main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I predict "attack of the clones" will be the greatest movie of all time.!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by homeless_jedi, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Actually, the Fellowship does have the potential to be the greatest saga. The books are incredible, so it's a great starting point. But I would not give it the crown yet.

So I am wondering about all of the people who told the critics of TPM on this site "The reaosn why you had problems with TPM is because your expectations were too high! You had your own concept of how the movie should be and had no respect for GL!!" How many of you have been on here saying AOTC will be the best of the saga?? Are your expectations too high??

That said, I am amped up for AOTC, I feel certain it has TPM beat out in terms of quality. I still don't think it beat out TPM in terms of ticket sales though. The hype for TPM was the most ever. Ever. how do you beat that?

And I feel bad because I have not read this thread since last week. but I have to respond to a post from page 10.

HBMC-KLOON said:

"Oh so what now? AOTC is a rip off of Leaping Bullfrog, Crouching Watermelon?

Please, "Lovers that cannot be together" has been around longer than it. Stop being so narrow minded."

I did not say anything about lovers not being together. I spoke about two warriors who have a code that forbids them from sharing their love with each other. The 2 warriors in CTHD were not "lovers." They followed the code until the end of the movie.
    And if you don't think Anakin is like Jen, then I guess you did not pay attention to the movie. In fact I wish Anakin was more like Jen in TPM. She was the perfect ultra-precocious, temperemental apprentice, intending to do good but often succumbing to evil. I am not saying AOTC is a rip-off, but it seems very, very coincidental that the same theme appears. Just like it seems very concidental than in the early promo illustrations for AOTC, Obi Wan strikes the same pose (sword raised above shoulder on the side of his face at eye level with his free hand extedned fully in front of him in knife position) that Jen strikes at the beginning of her duel in the training yard with Shui Lin, which was also used as a promo photo for CTHD.

Just like I think it's a very big coincidence that AOTC which was in pre-production in 2000/01 just happens to have a GLADIATORial arena scene.

from HBMC-KLOON-- "Now I liked Hidden Salt-Shaker, Flying Catapillar, it was a fun movie and actually had a serious side to it (even if the in the tree tops scene was a little over the top for my tastes). "

So the tree top scene was over the top, but the 2-headed podrace announcer monstrosity wasn't???? Please!! And you're calling me narrow-minded.

2. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    A lot of the Greatest Films of ALL time this generation hasn't even seen!

If you only knew....

3. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    There are thousands of great movies out there that do not have special effects. And most of them are Black & White.

Judge me by my color, do you?

4. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    i have just come back to work and went trough the boards.. and let me tell you about my obsevations. i have noticed that these critics are affecting the outcome of this movie. and why does the media listen to these critics? because they make money. do they care about the story at all? no.

so i ask to everyone of you . please dont be a follower. i know most of you did that for TPM. why do always people bend to please someone else? if you liked the movie. say it. dont feel ashamed.

saying that. my predictions for the 400mil in two weeks still stands. because star wars has real fans out there. this will movie will be a great hit!. no doubt there.

5. Darth Saber

Darth Saber Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 1999
    You know homeless, I have to give you a lot of credit. You're probably the most optomistic SW fan that there is in terms of AOTC.

When the reviews first started coming in, I was really pumped thinking that this movie will finally be liked by the critics. Not that I cared, but it is nice to not have to hear the mindless followeres mutter, "Oh, AOTC? That movie sucked!" over and over again only because of what some old, fat critic who has no grasp on Science Fiction/fantasy movies had to say. After the reviews have started turning negative lately, I again changed my mind thinking that this will soon turn out like TPM, and not be liked by the majority of the people.

But I'm going to keep the faith. Spiderman had mixed reviews, and the people obviously rallied around that. I just hope they can see through the critic bull**** and see this movie for what it is. One of the greatest SW films to date, possibly even rivaling Empire, (which I didn't know because I wasn't alive yet :D ) was trashed by critics as well! Shows how much they know!! GO CLONES!!!

DS

6. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    thanks ds. greatly appreciated.

7. Evacuation

Evacuation Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2000
    END OF DAYS 'bout sums it up methinks.

No more drinks for me. Goodnight world.

8. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    im counting on it.

9. wana

wana Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 25, 2002
    hj. your prediction is coming to reality. i think it already has made 200 mil. and this weekend it will make another 200. that will make your prediction come true. we are all depending on it.

10. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    so far my predictions have become a reality. specially the part about "the greatest movie of all time" i am sure you and many other can agree with me on this. about the 400. it has not been two weeks. so lets wait a little longer.

11. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    Sorry, homeless_jedi, but I don't think Attack of the Clones is the greatest film ever made. It's a brilliant film, but certainly not the greatest one ever. But, as I've seen in previous posts, you have pretty much closed your mind to all other films that are out there, which I find very sad indeed. Oh well. I wonder how highly Attack of the Clones will be judged in ten years time, however?

12. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    hey steve. thanks for locking that other thread "come on people" thread. made me angry. i must say that this one is the most positive threads of all. who needs negativity around here. well, according to most people i have spoken to in the industry, they do agree this is the best film they have seen to date. visually, digitally, creatively. and all other aspects of it.

13. Wookies-N-Cream

Wookies-N-Cream Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2002

while probably not the best movie ever, it's the best i've seen in a while. kudos to GL and the crew

14. BenQ

BenQ Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2001
    OK homeless jedi, now I think I see where you were coming from when in another thread you started demanding people be banned for saying they didn't like AotC (I still don't agree with you, mind you)

I would like to respong to your original post...

"1. the movie will make more than 400 million in two weeks.

2. children will rush to the stores to buy the toys.

3. it will win the academy award for best picture, soundtrack, art design, special effects and screenplay.

4. people will go see it more than once."

1. I think its clear it won't. To be honest I don't think any film will for at least another decade.

2. Nope, all the kids are buying Spiderman toys.

3. We will have to see, I predict 0 awards.

4. Yes some people will, and some won't, and some won't see it at all.

15. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    "nope, all the kids are buying spiderman toys."

according to who? hasbro has released some number figures and it has sold millions of AOTC figures more than spiderman. so. you are incorrect. kids are not buying spiderman toys, rather star wars toys.
    hj

16. NORTHSTAR

NORTHSTAR Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2002
    "i have noticed that these critics are affecting the outcome of this movie. and why does the media listen to these critics? because they make money. do they care about the story at all? no."

- I think a lot of the major critics are bigger Star Wars fans than you might think. I'm sorry to say that I agree with the majority of the critics that are negaitve on AOTC. AOTC being the greatest SW ever? Not a chance. But it sounds like you enjoyed the film so you have to feel good about that!

17. POTAStar

POTAStar Jedi Master star 2

May 26, 2001
    I think the Star Wars films are the greatest films ever made (and the POTA films also). And I think AOTC is the greatest one of them all.

For those of you who don't think this, there is one thing you have to admit...
    Star Wars is the greatest story ever told.

18. DarKnight

DarKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2000
    ^5 to JohnWilliams00.

Alot of the 18 and younger crowd need to go to Blockbuster and rent some of the greats of the past. Perhapes they could go to Cinescape.com or imdb.com and just start renting the 50 greatest films of all time beginning with #50 and going up the list from there.

19. Darth_Tyrannus

Darth_Tyrannus Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002
    Hey Homeless Jedi,

This Thursday is the "cut-off" date (Thursday, May 30th, is exactly two weeks after the Opening Day of "Attack of the Clones"), and right now, it is projected to total more than $220 million after Monday..

Domestically, it will be more than half of $400 million, and worldwide, it has already grossed more than $100 million. I know that it did strong in New Zealand, France, Hungary, United Kingdom, and Australia, so we will just have to wait until BoxOfficeMojo or the IMDB gets their hind ends in gear and gets us the worldwide results as well as the domestic results..

"Attack of the Clones" will definitely get a Billion dollars for total worldwide gross, but it has a lot more competition coming (Domestically) this summer than "The Phantom Menace" did.. So Domestically, I'd say that AOTC will do right around $400. I'd really like for it to beat Spider-man, but with Sony's trick of "locking it" in the number of screens until Memorial Day (and then adding about 200 more screens), it doesn't seem likely of catching it..

But no movie, not even "Spider-man" will get anywhere near "Titanic".. Episode III might have a chance at "Titanic", though... :)

The Academy of Awards absolutely hates George Lucas. Christopher Lee is a member of the Academy, but he will vote for "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" for "Best Picture" instead of "Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones". However, the Academy may gave CLONES either "Best Soundtrack" or "Special Effects", depending on how Peter Jackson does with the Gollum creature in "The Two Towers"..

20. DarKnight

DarKnight Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2000
    homeless_jedi:
    --"nope, all the kids are buying spiderman toys."

according to who? hasbro has released some number figures and it has sold millions of AOTC figures more than spiderman. so. you are incorrect. kids are not buying spiderman toys, rather star wars toys.
    hj --

I have seen the kids wearing Spider-man T-shirts and carrying the toys. Have I seen Star Wars T-shorts? Not for AOTC thats for sure.

H_J, don't get me wrong. I think Clones is an excellent film, but if Lucas would expend the same effort on script and characterization as he does for FX, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Spider-man set a standard that AOTC has not managed to match. Spider-man had good F-X, excellent script, and superb characterization (DeFoe's schizophrenic soliloquy is unmatched).

Blade Runner is great and deals with the idea of clones/manufactured humanity as a sci-fi subject a considerable amount of time before anyone else. Total Recall is another superb sci-fi film as well as good action/popcorn movie. Both of these films are a higher quality than AOTC.

For me the tripping points of AOTC are:

1.) Amidala's lack of character development. I understand that the relationship of Amidala aand Anakin is all about obsession. The audience definitely sees Anakin's obsession, but Amidala's obsession is merely implied.

She is obsessed with rooting out the corruption that is widespread throughout the Republic and the Senate. When she realizes that Anakin is passionate about uncovering the corruption and that acts as the ultimate catalyst for her attraction rather than Anakin's clumsy attempts to woo her.

Had AOTC a stronger script, such character development would have occurred.

2.) There are smaller nit picks that I shall place under this heading that sufficiently combine to make a second tripping point. The worst of which was why didn't Lucas have Yoda confront Palpatine rather than go to kamino to gather the clones for a confrontation on Geonosis?

a.) Why didn't Lucas have Zam use her changeling ability to escape the Jedi once she made it into the crowded bar? Surely, a good assassin would have utilized that ability once they were cornered by their pursuers? It would have made for great dramatic impact and demonstrated the ability of the Jedi to sense danger and use the Force to find an individual.

b.)Why would Yoda do that? Well logic dictates that Palpatine is benefiting from a mysterious order of clones which is suspicious considering the DNA template for the is a bounty hunter associated with the Seperatists. The first rule of investigating a mystery is to always be suspicious of the benefactor of mysterious circumstances. As Palpatine was the benefactor and as Yoda was obviously already suspicious, why didn't he confront Palpatine? Yeah yeah I know. Lucas is saving it for Ep. III. But I am afraid that that may have been the wrong choice in this instance.

c.) Also, if Lucas had shown more dissension on the Council other than Sifo-Dyas' mysterious actions on Kamino, Lucas could have hinted at one of the ways that the Jedi would be destroyed. Not only by an outside influence, but also, by mis-trust from within.

Lucas relies too much upon people reading between the lines which the audience wouldn't have to do if stronger scipts were written and better characterization were to occur.

21. homeless_jedi

Feb 16, 2002
    hello everyone. today is a sad day for star wars fans. the movie has lost the race, dropping to an all time low for a star wars movie ever. this deeply saddens me in the heart very much.

I must say my prediction was an overstatement (2 weeks, 400 miilion). I am very dissapointed at the fan base.some of you believed it was cool to see spiderman, cause your friends told you. others attacked us from high places( tv news). and for some unknown reason we were attacked by the media. in some instances we were looked upon as "nerds"

"this is a war that has not been lost yet" this film will be known as the best star wars film of all time. no doubt. and when you all realize how good this movie is, you will all return to see the film, over and over again, taking it to the top. but for now we lost the weekend battle.

concerned HJ. MTFBWY.

22. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    This movie is incredible, but H_J your hopes were a little too high. I wish it did as well as you predicted. It is not over yet, but we're looking at about $310 million domestic gross.

23. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    Get a freaking GRIP on things.

I watched Spider-Man. ::gasp::
    I watched Undercover Brother. ::eek:h no::
    I'm gonna go see The Sum of All Fears! ::damn me::
    Same with MIB2, Austin Powers 3, Minority Report...

24. Telemachos

Telemachos Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2002
    this film will be known as the best star wars film of all time. no doubt.

Huh? While I liked it, most of the people I know (and have chatted with here) seem to hold TESB in that regard. I've seen a few "AOTC is tbe best", but I also know a lot of folks who'd rank it #3 of the series, at best.

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, saying that "without doubt, it will be known as the greatest" is kinda weak.

Plus, what about Episode III, eh? ;)

25. Brobu

Brobu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 22, 2002
    I feel dirty for saying this but I have somewhat given up on my hope that the new and future Star Wars movies will be nearly as good as the OT.

Like I said I feel dirty, but I can honestly see LotR becoming a better trilogy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.