main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I need help from any Mara Jade fan

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by LLL, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    (I'm trying to write a fan audio drama featuring Palpatine, but I don't read any EU books.)

What does Mara have to say about Palpatine? Anything about their history together? Anything about her training? Anything about what he was like? Anything about how she felt about him?

Thanks!

2. JacenKatarnC3PX

JacenKatarnC3PX Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2005
    Well, for starters, she was taken off her homeworld from her parents and sent into immediate training with Palpatine.

3. IamtheMaster111

IamtheMaster111 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2005
    Why are you writing a radio drama that is EU if you don't read EU?

4. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    It's not EU.

It's in canon with the movies, but I'm trying to get a fuller sense of what Palpatine was like.

5. Jayd

Jayd Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Well, Palpy was so vindictive that as he was dying he planted the image of Luke striking him down in Mara's head, so she hated Luke with a passion. She vowed she would kill him for destroying her life and her master, then found out Palpy had faked it in order to get revenge on Vader by getting his son killed. That should tell you a little about him! :p

6. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Waits for the trolls to arrive

7. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Well, accorded to the EU, before RotJ when Palpatine died, Mara was sort of a personal assassin and spy. She didn't use a great deal of Force ability; Palpatine restricted her from embracing her full power so that she wouldn't become a threat and instead remain dependent upon him. You could say she was kind of under his spell, brainwashed by him to be completely loyal and have no sense of morality in order to do his bidding. After RotJ, she was slowly released from his power and learned to function as an almost half-normal person. :p

But that's all official EU. If you're not worried about the EU, why not just make up whatever you want? :p

8. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    I am attempting to make everything fit with what's already known.

But how many EU books are there now?? Do you have any idea how long it'd take me to read them all??

I've already put this project off for a year as it is ...

"Waits for the trolls to arrive"

? All I did was ask a question?

9. Fire_Light

Fire_Light Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2002
    Don't worry, LLL, it's nothing you did

I think Palpatine basically used Mara as a pawn to do his dirty work. He made her to be fiercely loyal to him and him alone, mainly through inflating her ego (telling her she's the only Hand) and by making it so without him around, her Force powers would be useless.

There isn't a ton of info on Mara's training, but it is known that she never received any Sith teachings, as that was something Palpatine wanted to avoid (Sith teachings seem to inspire treachery). So even though Mara drew power from the Dark side through the Emperor, she did it in complete service and devotion to another, which she claims cancelled out the evilness of her doings (but that's a whole other can of worms).

Regarding her feelings about Palpatine, she never seems to call him out and say what he did to her was wrong. Five years after his death, she looked back fondly on her time with him. She missed the power and prestige of her position and hated Luke for taking it away (though she was still under Palpatine's control at the time). The only time I can remember her reacting negatively to the mention of the dead Emperor is when she discovered that he had other Hands besides herself.

10. -RebelScum-

-RebelScum- Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 21, 2004
    *is tempted to show T_F the comment about Mara being brainwashed*

11. HandofSkywalker86

HandofSkywalker86 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 12, 2004
    Sorry LLL I didn't mean to convey that there was anything wrong with your topic just that there are some users who always seem to flock to Discussions about Mara and derail the threads.

Anyways she was loyal to him, he kept her in the dark about the true nature of the force and always propped her ego up.

12. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    So you could say that he was kind to Mara, and even that she loved him.

Hmm. I was wondering about that.

If one wanted to read more, what books is all this mentioned in?

(btw, thanks, guys :) )

I'm from Tidewater, VA, and met Shannon Jones Baksa back when she lived here and first posed as Mara Jade. I believe she got married and has another last name now, though.

13. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Mara is in quite a few of the post-RotJ EU books. If you're not intersted in reading all of the books, have a look around theforce.net in their books and timeline section. I looked around the TimeTales section, but they don't seem to have what you're looking for. You could also just do a google search for Mara Jade and see if the fan sites have anything worthwhile.

14. Robal_Krahl

Robal_Krahl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 23, 2003
    A good graphic novel to read is Mara Jade: By the Emperor's Hand. It gives some glimpses into Mara's training in stealth and assassination, with a small commentary ( :p ) from Vader and Palpatine. :)

15. LLL

Jul 16, 2000
    Appreciate it, folks. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.