main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I need some advice...

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    How about Nic Cage as a Disney princess?

[​IMG]

V-2 likes this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I drink soda everyday

WHERE IS YOUR SCIENCE NOW

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Proof why Pepsi is better.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That is terrifying.

5. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
  6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Living is dangerous.... not breaking news.

:p

Juliet316 likes this.
  7. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Is drinking soda everyday your definition of "living"?

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    As a treat (ie: having an ICEE at the movies), especially when making mixed drinks... on the flip side of that, having a cup or two of Pepsi or Sprite helps a hangover tremendously. I don't drink it (or eat) as much as you think I would, though.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Well I don't really think much so you'd be surprised.

Zapdos likes this.
  10. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You read the negative things on the internet. The problem with the internet is it allows everyone an equal opinion, even those that shouldn't have one.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    ....says the guy with the "U MAD?" trollface as his icon.

(Seriously, you're right.)

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The risk is raised by a fifth!

An entire fifth!

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I pour pop on all of my food. I'm like Buddy the Elf with his maple syrup fetish.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You don't think making something 20% more likely significantly impacts the odds?

V-2 likes this.
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's 20% more likely relative to the initial baseline 4% incidence rate.

In other words, slightly less than 5% incidence. So while it's not exactly doing you any favors, regular soda consumption isn't going to be the tipping point for most folks.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    As long as you're working out virtually everyday and running, pop consumption will only be bad for your teeth.

17. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes, I realize. But I don't think that the study authors claimed that this was to diabetes as Anopheles mosquitoes are to malaria. They just described some of the health risks of soft drink consumption. I didn't see why it made since to mock the significance of their findings the way he did.

18. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    I'd presume it's because of the highly sensationalistic headline the BBC decided to go with.

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    "Was it?" The study was about warning people of a specific health outcome--diabetes--that was in fact correlated with soft drink consumption in this study. Compared to the headline on any space-related science reporting at all, and this comes off as quite muted and reasonable.

V-2 likes this.
  20. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Most people I know who drink pop every day are overweight, especially the children. The others I know are mostly naturally skinny, sporty or hyperactive types. Club and/or gym dwellers, basically. Anecdotal evidence isn't data though...

A 20% increase is nothing to scoff at - if you had the choice of travelling on one of two planes, one of which had a crash-rate 20% higher than the other, would you dismiss that statistic as insignificant?

It might be worth the risk to you, I mean, not every plane crash kills all the passengers...

Most type 2 diabetics don't even have to have any limbs amputated, and it's only 10 years off the end of your life, which is crap anyway, right? Especially when your diabetes is turning you blind, giving you cardiovascular problems and aching joints, increased risk of Alzheimer's, etc, etc.

Stats can be misleading, but the important point is that if you're already chubby/big boned/heavy/whatever, consuming that much excess sugar every day is clearly unnecessary and unhealthy. Not to mention the stimulants. It doesn't just rot your teeth, it messes with your whole metabolism.

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Yes, actually. Because, you see, I know statistics, and relative to .005% the final figure - .006% - is still what we in the business like to call "bugger all" - or, to put that number in perspective, you have a better chance of dying because of getting caught in a freak earthquake. "Stats can be misleading" indeed.

I don't even disagree with your central thesis that soda is bad for you, I don't even drink the stuff, but unless you're overweight with a genetic predisposition towards type-2 (In which case yes, absolutely cut the cola, holy crap) it's just not that meaningful of an increase.

Edit:

I think the record will show NIAWYC.