main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I personally think they should shelve the Jabba scene in ANH for good.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TK_Four_Two_One, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    The Jabba scene will NEVER work in my opinion and should just be shelved. The new Jabba is better but still not great. I have a very bad feeling that in future years ROTJ Jabba will be replaced with CGI for some reason. GL said he wanted this scene in the film to introduce Jabba- but now we see him in TPM so I feel this scene is redundant.

2. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    I personally think you're trying to spam. And I personally think Lucas could care less about what you personally think. Sorry. :)

3. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    How am I trying to spam? :rolleyes: And do you think I and others write a thread to talk to Lucas? Catch a grip.

4. Deimos_Skywalker

Deimos_Skywalker Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    Well the touches seem to never quite add up...

Shadow on Jabba from Han - looks nice, believable, makes Jabba look more real, have volume

Han cut out - the cut of Han seems to have a real definition to the edges, looks too clean in a sense and therefore stands out

New Jabba - Hmm, better reactions, skin texture but is it me or is the lighting across his body not really match up with the scene? Ok adding a character from a film 30 years ago but... looks odd

Forced blur - As Han steps on his tail, the perspective suddenly changes and Han blurs, supposedly to add realism, looks awful though, too fast and too uniform, the step down looks worse than the 97SE

All in all all the changes looks too distinct, too forced and added

And don't get me started on the "new" Greedo scene... still looks like cack

5. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    Okay, that spamming remark was a bit much. Maybe two more threads--one about how the monkey lady should've been left as the Emperor in TESB, and the second thread about how Kashyyyk should be in ROTJ and not Naboo--and then it'll be spamming. Make that three more threads. :p

6. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I have no problems with the Jabba scene.

7. TK_Four_Two_One

Jun 17, 2002
    I'm writing them as we cyber speak! ;)

I agree with the 'touches not adding up' remark. I think its too hard a section to pull of. Plus seeing Jabba slither, imo, looks daft. I'd rather keep my early ROTJ impression that he was so fat he never moved and sat on that slab most of the time.

8. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Regardless of how well Jabba looks, I think that scene doesn't belong either. Greedo gave Han the same speech 5 minutes before.

And when Han steps on his tail, I can't believe Jabba doesn't order him shot. That'd be like stepping on a Mafia boss's foot. You need to show respect.

9. Angela_Russell

Angela_Russell Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 6, 2004
    If Han stepped over his tail and not on it then it wouldn't be so bad. Oh and blend in Jabba he sticks out too much because he is too clean and everythng else is old.

10. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    How is he trying to spam? I don't get how you came to that conslusion. Do you know what spamming is? Anyway, I kinda agree with him. The scene just doesn't work and Jabba has huge hands and he's a different color than he is in ROTJ.

11. Leias_love_slave

Leias_love_slave Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2003
    I just have one question.

TK_Four_Two_One...

...why aren't you at your post? :p

12. Crow_T_Robot

Crow_T_Robot Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 18, 2002
    Regardless of how well Jabba looks, I think that scene doesn't belong either. Greedo gave Han the same speech 5 minutes before.

Then cut out the Greedo scene. I think the Jabba scene is more important anyway. This gets rid of the Greedo shoots first controversy, and not actually seeing Han fry Greedo makes it seem like there is more backstory to the Han-Jabba relationship. I never thought about it before but I think the movie would work better without the Greedo scene.

13. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    I'm writing them as we cyber speak!

That sounded kinda...wrong.

How is he trying to spam? I don't get how you came to that conslusion. Do you know what spamming is?

Sure. It's when you're cooking that crap that comes out of the can, right? [face_plain]

14. Larmo

Larmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    The Jabba scene looks absolutely awful, and you must be kidding about removing the Greedo scene.

I don't know why but the 97 Jabba as completely inaccurate as he was had an interesting look to him compared to the ROTJ version.

The updated version's colors are all wrong and vaguely looks like Jabba.

I personally think you're trying to spam. And I personally think Lucas could care less about what you personally think. Sorry.

What the hell is this? What if every thread on here boiled down to "Lucas could care less about what you personally think."?

15. plutoneam

plutoneam Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2003
    I think both CGI Jabbas look like total crap.

It will never look realistic, so I agree. Can it.

Jeez, why can't we have the Original Trilogy on DVD already? My laserdisc DVDrs look good, but c'mon.

16. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    The scene is stupid because of this line....

"Why did you fry poor Greedo?"

It would have fit if Han shot first, but not when Greedo shoots first.

17. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I'd have to agree with you. It doesn't really add much to the story and it's just rehashing things that were discussed earlier. Also, eventhough the FX of the scene were tweaked for the DVDs, it still doesn't look real. It just stands out too much against the original set and Han doesn't mesh with the CGI work all that well either.

Then cut out the Greedo scene. I think the Jabba scene is more important anyway. This gets rid of the Greedo shoots first controversy, and not actually seeing Han fry Greedo makes it seem like there is more backstory to the Han-Jabba relationship. I never thought about it before but I think the movie would work better without the Greedo scene.

I would have to strongly disagree with you. The Greedo scene originally showed how much of a badass Han really was. It showed that this guy meant business(until it was altered - but that's for another discussion). The Jabba scene is just filler and should have remained on the cutting room floor. I think it works better anyway to have Han hyping up Jabba and then not having him appear till ROTJ.

18. Crow_T_Robot

Aug 18, 2002
    I was never bothered by the cgi in the scene until I came here and had everyone ruin the movies for me. I like the new Jabba and wasn't joking about cutting the Greedo scene. If the Jabba scene is there what purpose does the Jabba scene serve?

EDIT: We know that Han killed one of Jabba's goons because Jabba says so. No more Greedo scene= no more Greedo shoots first. I think it works.

19. Larmo

Jul 26, 2004
    You mindless fans will support Lucas on any position.

Removing the Greedo scene in favor of Jabba? You've just crossed the sanity line.

20. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    ...not actually seeing Han fry Greedo makes it seem like there is more backstory to the Han-Jabba relationship. I never thought about it before but I think the movie would work better without the Greedo scene.

This is an interesting perspective, but it does highlight the problem: the scenes are redundant. They both say practically the same thing, and the Jabba scene as it stands now doesn't move the story forward.

Still, I can't decide which scene I'd want to scrap as I like them both!

21. Crow_T_Robot

Aug 18, 2002
    I like both scenes, too. I'm just trying to offer an alternative to those who are saying the Jabba scene should be scrapped because it's redundant.

22. Import_Jedi

Aug 20, 2001
    What the hell is this? What if every thread on here boiled down to "Lucas could care less about what you personally think."?

I'd say something, but you were the one who posted the link to the "The Return of Darth Vader" Torrent clip in the ROTS forum. Thanks for hooking us up with that crappy file, man. :)

What if every thread on here boiled down to "Lucas could care less about what you personally think."?

Either these folks will write a strongly-worded but ultimately pointless letter to Lucas about their dislike for his changes, they'll flame like heck after their posts are shot down by this remark, or they'll shut their traps altogether ;)

23. mikadojedi

mikadojedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 25, 2003
    As for Jabba. Before the prequels I would have said shelve it. Because a suprise needed to be left for ROTJ. And Jabba looked like he went on slim-fast and fell off the wagon. It did not look right, even having Han hit him on the tail.
    As for My Baboon eyed girl. Good ridance I cannot wait to see Ian tonight.

24. Larmo

Jul 26, 2004
    I'd say something, but you were the one who posted the link to the "The Return of Darth Vader" Torrent clip in the ROTS forum. Thanks for hooking us up with that crappy file, man.

If by "crappy file" you mean standard xvid .avi file that has given regular computer users no problems, then yes it's pretty crappy.

Either these folks will write a strongly-worded but ultimately pointless letter to Lucas about their dislike for his changes, they'll flame like heck after their posts are shot down by this remark, or they'll shut their traps altogether

How dare someone disagree with our god George Lucas :mad:

What is this, communist Russia?

25. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Actually, you know, I agree, take the Greedo scene out if you really want to change anything.

Reasons:

Both Jabba and Greedo don't look good enough. THey could both be improved.

But, if you only have the Jabba scene, Han comes off as a completely rebel and badass if you just know that he killed some henchman, and referring to him as "poor Greedo" makes him seem even tougher. It shows Han doesn't want to mess around. Plus it adds so much depth to his cahracter.

But personally, I like it the way it is, that was just a defense of the Greedo-removal movenemtn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.