main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I need some advice...

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    ....although, why I'm asking you people is beyond me.

Amongst other things, I like to collect Coca-Coca items, and other soda-related collectibles. I think it all goes back to the fact that a Coca-Cola sign was across the road from my house when I was little. But I digress.

I read about Katy Perry getting blasted by an consumer-advocacy group because she's going to advertise Pepsi, and then it leads to reading all sorts of anti-soda stuff on the 'net....When has drinking soda become as bad as smoking cigarettes in some people's eyes? Sure, it's something you should drink in moderation, but what business is it of anybody's if you do? To me, it seems like the only reason people get upset about it causing obesity is because of those who drink it in excess, don't exercise, and don't supplement their diet with other beverages like water.

When I read stuff like that, I feel awful for my Coca-Cola collecting habit, like it's stuff that will be viewed much like racist figurines of black people from 70-80 years ago are today. Should I keep it up, or maybe just stick to SW stuff?

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    First off keep it. You have nothing to be ashamed of in having that collection. I for one would love to see pics to it someday.

And yes, you hit the nail on the head. People have linked it to obesity rates, and instead of doing constructive stuff, like encouraging people to exercise and eat healthier, and see if, in some cases, there aren't other causes of a person's obesity (such as some medical conditions related to the thyroid), some groups/people have gone overboard and have decided to target sodas and fast food.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Cigarettes are awful, but I don't think I'd think poorly of a person for collecting cigarette boxes. They're as historical/collector worthy as anything else, considering how pervasive they were/are in American culture. Coca-Cola's the same thing.

Both are far, far removed from racist figurines, which will still say something about you today.

4. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    You should be ashamed. And then asking the JC for advice? Even more shame.

5. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    DOWN with HFCS!

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I should note that modern soda is so over-sugared that it's no longer "refreshing". It's absolutely disgusting. It's like drinking a liquefied hot fudge sundae.

The soft drink companies are run by jackasses.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Soda should be sweetened with the tears of one's enemies.

8. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I'm too lazy to look this up, but I've read that cutting something as small as 200 calories a day could totally reverse te obesity epidemic, or something silly like that. I don't know, but I know that soda has an obscene amount of calories for a beverage(which, as a general rule, the beverages you drink should mostly have zero calories--that is to say you really shouldn't be drinking anything but water), and what people consider "in moderation" for soft drinks is actually quite excessive.

Not to mention all of that sugar. Just stop drinking it.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Then all my Jack & Coke's would be just Jack's. Oh, wait...

Piltdown and Hello_Fett like this.
  10. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    I guess what I like about the Coca-Cola stuff I got is the nice, romanticized pictures of 1950s diners a la Arnold's on Happy Days, with teenagers enjoying a drink and a meal, and the glamorous women in old-style clothing.

It's an image, an idea, I guess you could say I collect. To be honest, I don't really drink that much regular Coke, if at all. It's maybe a once in a while thing. I'm sure there's people who collect Budweiser memorabilia who don't really drink the stuff and acknowledge it's something you shouldn't be drinking all the time. I probably should just follow this example.

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    First off, there's nothing inherently offensive about Coke merch, the way there would be about a Brer Rabbit figurine or something. Enjoy your collection as long as you want. Second, there's nothing that wrong with soda, when done properly. It just has to be done in moderation. Soda should be viewed as a treat item like ice cream, not a hydration item like water. But one shouldn't be reaching for a soda every time one is thirsty, anymore than one should reach for the Rocky Road and a Snickers when mealtime rolls around.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  12. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Eh, I would say that Coca Cola is not the company it was half a century ago. Back then soda was sold in modest portions, whereas today beverage companies practically encourage you to drink as much of it as possible with their "only 30 cents more for a Large!" scheme so you feel like you get more for your money, when in fact soda is really cheap to produce and they get a profit.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm pretty sure fast food is the culprit behind that and they're the ones who make the money off larger sizes, but Pepsi used to own Taco Bell/KFC/Pizza Hut (now it's Yum! Brands, the explanation point stands for obesity) and still enjoys a lifetime contract so it's all one big corporate cluster**** I guess.

14. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I think you should take your lifelong collection of cans, and bury them somewhere in the desert where Tom and his kids can go and dig them up.

tom and Healer_Leona like this.
  15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you collect soda cans, make sure they are empty. People over in Collecting have found that they can leak or explode with age if left full. I've had cans leak but never had one explode.

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Of course Pepsi makes you fat. It's even a part of their logo.
    [​IMG]

17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Drinking soda is like eating candy. Yeah, it's cool once in a while. Don't do it every day. Maybe once or twice a week.

As far as collecting, I don't give a single ****.

V-2 likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    This.

Edit: And for the love of Pete, if you have any full cans of old soda, don't open one up and drink it!

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Ever leave an unopened can in the freezer?

That's a fun cleanup.

20. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Oh, shut up. Except when that worthless Darth Guy somehow urinates himself from the wrong side of the Bay
    over to San Francisco. Don't you ever, ever think you have any thing that that seems like a captured mind.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  22. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    No cans (full or empty) but I do have old empty glass bottles. Just wanted to make that clear

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Never done that one. The can that leaked was in a 6-pack of Mountain Dew that a friend brought over from the US to the UK as I couldn't get it here at the time. I don't think the plane trip helped. Mountain Dew is now sold in 500 ml plastic bottles as an 'energy drink' here. Still can't get it in diet version so I limit myself to one bottle a day.

24. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    Why the **** do you care what other people think of your collecting habits - or consumption habits, for that matter? The doughy, diabetic, dirigibles are just jealous because you've built a hobby around a company that spearheaded the effort to increase their waistline. Can't possibly blame themselves, can they?

Hello_Fett likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Okay, you seriously do need to explain what you're even talking about here.

Juliet316 and Zapdos like this.