main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

(I need help from the ladies on the forum) Why does Padmé fall for Anakin???

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Daniel, May 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abmccray

abmccray Jedi Youngling star 2

May 16, 2002
    ((What is it about women with children and middle-age that makes people immediately think they are desperate? Or fat people, for that matter?))

It's not that it automatically means that they are desperate - it just makes them MORE LIKELY to be desperate. It was a good analogy in that sense.

To be desperate, you have to be in a situation where it is hard to get someone. Being unattractive, fat, having kids, or being middle aged, (and yes, having a physical deformity) are all things that can put a serious hamper on the number of men that would be attracted to you, which would make you more likely to be "desperate" than a 21 year old movie star who was voted "Most Beautiful of the year."

That's just looking at things reasonably. No need to get overly politcally correct here.

2. Tasses

Tasses Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2002
    abmccray.... what an inappropriate thing to say. You are either really young/immature or you have a false definition of beauty.
    Love between ANY two given people has nothing to do with their physical appearance. That's called infatuation.
    If we all want to debate Padme and Anakin's love vs. infatuation debate that's one thing, but in a debate about LOVE, physical appearance is not the issue.

3. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Actually, it makes them less likely to be desperate. They already have enough responsibilities without tagging on another child man. They already know what it means to love and have sex. Anakin and Padme did not have that knowledge or experience. It's much more important to adolescents to get some than it is to adults who've had plenty. lol My teenage son frequently reminds me of this fact, when he says he hopes the world doesn't come to end before he finds the right woman.

REPEATING this, in the event you didn't see it the first time. It was an afterthought edit.

I've known young men who were worlds more mature than Anakin. Heck I've met young people [both male and female] that were more mature than I am at 43. So I don't think there's a real firm "stereotype" for this particular topic. I will say, however, that Anakin didn't appeal to me other than his classically beautiful features. Now, seeing as how I am a middle-aged, overweight female with kids, do you think I'm desperate because I appreciate Hayden Christensen's physical beauty? Fine line you're tiptoeing there.

4. Dinoforce

Dinoforce Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2002
    Anakin doesn't fit the definition of a stalker. 1) he does stop when asked. Also he cannot leave her side because he is assigned to be her bodyguard and as someone else mentioned earlier, remember the movie? A real life example is Princess Stephanie who married her bodyguard, but has since divorced him. When you are in an intensely personal, stressful and tumultuous time in your life, it is easy to reach out to the nearest person and if he happens to care about you and even love you, it is easy to fall in love. Whether it will last or not is an entirely different question but we know that it won't.

I don't think Padme was desperate. I think Anakin's interest in her has awakened her dormant feelings as a woman. She has obviously devoted the majority of her life to public service and has not spent much time dating. If the last boyfriend she could remember was Palo from 10 years ago (speculation), you know she has been alone. Lonely people don't always see the situation clearly or rationally.

5. abmccray

May 16, 2002
    Dinoforce:

To give your preconcived notions of Padme credence, where in the movie does it say that "Paolo is the last boyfriend that she can remember?" i know you said that it is speculation, but you are assuming a lot based on no specific facts that exist in the movie. It could just as easily be assumed that Paolo was her first love or first kiss or first boyfriend.

((abmccray.... what an inappropriate thing to say. You are either really young/immature or you have a false definition of beauty.
    Love between ANY two given people has nothing to do with their physical appearance. That's called infatuation.
    If we all want to debate Padme and Anakin's love vs. infatuation debate that's one thing, but in a debate about LOVE, physical appearance is not the issue. ))

I entered this discussion assuming that everyone knew that Padme and Anakin were not in "true love" since they only knew each other for, at the least, days, or at the most, weeks. And the definition of real love implies a familiarity with an individual. Love in the broad sense (as in commonly used among kids and teenagers or the phrase "love at first sight") applies to the emotions in the movie, only because it is, in fact, an infatuation.

And even so, your comments don't apply in the side discussion about "who would be more likely to be desperate?" They would only be releavant if I was saying that old fat people were more likely to succumb to love, which I did not.

6. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Well shucks there, Cray. I'm not only old and fat and female, but I'm missing a breast to breast cancer (so I guess that qualifies me as physically-deformed as well). Let's rag on those old desperate people. :D I don't have the strength to be desperate! lol

7. pommekitty

pommekitty Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Have you read tha book? If no, well you should. We see a lot of scenes with Padme and her family (especially the ones with her sister)and we understand that padme is very tired, she wants a normal life, she wnats kids. But she also love the work she's doing for the Republic. She said herself that nobody considered her a woman, they all saw the senator of Naboo. When Anakin turns up, it all changes. I admit that it is exasperating to see him drooling all over her in every scenes. One would have thought that the future darth vader would not be such a ninny with girls, but well....
    If you need more convincing, just look at the guy: he's gorgeous. All in all it's a no-brainer :)

8. Skywalk272

Skywalk272 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2000
    Once again, nobody seems to have paid any attention to my previous posts . . . How disheartening.

Some people come on these boards with theirs own opinions, and won't ever change them for any line of reasoning, cause theirs is better.

I'll try and summerize:

1. Its FANTASY - a very good one too.
    2. As many have pointed out LOVE is not RATIONAL
    3. Let go of your personal life EXPERIANCES and acknowlege that the experiances of others could be and are completly different.

If you still don't get it, read the novel. It MIGHT help you.

9. pommekitty

Jun 1, 2002
    Exactly!
    Now you know what you've got to do. Run to the nearest bookstore and head straight to the Star wars section.
    It'll REALLY help you

10. abmccray

May 16, 2002
    ((Some people come on these boards with theirs own opinions, and won't ever change them for any line of reasoning, cause theirs is better. ))

I strongly agree.

However, while it is fantasy, it has to live and die by the rules set forth in the world that it created. By having contemporary dialogue and already having a contemporary type love/hate relationship in Han and Leia, it thus has to continue to follow the trend with the logic of Anakin/Padme's "love." You can't jump from Shakesphere(sp) dialogue to Stephen King dialogue in the same story without throwing the reader off. Basic writing rules. Thus, you can't say that the Anakin/Padme love story is one way, when every other aspect of their relationship is not. It's non-coherant. That is why you're getting all of the complaints.

And judging the characters in the movie using basic human behavior as the template is very much applicable when they're shown to exhibit basic human behavior elsewhere. I'm not judging by my experiences so much as common sense.

Yeah, I read your earlier post, but I had decided to "let it go" until you brought it back up ;)

11. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    Yay! Somebody paid attention to me :D

12. abmccray

May 16, 2002
    ((Exactly!
    Now you know what you've got to do. Run to the nearest bookstore and head straight to the Star wars section.
    It'll REALLY help you ))

I read the novel and two drafts of the screenplay, actually. However, we're talking about the movie, not the novel here - they're two seperate things. If Lucas didn't deem for certain things to be in his movie, they don't exist until he puts them in there.

13. pommekitty

Jun 1, 2002
    So we're not to take for granted what we read in the books? Didn't know that, I'm what you call a newbie here.
    Oh well, it doesn't hurt to read a book from time to time anyway ;)

14. Skywalk272

Feb 16, 2000
    I'm a little confused by what you are saying, are you saying that Anakin and Padme should have fallen in love in a similar way Liea and Han did?

There are all kinds of similarities and differences there, but I'm not so sure they need comparing.

Perhaps you are saying Lucas intended one thing, and got something completly different? I can agree with that.

But for some reason its all still believable to me.

15. abmccray

May 16, 2002
    Skywalk, I'm just saying that Han and Leia provide a comparison of a relationship that "makes sense in reality."

For instance, if Lucas had already established that love in the SW universe works different from our universe, everything would be peachy and dandy. Or if Anakin did not reply with quips such as "you call that diplomatic negotiations?" but spoke in 16th century prose throughout the whole movie, it wouldn't have made THAT dialogue stand out.

I know what Lucas was trying to do, and it makes a lot more sense in the novel, given fleshing out. However, given the constraints of what was given to us in the movie, I think it ultimately fails.

16. DANA28

DANA28 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 15, 2002
    He's the most polite man in the galaxy. he was a gentleman plain and simple but then he had the bad boy side.

17. Bail-AnBillies

Bail-AnBillies Jedi Padawan star 4

May 21, 2002
    Seriously she fell for him because if she even came an inch near Obi-Wan she'd be receiving a huge butt-kicking from me, so she went with her second choice ;)

18. Armaria

Armaria Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2002
    You too, Bail-AnBillies?! And I thought I was the only one that thought like that!

In respose to previous post's, Anikan is SO a bad boy. Sure he can be all mushy and "I love you" blah blah blah, BUT he is also disrespectful, disobedient, he talks back, doesn't listen, has a bad temper and so on and so forth. The proof is very lengthy that ol' Ani is a proven bad boy-and plenty of girls fall for that[though everyone knows who I would have gone for!]

19. Arriss

Arriss Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    To all: READ THE BOOK! You'll get your answers. It's unfortunate that some important "puzzle pieces" in the book were omitted in the movie, it would have explained Anakin much better. BTW - Hayden wanted to be more intense in some scenes, GL told him not to.

As for Anakin - maybe it's his charisma - but I wouldn't turn him away and it has nothing to do with him being a "bad boy"(just don't tell my husband) And for the record - my husband & I dated 1 week & have been married 16 years!!

20. tionnesharp

tionnesharp Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Three words....youth, eyes, intensity.

21. kobe_wan_wanobe

kobe_wan_wanobe Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    I'm not a girl, but this is how I see it.

In the real world there's very little chance that she'd fall for him, because he acts like a love sick pup around her.

In Star Wars he's a jedi. He can float pears, ride giant ticks and kick pretty much everyone's arse in the universe. There aren't too many guys like that around, so he has alot more value than the average love sick sap.

If you wanna get girls, I suggest you don't act like Anakin around them, or you'll become their doormat, unless you're a jedi. Ok I think I've said too much.

22. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Don't ask me. If I'd been her I'd be the one with the case of unrequited love after seeing the beautiful and cool under pressure seachange-eyed, golden-haired Master Kenobi for the first time in ten years. ;)

23. DarkJediPrincess

DarkJediPrincess Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2002
    Anakin is Padme's Knight in tarnished armor.

He is the savior of Naboo, he is unwaveringly loyal to her, he isn't bad to look at, but most importantly...he needs her.

Some women (I won't over generalize), are drawn to flawed (in Anakin's case tragically-flawed) men. Anakin gives her not only a handsome mysterious powerful Jedi, but also someone who is wounded and needs her emotional care.

I, myself, side with a lot of the other ladies here...Obi Wan would have caught my eye and held it with his personality, but we are not Padme. We do not know what made her the young woman she is today. There are all kinds of situations in her past (that we do not know about, books or no) which might have made her need to be needed as desperately as Anakin needs her.

DJP

24. pommekitty

Jun 1, 2002
    Yes, let Padme get her Anakin, and lets keep our Obi-Wan for ourselves ;)

Perhaps we'll have even more insights on Padme's feeling in upcoming books (ie: taking place between Ep II and Ep III), if there's any that is. I don't care if some people say it's not canon, it's a great help and you can appreciate the work of the actors. You read a scene in the book and you see how the actors interpret it in the movie. Hayden really did a good job, it's no wonder Padme falls for him. Everything is in the eyes, there's so much going on in them.

25. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I for one would never fall for Anakin...when Obi's around! :) Padme can care abotu him all she want but I'd rater have someone who takes crae of himself. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.