main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I need some serious MP gaming help!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Connemara, May 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    So I just spent today *trying* to set up a JK game with my friend. We could not find each others' game. First I tried hosting, then he did, then I switched to my old computer and tried, and still no luck.

Now, on my new XP, I don't know how to find my IP address. Josh (the friend) gave me this website whatismyIP.com or soemthing similar. But I have no idea if that's accurate or not, having never used it before.

Josh also says he uses a router to connect to the internet. Not knowing what that is, I don't know if that would be a problem or not.

On top of that, I can't remember if I ever used these particular JK disks (got them last fall, I think, or the year before) to play MP, so it could be disk-related.

I also cannot play JO MP, though I had no problem at all SP. It simply will not launch the MP option. Whether these problems are related in any way or not, I do not know, but it's very upsetting. :( I've never played MP on this new computer, so I don't know if I hafta configure something, or what.

[color=indigo]Well, we do have a JO Tech help thread, but I'll let this stay open for a few days in case someone can come in and offer you succinct help. whatsmyip.com works fine. But if you can't get MP running while you're offline, there's no way it will work when you're online. So forget about IPs and looking for other people until after you get MP running while offline.[/color]

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Definetly try to get into MP offline. No dice? Reinstall.

Then try hooking up with him on the Zone.

¤Night

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Now, on my new XP, I don't know how to find my IP address. Josh (the friend) gave me this website whatismyIP.com or soemthing similar. But I have no idea if that's accurate or not, having never used it before.

In order to see your ip under XP do as followed:

Start --> Run, type in cmd to get a command prompt window open (it looks DOS like). Type in ipconfig and you will see your IP address :)

No try reinstalling JO, it might work getting MP working again.

4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Oh. I see you have 2 different MP game questions - JK and JO.

It's a bit confusing.

I've had problems seeing games of JK in the past. To fix it, make the other person the 'host'.

5. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Well, I already tried reinstalling JO.

And I can get *into* MP, and host a game fine. But he can't see the game. Maybe I am just using the wrong IP, I dunno. I will maybe try to reinstall, too. And I did have him try hosting, and that did no good, but he was getting his IPs off that website, and I don't trust it as it hasn't been vetted to my knowledge.

6. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    WhatIsMyIP.org shows you the correct IP address, I'm sure of it. Sounds like a router / firewall problem to me. Have you turned off the default firewall in Windows XP? That could be your problem right there, if you haven't.

Also, are you on dialup or broadband? Broadband users often use a router to connect to the internet. You, and your friend, might need to forward the ports JK / JO are using to your computer. Otherwise, your router will 'stop' them, not allowing your game to locate other IP's. I'm not exactly sure how to explain it... Contact your ISP for info on how to do this.

7. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    JP- I posted my JO problem here because no one addressed it in the JO tech help thread.

Ok, um...could someone please tell me how to turn off the firewall for XP?

And I'm afraid Idon't understand the routing thing...I don't have broadband, I have dialup, but the guy,as I said, does have a router...what do we do for that?

8. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Can you connect via direct phone line or The Zone (or similar) or some other way?

As for JO, what error messages do you get when attempting to start an MP game? Have you tried to start it in Safe mode (there should be a Safe Mode startup option in your "programs/lucasarts/Jedi Knight II Jedi Outcast" menu when you use the "start-> all programs" way of launching.

9. DUM-4

DUM-4 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 1999
    To turn off your firewall in XP:

My Computer>My Network Places>View Network Connections

Right Click "Local Area Connection" and choose Properties. It's under the "Advanced" tab.

10. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    Dude, next time you're on we can try connecting to JK, see if there's a problem with that...can't help with JO I'm afraid :)

11. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Ok, I checked, and there is no firewall on.

The message in JO is "jk2mp.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvieniance"

Then it queries me if I want to send an error report to microsoft. I did the first time, but nothing happened, lol.

12. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    Not only do I helpyou figure out the JK problem i help ou get beaten 10 frags to nil - what a guy I am!

Get practising :p

13. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Whoa...way to publically embarrass!

Yeah, my JK works fine...it's the other guy ;)

Um...I'm hoping it's just a difference in versions, and we both d/l the same patch, then we're fine. If not...someone know something about routing or whatever? That's all Greek to me.

14. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Have you tried launching the Safe Mode version of JO?

15. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Yep, with the exact same result.

16. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    This is the place where Lucasarts said "Uhhhhh...buy a new game" :(

What a rip!

17. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    "This is the place where Lucasarts said "Uhhhhh...buy a new game"

What a rip!
    "

They sent me a brand new copy of Rogue Squadron PC when I scratched my CD really bad after only a few days of having it. It wasn't even their fault or anything. They were really nice about it. Great service.

They might do the same for you.

18. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    Yeah...but I bought the game a year ago, and wasn't able to play it until just now...:(

Gotta find someone to get a copy from, then...

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    It's doubtful it's a disc error.

You'll find your MP settings are different to your SP settings, and there's some 3d card conflict causing the crash.

Backup your config & mpconfig files (find them in the /base/ subdir, I think).

Then open both up in notepad or wordpad, and look for similar parameters. Copy your SP config parameters to the MP config file where they match up. Save the adjusted MP config file, and hopefully MP will now run.

20. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    I had this problem when I tried to play with a friend of mine. In the end, he just never played it again. With another friend, same problem, we tried it on a LAN, and it worked, and it worked on multiplay after that.

Not sure how though....

21. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    JP- The only thing in the base directory are a couple files labelled assets.pkt or soemthing to that effect. I tried opening them, but they are the worlds biggest files, and it screwed up all 2.4 GHz of my machine to try and access those files in Wordpad. I don't think I'll be messing with them anytime soon, but that's nit what you said anyway...I don't know where the config files are.

Aragorn- Hmm...I don't have LAN...I'll hafta keep trying with him to figure *something* out

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    First up, you are running v1.04, right?

If not go get the patch from lucasarts.com or jk2files.com.

If yo uare running 1.04, and if you don't have any config files ANYWHERE in your JO directories, that could well be the problem.

jk2mpconfig.cfg
    jk2config.cfg

They go in the /base/ folder.

You're sure they're not there? Maybe your XP doiesn't show .cfg files or something. You may need to tweak the folder options to show ALL files.

Anyway, if you're sure they're not there, drop in my jk2mpconfig.cfg file;

Right click this link,

save target as

jk2mpconfig.cfg

Save into your JO's /base/ directory

If your MP game then runs, well, you can tweak the parameters manually in wordpad to take advantage of your system specs (do a search for JO tweak guides) - that configuration is for a 4MB Ati Rage Pro on a P2-300. :(

23. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    D/ling V 1.04 patch now :)

24. Connemara

Nov 18, 2000
    JP...you are officially a genius! More brilliant than whatever losers Lucasarts employs for tech support! Not meaning to intrude upon your wife, but I wuv you!

I installed the new patch, but to no avail. Then I stuck your file in my directory, and presto!

I haven't done anything to tweak it yet, though. Am very scared of that prospect :confused:

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Right, well, my config file is for a machine way below minimum specs. Save it somewhere else as a backup.

Then for starters, don't tweak it manually, but go into the MP setup menu in game, and turn on hi-res models, hi res textures, saber burns, lighting effects etc (don't turn on volumetric shadows).

See if it looks prettier in-game...

Enjoy!

And use the TFN server!

Edit: And jeez, what does a guy have to do to get on your WUL? :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.