I need advice on geting exclusives

Discussion in 'FanForce: Star Wars Celebration Anaheim' started by jedifrog31, Jul 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedifrog31 Jedi Padawan

This is my first time going to The Star Wars Celebration.
    The items that I am interested in the Yoda Pin and Deformed Boba Fett, The Buba Fett Pin
    I noticed their was a limited edtion 150 and 250 and I am not a VIP or fan club member
    so I don't think I would have a chance on getting these items. Unless I have VIP or Fan club member get it for me. Any Advice? Would you have me go to the store or not on Thursday? [:D]
  2. jorbex Jedi Knight

By all means, go to the store first thing Thursday if you want those items. It's unlikely that every single VIP guest will want to buy the same items you do, so you have a reasonable chance of snagging them.
  3. PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I know at CIV we never even got to see the pins as the dealers bought them all up before the show even started.
  4. MrSkinnee Force Ghost

star 3
    There just seems to be something inherently wrong with the dealers snagging them all up. There should be a rule that prevents them from even going to the store so that something like that doesn't happen.
  5. j-jawa3 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Has anybody been to EBay recently? If so, have you noticed all the Celebration V "pre-order" items that are already going on sale?

In my opinion, it is DISGUSTING. It seems like some of these preorders can be directly linked to the VIP pre-order privilege--or, am I mistaken?

I called Reed Exhibitions again...they said that the VIP purchasers were NOT limited to the amount of Star Wars exclusive items from the store. This could mean (possibly) that when we get in Thursday, with our lists, excitement and anticipation that those items may be already sold out--especially limited number editions!

These same people will be going in AGAIN before the rest of us unlucky persons--and possibly purchasing even more--leaving little or none for us. These will almost certainly end up on EBay!

I am not trying to cause a rift in FanForce, friendships or relations--this VIP policy (of course) was not my doing. But, I wish that people would be CONSIDERATE on Thursday--or when they made their pre-orders (VIP's) and leave some of the exclusives for THE REST OF US.

I have a feeling that there are going to be some complaints concerning this VIP policy and pre-ordering. Maybe it worked well with other venues and genres--but it's definitely not going to work with Star Wars fans!
  6. KissinDigital Jedi Knight

star 1
    That's a whole lot of assuming going on. :C
  7. jorbex Jedi Knight

The only way this kind of thing would stop happening would be if NO ONE bought exclusives from eBay scalpers. Sadly, there will always be people willing to pay inflated prices for limited items. It's really our fault, as consumers. [face_worried]
  8. JediEddy Jedi Knight

star 1
    Please don't lump all VIP's into one category. I purchased a VIP badge partly because of the seating (not having to wait in lines), the half hour early entrance for the opportunity to get some of the limited quantity items. CIV was a joke when it came to exclusives! I was the third person in line on the first day and about 5th on the second day. When we were let in, there were already HUGE lines at the booths with the limited items. Needless to say, there were a bunch of PISSED OFF FANS! I'm hoping to avoid that this time around and pray that REED DOESN'T LET DEALERS BUY BEFORE THE FANS! Now, I can't speak for all, but I'd bet most of the VIP?s will only buy items for themselves. That's what I?m doing.
  9. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Yes, let's not throw sweeping generalisations around shall we?

I too find it a little wrong when people go out and buy large numbers of items purely to on-sell, but that's just the way it goes. As can be seen from practically everything to do with the convention there is a large collectors market out there, and it's supply and demand with the middle-men out to do what they can inside the market. I know people that do make their living being some of the people that sell all the wares at conventions and they are not out to specifically screw anyone.

And when it comes down to the end of the day, there are going to be some items you want that are sold out before you can get them, and others where you'll be the one to buy the last item and have the people standing behind you giving you the evil look. Plan your time according to what is most important for you (ie go to the Store first thing, or go at 3am as we were able to in LA with a 24hr Store), but I would suggest that if your entire enjoyment of CV is based solely upon the acquisition of certain items then you might want to rethink your reasons for going.
  10. Zepherous Jedi Knight

star 1
    Not all VIPs were able to do that. There is one lonely item I want from the store. And, I am pretty sure it will go fast. Since I get to go in 30 minutes early, I just hope to get one of the last. It's like some have said, items will be available on the auction site later on.
  11. ksomm814 Force Ghost

star 1
    You have me curious. What item are you looking at?
  12. shakes116 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I have my exclusives shopping list...unfortunately, I'm not VIP (althuogh I am hyperspace) and am aware that the odds of me actually being able to get them are nto in my favor :(

The one I REALLY want is the badge set. It's unlikely that I'll get it though....in a couple of months I might look out for it on ebay. [face_shhh] (When the prices go back to the actual one instead of the seller's inflated one.) i'd also like the bookends...but, theres other STar Wars bookends.

13. j-jawa3 Jedi Knight

star 1
    First of all, I meant no insult or generalization to those who have purchased VIP passes--that is, those who have purchased them for their own enjoyment, or simply because they can. And, I understand about getting there early--at the various Celebrations, I have waited in lines as long as 8 hours to gain access to specific venues. However, I must respectfully point out that to just say "Get there early" is simply not fair in addressing a problem that has been going on at almost every Celebration I have attended.

My remarks were reserved for Celebration Store items; mainly, the limited edition numbered exclusives. As an attendee at C II, III and IV, I have waited up to 6 hours for exclusive figures--usually only one or two. Sometimes, I barely got to the booths before they were gone. Why?

Because there were people walking out of the Celebration Store with DOLLIES, PILED HIGH WITH BOXES OF EXCLUSIVE FIGURES, which were then sold at EBay, or at their booths--right there at the Celebration!

I found one person, selling the items ON THE CONVENTION CENTER FLOOR ITSELF--right out of the boxes that he had just purchased from the Celebration Store, marked up to make a profit!

GenCon (who had put on CIII and C IV) got word of this, and tried to control the problem. They limited the exclusive figures to two per person. In some cases, THAT didn't work, either!

I believe that ceasing pre-orders would help--at least for the limited numbered items. Level the playing field, and make it fair to all. Either that, or let EVERYONE pre-order Celebration Store exclusives. Do I resent VIP tickets and packages? Absolutely not--but let's make it fair, and make these exclusives available to everyone on an equal basis.
    Once again, I meant no offense--but there are many people who purchase VIP tickets with the specific intent to make a profit--and by doing this, the majority of the fans are deprived of the chance to collect the limited numbered items. I'm just tired of seeing the severe abuse of the system like the abuses I have seen in the past. Everyone suffers when this happens.

14. wookieesrus Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would have tackled that guy and whaled on him. Sure I would have been arrested...but meh, I would have been satisfied.

People that go to these conventions for the sole purpose of making a quick buck at the expense of the real fans just makes me sick.
  15. j-jawa3 Jedi Knight

star 1
    After I saw the guy selling the stuff on the floor, I immediately found a Convention official and reported him--giving a complete description and location. I believe the guy was led off the Convention floor after that.
  16. KissinDigital Jedi Knight

star 1
    A good arse kicking always improves a con for me.

As long as I'm not on the receiving end. O:)
  17. lija Jedi Knight

star 2
    I bought a VIP ticket but I won't be able to take advantage of it until Friday afternoon. I bought it mainly to skip the lines and get good seats for the shows I want to see.

I'm volunteering all day on Thursday and Friday morning for Official Pix, so I know that I'm screwed on getting limited items that I really want (aka badge set, Shadow Trooper Donald, exclusive prints, etc). [face_worried] Also, I'm really, really bummed that I can't get the post office cancel stamp on Thursday. But it's my fault for choosing to volunteer all day. I'm sure that I will have a good time, but I will probably wonder about what-ifs.

There was only one item that I bought off ebay after the C4. It was a very exclusive item (sold out within the hour) that I wasn't aware of, but fell in love with once I saw it (a friend managed to buy one during the convention). Otherwise, I'm not going to pay an obscene price on an item unless I considered it worth it. A saying: one man's junk is another man's treasure.
  18. Zepherous Jedi Knight

star 1
    Speaking about the VIPs, I am not sure that 50 people will make a huge difference. I am pretty sure they are the only ones who could preorder. I am a VIP, and I didn't get to.
  19. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    As someone already said, this is consumerism. And this is just how it works. Things that involve money are never going to be fair. Why don't you just have some fun at the con instead of waiting hours in line for a figure and getting upset over it? If conventions were less focused on materialism we wouldn't have as much of an issue with buying/reselling anyways.
  20. j-jawa3 Jedi Knight

star 1
    As it is, I'm a collector. I have been collecting on and off for thirty years. As for my first six hour line at CII, it was really the only exclusive figure offered. (This was the first mega-convention I had been to.) You can have fun while standing in lines--if you know what to look for and what to talk about! My second long line was at Celebration III (Were you there, by chance?) I got in line at 11:45 PM for George Lucas' appearance at 8:00 AM the next day!

In that line, I was wet and cold--but I was among thousands of fans (who were also wet and cold!) Despite the hardship, we all had fun in one way or another. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to get some things you really like.
  21. chewieb Jedi Padawan

best thing order of importance go straight to the most important item as it may be limited that way if you dont get everything at least you got the most important and be patient some things will be available after show only certain are limited to just the show use the force and guide to what you really want even if its the yoda cap
  22. Darth-Dogfish-Head Force Ghost

star 4
    I've worked in the store twice, and today I was manning the booth next to where the pins were. They are selling 10 of each pin tomorrow and again on Sunday and you can buy up to two. They were all gone by 10:30 today.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.