main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I predict "attack of the clones" will be the greatest movie of all time.!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by homeless_jedi, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Lunatic

Darth-Lunatic Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2001
    homeless jedi, have you ever thought there may be more to life than Star Wars?

Just a question, how old are you?

2. Vanin

Vanin Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2002
    IMO Matrix is a rip off in a way...The Whole Chosen one, And how neo is like a god(Like Anikan)...And other things to. Its not a complete rip off and Does have a Uniqnes about it but like i said it does take some stuff from SW.

And i myself think TPM should have got the FX/SE oscars, But didnt as someone stated GL had to CREATE these Creatures and droids and Light sabers, Not just take it from someelse book and create it.

Anyways i think ppl should just stop bashing TPM and GL if you dont like the movies or him then......WHY ARE YOU IN THIS FORUM??

Just my 2 cents....Flame away.

3. Darth-Lunatic

Darth-Lunatic Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2001
    Then you could say Star Wars rips off the story of Arthur of Camelot. You could say Obi-wan is such a rip-off of Merlin. ETC ETC!!

HAving a chosen one is the backbone of a large amount of modern myths. Even Lord of the Rings has it, Aragorn being the chosen one.

Maybe Lucas ripped off Tolkien by calling his 3rd film Return of the Jedi. The third tolkien LOTR calle Return of the King. BUT HE DIDN'T!!

Stop saying all these people rip eachother off. It's all BS!!

4. jjay

jjay Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 30, 1999

Matrix was over-rated.

TPM sucked.

The original SW Trilogy rocked.

I own ALL the STAR WARS movies on VHS, VCD, and TPM on DVD. I'll get any future releases. I also own over 50 classic movies on DVD such as Audrey Hepburn movies, Hitchcock movies (almost ALL!!!), pretty much tons of great and classic movies.

I'm a big big big STAR WARS fan.

But I also have a life.

A good and well rounded life.

And life....is good.

Will get better very very very soon, oh yes indeed!!!

I love the summer of 2002!~!!!!!

5. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    SIDIOUSMD said:

Now, Neo must have been at least 25 years old dont you think? Did he have the impression of living all those 25 years in the 90s, what about the really old people that appear in the movie they would've been born in the 50s or 40s. But the matrix is set in the 90s, so how the hell did they get to live that long.

Does that mean that time stands still in the matrix? My guess is that they just blew it.

[I/]

No, the Matrix was created to creat a virtual world in the 90s. That does not mean time does not progress, people don't get older..etc. And who's to say that the system just does not reload time after a few years or a decade? They did it to Neo in the first movie after he eneters the interrogation room. One moment he is being quetioned then All of a sudden he is in bed waking up and it's morning time.

To say the matrix was ovr-rated is pretty counterintuitive. It was barely even rated. There was no big hype for the Matrix. Half of the reviews said the movie did not even make any sense. I only saw the film because I saw the commercials and it looked so cool and mysterious. I was totally lured in and got blown away by a great film. To say the movie ripped off Star Wars is ridiculous. If you want the inspiration for the Matrix, go a little farther in the past than that. Try the Bible first. Then you can look at Plato's Allegory of the Cave. Then you leaf through Alice in Wonderland. Then try Baudrillard's Simulacra and Simulations. The movie had a much deeper meaning and message than I have gotten from any sci-fi fantasy movies in a long time. The whole film itself was a simulation. Half of the people saw it as a geeky sci-fi flick with kung fu and effects and nothing more. Some others actually were able to pick up on some of the true symbolism and messages of the flick. It was excellent. Instant classic.

I also have to defend my beloved Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, which has been getting hammered in this thread. The movie was a masterpiece. Flat out. It had drama, incredible action, tension and powerful performances! The performances alone made it a better movie than TPM, no question. You're going to actually put this film up against Jar Jar and the 2-headed pod race announcer? The portrayal of Jen, the precocious, but impetuous and wild apprentice was how I wish Anakin was portrayed in TPM and how he is NOW being portrayed in AOTC. Also, isn't it interesting that CTHD had the themes of mighty heroes who loved each other but could not be together because of the warrior code? What a coincidence....

6. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    >>>>>>IMO Matrix is a rip off in a way...The Whole Chosen one, And how neo is like a god(Like Anikan)...And other things to. Its not a complete rip off and Does have a Uniqnes about it but like i said it does take some stuff from SW.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Like the post above me clearly states, The Matrix is anything but a rip-off. Besides, TPM and The Matrix came out the same year, and were made at the same time. Why (and how)would the Warshowki Bros. waste their time spying on what GL did?

The whole idea of the Chosen One goes back a long way. I keep seeing people here act like Star Wars is the originator of everything. What Star Wars does well is re-introduce past archtypes and myths, NOT invent.

TPM didn't even do a good job with introducing it. People didn't pick up on the Chosen one idea, and the murky explanation of midichlorians was already baffling for a Star Wars fan. Forget about it for a casual fan, they wouldn't get it.

7. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    Who cares if TPM sucked... it was still good, in a way... *flees* :cool:

8. HBMC_Kloon

HBMC_Kloon Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 23, 2002
    Green_Destiny_Sword:

Oh so what now? AOTC is a rip off of Leaping Bullfrog, Crouching Watermelon?

Please, "Lovers that cannot be together" has been around longer than it. Stop being so narrow minded.

Now I liked Hidden Salt-Shaker, Flying Catapillar, it was a fun movie and actually had a serious side to it (even if the in the tree tops scene was a little over the top for my tastes). But I don't think SW rips off of it.

Matrix was fun too, if gimicky. The next two films I'm skeptical about because people won't like the same gimicks being used again.

And I was going to say something to Darth-Lunatic but his last comment made sense so I won't.

BYE

9. darthdoug

darthdoug Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2001
    If you want to see a rip-off, watch Road Warrior and Waterworld. One's dry and the other is wet, but that's about where the differences end.

There have been so many movie made that it is impossible to come up with something totally original. You could say that Star Wars ripped off Bambi (both Anakin and Bambi lose their mothers). It's not a ripoff, it's just something that happens.

10. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    this is the real prediction thread. dont settle for those cloned threads. i am the originator.

11. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    this is a call to all true fans. i cant believe that guy started that thread about spider man. dude. you are way off. I saw spiderman because i had to go buy my star wars tickets today. so they offered me the chance to see it first i took the chance. spiderman is awful, acting is so lame. worst special effects i have ever seen.

here is to star wars!!

12. XV426

XV426 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    Spiderman. In a word: awesome. Happy to say, I responded more to the characters than I did the action/entertainment element. The CGI? Some say uneven, but they worked for me; it was like watching a comic book. The acting was great. Despite a couple of small weak links, Spiderman get's a big thumbs up (and the audience that was in attendence cheered like it was a sporting event.)

No doubt Clones will drop it into second place, but it'd have to take a Star Wars to topple Spidey.

13. Frank_Palpatine

Frank_Palpatine TFN Video Encoder • JC Icon Artist star 4 VIP

Mar 29, 2002
    Spider-man. In a word: craptacular. Tobey MaGuire's pubescent cracking voice made the scenes under the mask laughable. The CGI was shockingly bad, like a second-rate video game. Overall, the acting was passable, but not good enough to save this mess. Due to these weaknesses, Spider-man got zero response at the theater I watched it at. I give it a big thumbs down.

Spider-man makes X-Men look like a masterpiece. <Insert any blockbuster being released this summer> would drop Spidey into second place. AOTC will trample it like the non-factor it is.

* OK I've posted enough on this SW board about Spider-man now. Won't happen again. *

14. XV426

XV426 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2001
    >OK I've posted enough on this SW board about Spider-man now. Won't happen again<

Aww, and deny us your brilliant insight? Such a shame.

15. JEDI-JT

JEDI-JT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 26, 2002
    Oh brother.

Should have known from the title of this thread.

16. tDR

tDR Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I think i can sort of understand why Homeless_Jedi has spat the dummy... I think that he cant handle the fact that there are more trilogy's coming out that are starting to get a bigger audience (such as LOTR)

IMO, i cant handle it either, everyone said that Matrix rocked, that it was the best movie they've seen. so i went to see it... i should have walked out, IMO it was s#!t, the whole concept was just ridicilous.

and same thing happen with LOTR.. now i can undertand LOTR's success. but again IMO it was s#!t... i hope the next 1 will be better.

[face_blush]

i actually wanted to enjoy this film...

17. Frank_Palpatine

Mar 29, 2002
    Thanks for the flame XV426.

I was just stating my honest opinion as you stated yours. Just because I didn't care for Spider-man, it doesn't make my insight on the matter any less brilliant than yours. Good day.

18. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    yeah frank . nicely said. one thing i noticed about my thread here. is that it started out very positive. people were raving about episode 2. then came the bashers. the matrix fans. and they pooped on my prediction. they made fun of star wars. then is a twist of fate. people began to speak about spiderman. it had its up and downs.
    you have to understand this is not about spiderman or the matrix. this is about star wars. if you agree with me good. thank you.

19. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    spider-man first day $41 million!!
    UNREAL!

looks like spidey is going to set some new records come monday!

overall i still think AOTC will make more then SPIDER-MAN.

20. jacensky315

jacensky315 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2002
    Spiderman was a waste of time. The story was corny and what was with Green Goblin's suit. This movie just may have been worse than TPM. Aotc will crush spiderman. It won't win best picture. but it may just beat out Titanic in gross earnings.

21. Grilled-Sarlacc

Grilled-Sarlacc Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 19, 2001
    In case anyone cares, here are the top 6 grossing opening weekends of all time. Looks like Spidey is poised to pass Ep1. I am confident Ep2 will pass most of them.

#1: HARRY POTTER; $90,294,621
    #2: THE LOST WORLD; $72,132,785
    #3: PLANET OF THE APES; $68,532,960
    #4: THE MUMMY RETURNS; $68,139,035
    #5: RUSH HOUR 2; $67,408,222
    #6: THE PHANTOM MENACE; $64,820,970

22. doubleofive

doubleofive Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2002
    spider-man breaks all the rules.

for the first time in history, the real thing is made to look CG so that you tell the difference! even spidy just sitting against a grating looked CG, when you know its a costume!

*sigh*

the ending was way too self-righteous. its like the spider dna zapped all of his hormones! if i had kirsten dunst kissing me and admitting that she loved me, i would do everything in my (super)power to see that i ended up with her! but parker mumbles something about "great responsibilty" and walks away from her, leaving her crying!

as my friend kept saying about parker during the beginning of the movie while he was trying to be cool "oh yeah, i forgot, im a loser!"

at least anakin and padmé let their hormones win and not let "responsibility" get in the way. moviegoers want romance, not self-righteousness.

if they make spider-man 2, and mary jane ends up giving parker another chance after leaving her crying in a cemetery, ill be really disappointed.

*end rant*

23. wana

wana Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    Spiderman is not even going to be close to the total gross of star wars. hj. all those other threads have stolen all your ideas. but your the original.

24. Frank_Palpatine

Mar 29, 2002
    Take off the sock (wana) and show yourself, homeless_jedi! 8-}

25. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    wana you are wonderful :) so if my predictions come true are you still going to invite me to your home in england? i promise i will take you to the movies and then buy you some dinner.

hey frank. whats up old buddy. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.