I need one on one html help

Discussion in 'Fan Sites' started by SithKittie, Dec 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithKittie Jedi Knight

star 1
    i'm to the point of begging for help on this, but no one seems to be able to help me and i don't know why cause it sounds pretty basic.

basically, well for starters i want to redo my site cause it's bugging the daylights out of me. but i have a banner for the top, under it I want drop down menus for navigation. Apart from that I want to be able to change the body from the navigation menu and from within the body itsself. if this is making any sense. My first thought is frames would work, i can't figure the dumb things out. the one point i did it ended up changing the wrong part of the screen.

Now, I know i'm not a moron ^_^' and i keep looking at these dumb tutorials and nothing is helping me. somebody PLEASE!!! *on my knees begging* help! PM me, email me - shakespeare_gurl@hotmail.com or my email is Sith Lord Kittie

PLEASE!!
  2. dark42 Jedi Knight

star 3
    You can do this with frames, iframes, or - if your server can do it (but most free ones can't) - server scripts like ASP, ASP.NET, or PHP.

My site is entirely driven via one ASP template, with the banners, menus and content dynamic based on the page loaded.

Edit: What exactly would you like help with?
  3. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    I would be happy to help you if you need it, what you want doesn't sound like too much trouble.
  4. Defiance Jedi Knight

star 3
    I think what's making it hard is the drop down menu; is it a JavaScript?

Post your attempt, so we can see what's wrong with it.
  5. SithKittie Jedi Knight

star 1
    sorry for the delay in reply. no computer at the moment.

i'm still stuck at making the frames work. i made them work once a while ago but for some random reason it stopped working. and i kinda sorta erased all teh attempts once they stopped working... :/

edit: i'm using the free geocities account(s)
  6. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    I remember PMing you about this a while ago, lol.

What do you want for frames? A left hand one? Top? Right? Bottom? More than one?
  7. SithKittie Jedi Knight

star 1
    yes and i'm still having issues. i just want the top with the banner adn the drop bars (though i could just get away with a row of links) and the bottom part to have the content that changes. it doesn't seem that complicated. but i'm just a moron.
  8. dark42 Jedi Knight

star 3
    First, finding a new host would be a much better idea than trying this with geocities. Try and get one that supports server-side scripting - that way you can have a DHTML drop-down like you want. If you don't do it server-side and you use frames, it'll be a lot more coding and compatability problems to have a drop-down because it'll most likely go over the frame.

http://brinkster.com/ has ASP support, with banners built-into pages (yes, I know people got mad when they started banners, but everyone else uses 'em). http://1and1.com supports ASP, too, I believe. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

(No markups since I'm too lazy :p!)
  9. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    Geocities isn't bad, it just shuts down evrey once in a while.

For frames, I'll PM you :)
  10. dark42 Jedi Knight

star 3
    While Geocities works, server-side is much more powerful, and a waaay better alternative to frames. No one should use frames these days - they're evil, and a pain to get to work right.
  11. SithKittie Jedi Knight

star 1
    i have an account registered at brinkster. i had planned to switch from geocities eventually cause they tick me off so bad.

going to go check the pm right now.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.