main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I need more spoilers.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Primetime_Jedi, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo Base

Echo Base Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes, I suppose Rebels *is* part of the marketing strategy.

2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Are you not planning to watch Ep VII until THE definative non-GL influenced edit is released on DVD? [face_laugh]

Kraven Head likes this.
  3. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    DOH! Good eye!

I actually proof read that 3-4 times to make sure I got it right too!

Django Fett likes this.
  4. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Anyway, no doubt some Disney marketing types monitor this forum and, hopefully, they will realise that every time this discussion thread rises to the top, we are growing bored and impatient, so COME ON, DISNEY MARKETING TEAM, AND PLEASE THROW US POOR DOGS SOME BONES! :D

Jcuk and Bennihana like this.
  5. Spy Vs Dog

Spy Vs Dog Jedi Master star 3

Jan 25, 2004
    Well I know this much:

I'll be damned if I'm going to sit around reading third-hand descriptions of concept art. I saw someone reposted something from I think MakingStarWars, where the guy was describing concept art that he didn't even see himself, it was described to him.

Much as I like Star Wars and spoilers, if I see "concept art" in the title and page down to find nothing but words, I just skip it.

TK327, Jcuk, FRAGWAGON and 3 others like this.
  6. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes, see the "Ships of the ST" thread. No one can really understand the description anyway as it is poorly written and seemingly-contradictory in places, so people are trying to guess what it looks like.

I totally agree with your sentiment in general, though. Why Disney can't just release a few minor pieces of background concept art at this stage that have no real bearing on the plot is beyond me. Just something to give us a bit of the feel of the film and its aesthetics would be fine.

Otherwise, we might as well all log off this forum for now and come back in the new year as there is not much to discuss.

TK327 and Jcuk like this.
  7. Spy Vs Dog

Jan 25, 2004
    I still say the Star Wars site ought to have an official countdown timer for the occasional small crumb here or there. Say every week or two when the clock hits zero they release a piece of concept art, a picture of a ship, some character in costume, a robot hand like what they've done just on some kind of schedule people can follow. And as you get closer maybe character names and bios, and later surprise people with a teaser or trailer when the time comes. They did this with the Man of Steel movie and it made sense.

That would keep people somewhat engaged and have something to look forward to and talk about, while waiting for the movie. And you wouldn't have to spoil anything major in the process.

TK327, Lando Swarm and Echo Base like this.
  8. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes, that kind of marketing would appeal to me as a potential ultimate consumer of their film.

9. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
  10. Luke Skyywalker

Luke Skyywalker Jedi Knight

Oct 14, 2014
    Then you must know that Sith Interceptor is an administrator at the site that shocked and awed the internet's ass during the lead up to Episode III: MF.com

11. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  12. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    I am taking full credit for this leak happening today within hours of my big whinge! :D :D :D

TK327, TernianVII and starocean90 like this.
  13. Spy Vs Dog

Jan 25, 2004
    See now that's what I'm talking about

TheBBP, Echo Base and starocean90 like this.
  14. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

Because Rebels just started

15. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    YAY spoilers. Real spoilers!!!!!!! Kind of...!

=D=

16. jedinightwing

jedinightwing Jedi Master star 3

Aug 4, 2009
    "I'm not the Jedi I should be. I want MORE."

No seriously. With this last batch of concept art, I'm feeling like a spoiler junkie in that respect.

17. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    This again. The only thing keeping me excited at the moment is the MakingStarWars mega-rumour about the tomb/pacifist Finn, etc.

As I said in a thread the other day:

It is interesting that we had this sudden flurry of info at the end of last year, and now nothing. I guess the marketers feel that the excitement caused by the trailer would tide people over for a few months.

I hope that the marketing campaign clicks into another phase soon. As per my suggestion above, they could do something non-spoilerish each month, if they don't want to reveal too much at this stage, like do a featurette on the making of "Bob" and talk to the puppeteers about how they operate him or something like that or show some spaceships that appear in background scenes. Instead, we had a flurry of activity and then nothing.

I wonder what the timeline for marketing is. I know people are speculating that there will be another trailer at one of the big comic book/Disney conventions but I am hopeful they might drip-feed us some things before then.

In terms of marketing, I am also wondering if Disney will capitalise on the interest in space and spaceships in general that will peak when the real-life New Horizons probe reaches Pluto in July. They'd be foolish not to use that event to market their film in some way, such as having the cast do a photoshoot at NASA or some such thing.

Anyway, is anyone else becoming impatient again or am I just whining like a spoilt brat who wants all his presents at once? :D

Acroyear likes this.
  18. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm dying for new spoilers. It seems things are now coming in in drips and drabs. Even without any new spoilers, I'd dying for anything 'official'- promo pictures, stills, behind-the-scenes images, teaser poster, etc. When will this dry spell end, April/May?

19. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes, that is what I really mean: official info as opposed to unofficial leaks and rumours. It is strange we aren't seeing any behind-the-scenes featurettes at all on non-spoilerish stuff like the "Bob" or background spaceship model examples I suggested above. We still don't even have an official complete cast list or names of all the characters. Surely they can't all be spoilers!

TK327 and Acroyear like this.
  20. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    I remember back with the prequels, Lucas seemed open to sharing concept art, behind the scenes photos/videos, stills of random characters, etc.

21. Echo Base

Jul 21, 2013
    Yes, that is exactly what I mean. The approach is totally different this time and it makes one feel disengaged. I think that, by letting the fans observe the creative process it helped us feel a little more involved. It was also fascinating to see the artistic teams in action and to see some of the unsung heroes at work behind the scenes. I'd much prefer a relatively open creative process to all of this secrecy. I don't know how much say JJ has and whether he is driving this but he is obviously notorious for his secrecy on other projects but when we hear nothing at all officially for months on end, it is little wonder we start to feel disengaged. These forums would be dead for now but for people mulling over vague rumours, half-truths and speculation. I honestly think this secrecy is a little... childish... if anything.

HanSolo29 and my kind of scum like this.
  22. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I was asking the question on another thread about when did we start seeing concepts and production photos for TPM. I'm sure we were getting a view of things like that around this time before the films release. Personally I don't mind the fact we've seen little of the process for TFA yet. But for me its building anticipation even more and its going to make it all the more special when we do see official pics of the characters in costume.

23. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    I suppose I can see J.J. wanting to keep the story under wraps out of fear of spoiling some surprises. But by October, I think the cat would be out of the bag. If anything, merchandise will probably hitting the shelves, the toys, books, games, etc. If I recall, J.J. and Kathleen Kennedy said early before production that they weren't going t keep the fans in the dark. I think apart from the teaser, very little has been revealed except for that alien, X-wing, Falcon, and some of the characters names. Because if it will be late April or May before we get more stuff, that's a good 2 or 3 months away.

24. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    The toys/books/etc are apparently scheduled for September 4 release according to the leaked document found by that German site awhile back.

I still contend that April is when they start the feed of official images, etc... But yeah, I wish they had been more open with concept art and costume design, the way the prequels were. Maybe once VII is out and we know the state of the galaxy, they can be a bit more forthcoming with VIII.

Echo Base likes this.
  25. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    I fully expected that January -mid-April would be painfully slow in terms of news. But hey we got a lot of rumors lately.

I do expect mid-April to early May to be VERY busy. Then a slow down in June then pick up again in July and August. Then BOOM things take off in September hopefully.

Once the trailer hits things will go haywire for sure. Although if we get through May and there isn't much more, then it would certainly be somewhat disrespectful to fans who want to be part of the process.

But we said the same thing when the cast was not released until April last year. We got it eventually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.