main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I personally think they should shelve the Jabba scene in ANH for good.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TK_Four_Two_One, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meequalgreat

meequalgreat Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2004
    what i don't get is how han will walk over or on to the new tail, from what i've scene in the new picture jabba's tail is a lot taller.

2. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    If by "crappy file" you mean standard xvid .avi file that has given regular computer users no problems, then yes it's pretty crappy.

Hmm... Define regular computer users. 'Cause I use a computer on a daily basis, in case you want to know. Unless you mean "other" computer users...

How dare someone disagree with our god George Lucas

Exactly. ALL DISSENTERS need to be shot!!!

[face_praying] (Prays to Lord Lucas to smite all the evil Pagans known as "bashers")

[face_laugh]

What is this, communist Russia?

FYI, Russia's not communist. Yet. ;)

[image=http://www.geocities.com/london_ally/images/hannibal2.jpg]

"I love it when a thread goes downhill.*

3. TK_Four_Two_One

TK_Four_Two_One Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2002
    Nice 'sticking to the topic', guys! [face_tired]

EDIT: Though those who have replied properly have made some good points. The deleting the Greedo part and having only the Jabba scene would maybe work OK if it wasnt for the fact I just dont think they will ever get the Jabba scene looking correct (or even nearly correct).

4. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Lock this.
    Jabba in ANH is great.
    I hope Jabba in ROTJ gets CGed eventually.
    The O-OT is dead. Deal with it.

5. brick1974

brick1974 Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2003

I haven't watched the Jabba scene in a while...

Would it be possible for Jabba to rotate to keep Han from stepping on his tail?

Just have the slug do a 360.

Oh dear, did I just suggest more changes to the OT? That's gonna bug me for a while...

6. AniKaufman

AniKaufman Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2004
    That's dangerous talk Lassic...wanting a thread locked simply because you disagree with the opinion that's put forth?

If,however,you want it locked because it's redundant,then you'd have a very good point.

The main problem with that scene is that,if you owed a ton of money to a ruthless,heartless crime-lord...and you were begging for more time...YOU WOULD NOT STEP ON HIS TAIL!!!!!

That is just....stupid,VERY un-Han.

P.S. The fact that I've typed out those exact words before proves that this is a redundant topic.

7. dontkillyoda

dontkillyoda Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2003
    I got a really large 1/4th sculpt replica of the ROTJ Jabba in the works. I hope to show it to ILM through Gentle Giant in order to get it laser scanned to replace the CGI model in this scene. I cant see why it would be a problem if I nailed it's likness dead on with out any bits of interpretation added. I sure aint in it for money, and I will nail it. 6 months of here and there time already dropped on just his head. I've put alot of time into this sculpt. I know 2 people who work at Gentle Giant.

The new, new jabba scene looks worlds better, and if I dont fail at reachin my goal, and ILM wants it. This scene will become an old complaint very soon. I've said this before and I'm not trying to sound like a gloater, but I hear you man and heck I'm trying real hard. This is another reason I'm dying to get my numbs on the DVD.

8. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    Yeah, the stepping on Jabba's tale doesn't work. Imagine what Jabba would have done if Han had done this in RotJ. :eek:

I like what HanSolo29 said about how cool it would have been to never see Jabba in the Saga until RotJ. Jabba was made up to be this evil guy, yet we see him in TPM and ANH, so he's no surprise in RotJ. The only surprise about him is how different/better he looks than in the previous films.

I honestly think that GL only put this scene back into the OT so that he could show people what he was capable of. It worked to a point, but overall, I don't think it contributes anything to the story... it does take a way a bit since we already heard this from Greedo. But nevertheless, it is fun to watch. :)

9. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    The O-OT is dead. Deal with it.

Um, this thread has nothing to do with the O-OT. It's about one particular scene that some here on the boards feel could be improved. I don't know where you got that from.

PhantomMenace, nicely put. You took the words right out of my mouth about Lucas' original intentions for the scene.

10. AniKaufman

AniKaufman Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2004
    True PM....but in reality,The old lovable GL from the 70's did want to show Jabba,hence the source footage for the SE/DVD.

But totally,I agree,much better to build him up by talking about how scared you are of him....let the suspense build and then...finally in ROTJ....oh,wait,that's how it happened for us O-OT fans.

Us despicable,whining,nagging,complaining,faux-Star Wars fans [face_thinking]

11. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    What is this, communist Russia?

"In communist Russia, George Lucas disagrees with you!"

Sorry. It had to be said.

12. Larmo

Larmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    What is this, the year 2001?

13. Darkfalz

Darkfalz Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 20, 2003
    We HAVE a changes thread. You can't just start a new thread every time you have another thought about a particular OT change. Maybe you are worried about your "super special original point of view" (yeah right) being lost in another big thread, but too bad.

Please close this thread.

14. Starwars_1977-2005

Starwars_1977-2005 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 23, 2003
    As it has been pointed out, Han stepping on Jabba's tail doesn't work character-wise.

So now let's see what Lucas and Mc Callum had to say about changes in 1997 :

-they said that in 1977, technology got in the way of storytelling, and Lucas couldn't quite make the movies fit his vision (see SE97 making ofs).

But it looks like in the new Jabba scene, the one that fits Lucas vision, storytelling and character development take a back seat to technology, doesn't it ?
    They have Han walk on Jabba's tail because they can't do otherwise, make it look like semi-crap, just because they have the ability to insert a CG Jabba, but not the ability to reshoot the scene to make it work.

Never before has technology gotten in the way of storytelling and character development that much !!

It will never ruin the movie, but one has to face the truth : all that blah, blah, blah, about the changes and why they were needed in the first place is a joke. A big, bad joke.

Lucas shot first.

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Darkfalz, stop. I came across this same exact post twice within a matter of minutes. And really, this thread has nothing to do with the DVDs, so why have it contained in one of the DVD threads? :confused:

And just to comment on whoever said that the Jabba scene was originally supposed to be in ANH, but was cut because of contraints - sometimes it's better that these things stay cut. I don't really see a reason why it was put back in in the first place. I mean, like I said before, the entire scene is just rehashing ideas that were covered only a few minutes before.

Although, interesting idea about Han killing an "innocent" person if the Greedo shoot-out were to be cut(Jabba's "Why did you fry poor Greedo..." line). I agree that that would make Han come across more of a badass than anything.

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Oh boy, there is so much wrong with this thread. First, you all don't like each other and it shows. Bad.
    Second, it's redundant, because we do have a DVD changes thread and you clearly talked much about the DVD version.

Try better next time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.