and realizing how little has actually changed.
    The new X-wing game is pretty cool too.

Looking forwad to seeing you again!
    Jammies

4. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    Thank you Mika and Jammies. Still tip toeing back in, but tip toeing none the less. Watched a Episode IV a couple days ago, the first Star Wars anything I have looked at since they deleted canon.

Jammies, that is a good idea on re reading the novels. Right now, I am going through my old comics from Dark Horse and made a major jump into e comics with their recent sale. I will be busy for awhile :) I think I will avoid most of the new stuff for now though. Still behind on the Legends timeline (its an AU to me (even though I dislike AUs) and that will not change...Jar Jar Binks is canon and Thrawn, Wraith Squadron, and NJO are not? Not happening in my world Disney!). Also, not sure I want to even buy any more Star Wars books. I really cannot trust anything that Lucasfilm says anymore and I fully believe they will just reboot the timeline again in 30 years (or less) by using the same excuse they used this time. An entire galaxy with billions of planets and trillions of people and the old canon was too constricting? Sheesh...apparently JJ Abrams' and Dave Filoni's are not as skilled as I thought they were.

That said, I have caught a couple episodes of the new Rebels cartoon. I must say that I like it :) Reminds me of many old Star Wars RPG games I played in long ago. Also, it is proof in my eyes that they didn't need to blow up canon just to make new stories.

I have seen the new X Wing game and it does look neat. Will not jump into it at this time though as I started a gaming group in Louisville for Battletech this last year. They stick with their canon and do not do reboots.

Bitter table for one ;)

See you in a couple weeks.

5. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    A New Battle Front is being released? I'm totally looking forward to it and even purchased the PS-IV to play it.

Hang in there brother.. I've been going through my own funk it hasn't been pretty either. I'm not used to feeling so down. It isn't me and I'd consider it clinical however I have a definite finger on the reason and it all relates around my fandom.

Again... hang in there Cungr. We'll see you on the 19th. ;)

6. New Vanck

New Vanck Jedi Padawan

Oct 18, 2012
    Still hanging in there Zannah ;)

Yeah, for me its more white hot burning rage than depression. If I was locked in a room with the so called Story Group, then I might be the only one leaving alive. I am a red head with Scot/Irish blood, we do rage well :)