main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(I need help from the ladies on the forum) Why does Padmé fall for Anakin???

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Daniel, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel

Daniel Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 1999
    I pretty much followed AOTC, though I need to watch again to make sure. The thing I had trouble buying was how Pademe could fall for Anakin at all. With the exception of Anakin expressing his affection for Pademe, he seemed pretty much a jerk personality wise. So help me out.

2. CwrnPuppet

CwrnPuppet Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    I would have fallen for him. *shrugs*

3. ferelwookie

ferelwookie Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2001
    Women love jerks. Nice guys finish last. The guy's a stalker and she's obviously got a few screws loose for going for him after his confession. No wonder Luke almost dated his sister! The family is so screwed up, all they need is the trailer and Jerry Springer!

;)

4. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Their romance reminded me of a scene on a secluded volcanic island, where two hapless, lonely individuals are washed ashore. They have companionship in their shared isolation: Anakin because he is the "chosen one" and Amidala because she has been a powerful figure in politics most of her life. Amidala, struggling to keep things in perspective, finds they are stranded on the island and the resident volcano is about to erupt and put an abrupt end to their lives. Seeing the end of her days quickly advancing, she throws caution to the wind and allows herself to feel for the first time in her life, most likely. Sad story. I don't like their romance for this reason. It's just too tragic.

5. Kay-Elle

Kay-Elle Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2002
    I would probably fall for him. His complex nature makes him very compelling in some ways.

Plus there's the whole wartime romance thing, just look at how many couples got married on impulse during WWII. Adrenaline, hormones, kabooom! lol

6. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Kay-Elle,

Nah, the KABOOM! was Han & Leia. Anakin and Amidala, well theirs is a much sadder tale.

7. opiewan

opiewan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    Kaboom=Sad.....

The greatest love stories are always the Tragic ones....Why is it so hard for so many males to see that...I am male and sometimes I am ashamed of my male race and their stupidity on this subject.

8. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Opie,

I'm a female, and I find the tragic romance of Anakin and Amidala to be too painful to embrace on any emotional level. Perhaps this is the result of experience?

Sad. Ugh.

9. Bilton

Bilton Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    "male race"?

And you call your fellow males "stupid"? LOL

10. opiewan

May 7, 2002
    I am one who thinks the Dracula/Mina is one of the greatest romances of all time.

11. Jon_Solo

Jon_Solo Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2002
    "Kaboom=Sad.....

The greatest love stories are always the Tragic ones....Why is it so hard for so many males to see that...I am male and sometimes I am ashamed of my male race and their stupidity on this subject. "

Whatever...

Great Romances are sad because thats what sells. Things are more interesting when they involve several different powerful human emotions. Love and sorrow is much more interesting than just love.

12. ewansdove

ewansdove Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    If this lady was in Padme's place - there's no way I ever would have even registered Anakin was alive with a man like Obi around ;)

:)

13. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    I don't know what women would see in Anakin. Emotionally he's a little boy! Whatever anyone says, he's not mature in the least. Much as I liked HC, Anakin as a character left me cold. :(

14. opiewan

May 7, 2002
    that's exactly what I said man....Love and sorrow which finally grows into tragedy in this case

15. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Young women almost always gravitate towards the guy who is the worst for them and is the most likely to hurt them.

16. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    Excellent question!

I really have no idea, because there wasn't that much chemistry between them. It was obvious he was after her from the get-go and she seemed to care less. Then all of a sudden, she's letting him kiss her! Sorry, but there wasn't enough sexual tension to set that up.

:)

17. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Padmé was always interested in Anakin, from the moment they met in TPM.
    Remember these lines:

- Please don´t look at me like that.

- Why not?

- It makes me feel uncomfortable.

There´s something in the way he looks at her that draws her towards him.
    It´s like they were always meant for eachother. It´s a phenomenon called love at first sight.
    Even though Anakin confesses that he slaughtered an entire tusken tribe, she still loves him. Why is that? Because they were meant for eachother. Anakin is torn between emotions: On one hand, he hates the tusken raiders with all of his heart, on the other, he knows perfectly well that he, as a Jedi, can not know hate.
    Padmé understands all this and she believes that she can help him. She believes that he will not give in to hate anymore, that he has learned from his mistake.
    She believes that they will live happily ever after.

18. opiewan

May 7, 2002
    Yeah I agree with that 100%...That's why the family scene was needed. It would of made everything flow...The conversation between Padme and her sister and mother would of solved everyone's problem.

19. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Once again I have killed a thread. Am I the Chosen One on these boards? :D

20. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    yes definately

21. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Just wanted to know. Thanks.

22. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    I completely agree with ewansdove and Jemmiah

Obi was far more in control. Anakin was floundering, with mis-placed arrogance. Obi had justified confidence, and that is a thousand times more attractive than a child whining that his teacher is too hard on him.

Anakin never accepted responsibility for his actions. When he disobeyed orders and left Naboo, he insisted he had no choice, that he had to go. When really he just wanted to. He didn't know for certain if anything was wrong. He just felt the impulse, now that Obi wasn't around to watch him, to take off. Then, when he kills the Tuskins, his excuse is they deserved it, because they were animals. Then, he won't go to Obi-Wan's aide until Padme insisted, so he could hide behind her and say it was her choice and he wasn't to blame.

Anakin was a big baby. Obi faced down danger with a smile and a clever quip. No contest.

23. Undomiel

May 17, 2002
    Aye, he was that. I think he was meant to be shown in that light to advance the idea that he was severly lacking without his mother's feminine guidance during his formative years between childhood and adolescence. Dad's are equally good at raising children as Mom's, but there's no substitute for having both aspects -- feminine and masculine -- nurturing you as you grow and mature. Leave one out, and the child has more trouble addressing the difficulties of life. He had a mom as a young boy and a dad figure as a teenager, but never both.

-Undomiel

24. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    I have fallen for him :)

Besides he is so serious, you can feel he really does think and feel what he says- even if the lines are not great and he is not a Cassanova. You know he is true.

25. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Don't forget that Anakin's actions are also one's that are understandable to anyone with an ounce of compassion. Padmé was the only one who meant anything to Anakin who understood his slavery past, the tearing away of his relationship with his mother, the explanation later of what happened to her, and finally her subsequent death.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.