main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST I need more spoilers.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Primetime_Jedi, Jun 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  2. SithPug

SithPug Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2014
    I just hope JJ decides to slightly open the mystery box and give us anything at SDCC. Title, character names, character photos, concept art....anything.

Abadacus and CairnsTony like this.
  3. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Sorry, too busy working :( ..... oh wait what am I doing on here then? :p

In other news though it has been a hot & sunny week here in London, perfect for them to be filming Tatooine scenes [face_thinking]

Claire1976 likes this.
  4. Acroyear

Acroyear Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    I don't know the real point of holding off on spoilers until the movie comes out. I suppose maybe wanting to surprised with certain plot twists. But no one is going into the movie cold. What might be 'spoilers' today won't be at least a month before the movie since all the advertising, trailers, merchandise, etc. will reveal characters, villains, planets, etc. I remember way back a year or so before TPM, Darth Maul was 'big spoiler'. But just prior to the release of the Phantom Menace, there were Darth Maul posters plastered in movie theater lobbies, there was deluge of TPM action figures hitting the stores, etc. Why delay the inevitable? The revelation the Vader was Luke's father was kept under raps practically right up until the release of ESB- granted, there was no internet. But unless there is something like that in the new film, I can't see any spoiler ruining my enjoyment of watch the film on opening day.

Abadacus and Primetime_Jedi like this.
  5. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    To each their own, but a lot of us went really out of our way to avoid all that stuff last time around, so being spoiled isn't inevitable (though the rise of social media will make it harder this time). Other than the cast/names for TPM and knowing Qui-Gon would die (blasted soundtrack cover) I went into each of the prequels cold, just as I did as a kid with the OT. It was a lot of fun, but I'm not sure I will do it again this time. I guess that is why I am here and hoping for some legit spoliers soon so I can decide how I want to approach the new episodes.

Edit: I like the screen name, btw. Loved those things as a kid.

6. SithPug

SithPug Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 18, 2014
    I totally agree with this. Letting us know who actors are playing or what they look like isn't a spoiler.

7. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Plus, the general audience doesn`t hang out on these forums.

8. Primetime_Jedi

Primetime_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
    Yeah, I agree. "Spoiler" is almost a misnomer at this point. I just want to know something about the movie, anything. Knowing the Big 3 are in it is one thing, but it doesn't say much about the story except that they're not dead yet.

CairnsTony likes this.
  9. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    I was completely spoiled going into to theater for each prequel movie. Had I not been spoiled, I don't think it would've affected my opinion of the movies much. I think everyone knew well in advance how Revenge of the Sith would play out even without spoilers. Practically everyone knew how the duel between OB1 and Anakin/Vader would turn out. Years before the prequels, Lucas said Anakin would fall in some lava or something. We all figured Luke and Leia's mother would die somehow in the prequels since she was non-existent in the OT.

10. Acroyear

Mar 24, 2001
    But back to the OP initial statement. I can't get enough spoilers . Everyday I check theforce.net. I had a lot of fun during the prequel years reading all the spoilers and trying to put all the pieces together.

11. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    That will be the job of the movie. :)

12. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    Hayley Joel Osment can see Bruce Willis because Bruce Willis is DEAD!

13. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    I agree with what you folks are saying about "spoilers" and even go a bit further, IMO. I read the novelization before the movie comes out almost as a rule. The full story is in the book. If I depended on the movie giving me the story, I'd be totally lost sometimes.

A movie, to me, is just a visual, so saying I'm going to be spoiled for the movie... that's impossible. I may be slightly spoiled for the book, but there's going to be much more backstory that even a few "spoilers" won't change.

Now, what happens if the novelization comes out after the movie? No big deal. I'll still enjoy the visuals and later on I'll be able to fill in any holes in the plot with the full story of the novel. QED.

14. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013

Absolutely, it's been perfect Tatooine weather. I hope they were taking advantage of it!

Revanfan1 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Patience. For the spoilers will come in time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. jafo

jafo Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2001
    I remember when TPM was first started. Initial reports stated that filming would start in September and then there was a the first shot that I saw - Maul and Qui Gon, fighting in the desert, that came out before September and I was like 'What? They haven't even started filming yet' A brilliantly staged piece of mis-direction. No one was on the look out because we all thought they were filming at a period of time after they had in reality finished. And remember, this was all pre-internet.

And then the spoiler wheels really did come off. We had the virtual Star Wars site which pretty much created virtual versions of the movies based on what snippets were revealed, set photos leaked etc. It pretty much was that by the time the film opened, the only thing left to know was that the film was disappointing and not as good as we had been led to believe. Even the novel and reference books were out before the film (at least they were in the UK, but then we had to wait a couple of months for the film to open - so weird thinking about this). But then this happened with the OT as well - the novels for Empire and Jedi were out before the films opened. I remember going in to town as a 14 year old and being surprised to be able to buy (and therefore buying) the novel and making of books for ROTJ, seeing everything laid out in photos - look, there's the new Death Star, Oh look, Han is released, Han and Leia get together, the Death Star blows up, Vader dies etc etc - not a thing in ROTJ was a surprise to me by the time I saw the film.

And this was repeated for AOTC and ROTS. What used to shock me were the discussions as to whether Palpatine and Sideous were two different people or clones. People were grabbing at anything just so there might be some surprise in the final film.

With Abrams, I think things may be a bit better locked down, coupled with a bit of mis-information. How successful he will be, and how much will remain unknown before the film opens remains to be seen. I would however, just once, like to see a film without knowing anything about the main plot and resolution. The last time that happened would probably be the Matrix, the same year as TPM. I went to the cinema yesterday and I again saw adverts that gave away the whole plot, including what is clearly the last shot of the movie, which seems to be a growing trend in recent years (Fast and Furious, Amazing Spider-Man 2, Die Hard 5, Captain America: Winter Soldier (this last extending the advert beyond the final shot)).

17. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    That wasn't pre-internet. I had dial-up and remember waiting like 4 minutes for those images to download.

18. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    I basically didn't know anything about TPM before I saw the movie. But a few days before I saw a TPM storybook in the store and foolishly picked it up. The whole friggin' movie was laid out. I flipped to the end and saw that Darth Maul was killed, but I did not see that Qui-Gon was killed right before that, so that was a big surprise.

19. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    DV75, CairnsTony and Adi_Gallia_9 like this.
  20. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    This really puts his welling up into context. I totally get where he's coming from and I'm not afraid to admit it. I imagine I'd have a similar 'moment' if I boarded the Falcon too!:cool:

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    I suppose this qualifies as "something." ;) The most interesting part is that he saw "uniforms and artillery" that he hadn't seen since he was a kid. Hmmm...if what he saw is what he thinks then it is Imperial equipment. Perhaps not an Imperial remnant, but rather the Republic using leftover imperial stuff.

Or not....

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i read more of his comments and now he just sounds like a big baby. i love sw. i grew up with it and it's a huge part of my childhood. i am an adult though and comments like this...

And I was like, ‘Honestly dude, you're doing it. You're making my childhood again.

come on, really? no one can make me a child again by making a movie. if that's what people want or are expecting then that's the problem.

Summers1913 likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't have a childhood. I sprang from the earth 2 years ago.

Primetime_Jedi likes this.
  24. Primetime_Jedi

Apr 21, 2000
    It's probably a veiled anti-Jar Jar reference.

25. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Growing old is mandatory,
    Growing up is optional.
    Until we get these movies, my childhood is not over.

TKT, BigAl6ft6 and Revanfan1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.