main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I need some advice...

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    He's either drunk again or pretending to be drunk again.

harpua likes this.
  2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I've tried to maintain a deficit of 500 calories per day over the last 6 months and have since lost about 30 pounds. It is very easy to lose track of or be completely unaware of how many calories are in a can or bottle despite them all but screaming it out to you nowadays, so I can see why some people would be upset about soft drink advertising, emphasis on some people, not all. Most of us normal people don't care who advertises what and I'm sure that nobody will look down upon Dan's collection in spite of this.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

Just drunken Bay Area crap, and I regret being out of line. Clone drunketyy clown.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You should melt all of the Coke collectibles down into weapons of mass destruction.

5. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Ya know, instead of asking for our advice, why don't you ask the community service organization in which you donate your excess amount of time to for their advice.
    Oh, I'm sorry, is there an orginazation that benefits from your copious extra waking hours?

6. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i need some advice! but i'm not going to ask you people! and i don't know why i would!

*create thread*

mrsvos and jp-30 like this.
  7. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Oh, I didn't mean to say that anyone should have a problem with the consumption of old soft drink paraphernalia, just that they should have one with consuming the actual beverage.

8. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Did you mean a loss of 500 calories? Like you burn 500 extra calories? Because deficit usually means a negative, below a normal amount... and if you were consuming -500 calories a day for 6 months you'd be dead.

9. Piltdown

Piltdown Jedi Master star 5

May 3, 2002
    I suspect he meant deficit. Like, exactly as he typed it. In fact, caloric deficit is even a defined state of operation for both thermodynamic systems and living beings in which it/they operate at a lower caloric level than is typical for the system in question (ie: deficit meaning lowered relative to the normal input level). At the very least, I guess Katarn is a thermodynamic system - but presumably he is also alive.

He (it?) could operate in such a state by consuming fewer calories, or expending more. Both result in a net deficit.

10. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    As it says, a deficit of 500 calories - which means 500 fewer calories per day than I usually consumed, not *just* 500 calories per day.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Why don't you collect cocaine collectables instead?

12. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah I think I'm going to have to ignore this one and just facepalm at both of you.

13. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

No it doesn't, 500 fewer calories per day means 500 fewer calories per day. A 500 calorie deficit would mean that you are consuming 500 less calories than you need.... negative 500.

14. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Well, I do have a miniature "History of Coca-Cola Bottles" set where the first one is just a long, thin glass bottle with a cork in the top, which the first variety of Coca-Cola that had cocaine in it might've came in, so there's that...

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    If you collect cocaine, you'll make lots of money.

16. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I think what I was mostly upset about was that I didn't have most of my Star Wars stuff out to display, leaving it mostly Coca-Cola stuff, so I've decided to remedy that.

17. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Exactly. A man my age needs about 2000-2200 calories per day, I consume 1500-1700 per day, hence the term "deficit".

18. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Alright buddy whatever you say.

19. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I drink coke all the time and I'm underweight! Yeah, outliers!

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    deficit: the amount by which something, especially a sum of money, is too small. So given his intake is 500 calories too small to maintain weight...

I'm not sure what your problem is but I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

21. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I lost about ten pounds consuming 1700 calories a day for about two and a half months recently. I felt like I was eating almost nothing.

22. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    The key to it is water, protein, and timing of meals. I do also have the added benefit of a job which has moving around on an unpredictable schedule, so that prevents my body from adapting to it and figuring out how to burn fewer calories, this is a lot like the "muscle confusion" concept in P90x. Also, I allot myself a cheat day where I can eat whatever I like (starchy foods, sugary crap, etc) and I try to exercise or move around a bit more on that day than I do others.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Mr. markups2, criticizing someone's grammar/spelling/etc. is one of the oldest trolling tricks in the book of interwebs. Clearly it's still working.

24. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't think it is (or will be) anything close to that. Just because soda isn't healthy doesn't mean it's BAD for you. Like you said: everything in moderation. Plus, there's a difference between Kate Perry doing soda ads and you just wanting to collect the paraphernalia.

That being said, if you really are concerned about the ethical side to coca cola, you may want to keep an eye on the criticisms of it's business practices, especially the union busting in South America. You can love the product and some of the culture surrounding it (I love those old fashioned ads), but still be critical of it.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    This is the most boring thread in existence. Someone please for the love of Zeus post a pic of Nic Cage drinking Coke or something equally irreverent. Please.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.