main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I need help for my NaNo SW novel!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by kayladie97, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    I am struggling with keeping up with the pace on this thing, but I'm not giving up! One of the (many) reasons that I'm such a slow writer - and those of you who know me, know of what I speak ;) - is that I find myself easily distracted in wanting to make sure that what I'm writing makes sense in the SW universe. (NO, I really didn't spend 15 minutes looking up what a refrigerator would be called in the GFAA, when I. Am. Only. Using. It. ONE. TIME!) :rolleyes:

Anyway, because I've been out of the SW fandom for a while, I admit that I can't remember certain details. [face_blush] And this detail will be rather important to the story. I tried looking for it, but couldn't find anything...

So, please help me, TFN! You're my only hope! :p

What is the name of the planet that Vader keeps as his stronghold? I'm not sure if it was canon, or if it's fanon, but I remember that there was some remote place that he went to when he wanted to get away from Palpatine. Or I think I remember. Maybe y'all can let me know if I'm losing my mind completely! 8-}

2. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    You might be thinking of Vjun? Where Bast Castle is located- I believe it's Vader's personal residence.

I'm in the same boat. I didn't think that Star Wars fanfic would be a ton of research, but it is! I found out yesterday just how little I knew about the workings of the Rebel Alliance, and Thrawn is such a hard character to write... This is more work than I'd bargained for too.

Out of curiosity, what is a refrigerator called in the GFFA?

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In the NaNo bible No Plot No Problem it recommends just tagging areas that need further reference checking (maybe just (references) or something similar that's easy to search on. That way you can move on and not spend twenty minutes Googling stuff.
    So I'd just write 'refrigerator (references)' in your case.

4. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    When there's something specific I'm looking for, I simply highlight the area red for later reference and googling. It just takes too much time otherwise.

Sometimes the inner editor is quite the demonic force. :p

5. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005

Intrigued, I looked at Wookieepedia, and it's apparently called two things: Conservator and something else.

6. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    YES, that's it! Thanks so much! :D

I so wish that I had the inner fortitude to do that, but I just can't leave things like that alone until I find out the answer. :(

Quoted for TRUTH! I also know I probably shouldn't be editing the thing as I go, and yet... [face_blush]

Yep, conservator is the term I ended up using. :)

7. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    My creative writing teacher used to say, "give yourself permission to write a cruddy first draft."

I also 'mark' words and come back to them later. I used asteriks, but it's a personal choice.

I had NO IDEA Vader had a planet! :eek:

8. Etain

Etain Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 2008
    I keep a list ot thigns I know the story will need, but I don't have the time for at the moment.
    A well done, very long fight scene, japanese funeral rites, detailed descrtiption of clothes...
    It really helps if you know that you can look it up and do it later.

9. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    I read someone's advice once to write "TK" instead of whatever the word/term is that you can't think of, and go back to search for "TK" later and just slot in the word when you've looked it up. Because "TK" isn't a combination you'll usually find in the English language, so it won't pop up elsewhere.

I remember thinking that that's bad advice for anyone who's ever written SW and abbreciated "Tenel Ka" or "telekinesis". *lol* But other than that, it's a pretty good idea. It's worked for me in the past. You can always do a George Lucas and say "MacGuffin". ;)

I've done this as well, though, spent hours researching random facts. It's hard to let it go. I did a lot of research and planning for this year though so it's going all right. Try to keep your inner editor at bay! Look her in a closet until December! Whatever it takes!

10. Ubersue

Ubersue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 1, 2008
    I put a blank ______ for any name I don't know or haven't decided. It's the only way I get anything done.

I have written entire scenes in which I didn't know the names of the people involved (ie, members of the Jedi Council). Occasionally when I'm bored I pretend that I have edited the page for swearing. It's good for a chuckle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.