main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I predict "attack of the clones" will be the greatest movie of all time.!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by homeless_jedi, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    LOTR might become a better trilogy but it will never be my favorite. I love Star Wars and I love the PT.

RB

2. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    HOMELESS JEDI said: according to who? hasbro has released some number figures and it has sold millions of AOTC figures more than spiderman. so. you are incorrect. kids are not buying spiderman toys, rather star wars toys.

Ha! Yeah right...please PPOR.

DARKKNIGHT Said: a.) Why didn't Lucas have Zam use her changeling ability to escape the Jedi once she made it into the crowded bar? Surely, a good assassin would have utilized that ability once they were cornered by their pursuers? It would have made for great dramatic impact and demonstrated the ability of the Jedi to sense danger and use the Force to find an individual.

Good point! The only conclusion I got from her changeling ability was that it was just to show off some nice effects. It had no relation to the storyline at all.

But even if Zam was NOT a changeling, why not at leats take off her 1950's german motorcylce helmet and the handkerchief off her face? She could have just let her hair down and moved to a table and relaxed until she felt like she had a chance to kill the Jedi or flee.

Darknight on Yoda not confronting Palpatine: .)Why would Yoda do that? Well logic dictates that Palpatine is benefiting from a mysterious order of clones which is suspicious considering the DNA template for the is a bounty hunter associated with the Seperatists. The first rule of investigating a mystery is to always be suspicious of the benefactor of mysterious circumstances. As Palpatine was the benefactor and as Yoda was obviously already suspicious, why didn't he confront Palpatine? Yeah yeah I know. Lucas is saving it for Ep. III. But I am afraid that that may have been the wrong choice in this instance.

Thank you! I am so glad that more people are realizing this. What was Yoda and Obi Wan thinking for that matter? Obi Wan sees Jango with Dooku in the arena. Once the battle is over, why would he or Yoda not confront Palpatine? It's obvious that Dooku is playing both sides of the orchestrated Clone War. The only people who have benefited from the fake conclift are the Kaminoans, Dooku and Palpatine. The Jedi should know what is going on befor the movie is even over.

Good points.

3. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    In the immortal words of Homey...

as of today. april 28, 2002. I predict this new installment of star wars will be the greatest movie of all time. it will break titanic's record and any other film ever made.

here are my other predictions....

1. the movie will make more than 400 million in two weeks.

2. children will rush to the stores to buy the toys.

3. it will win the academy award for best picture, soundtrack, art design, special effects and screenplay.

4. people will go see it more than once.

i can be considered a psychic among my friends.

Attack of the failure at the box office.

a 56% drop on the third week. I'll see you guys at the video store in two months. I glad to see george knocked down for once.

4. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Does it really matter how much AOTC makes? As long as it's a great movie thats all I care about and AOTC was. It's teh second best SW movie in my opinion.

5. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I hate this thread. I hope it gets closed. It's a thread started by unrealistic expectations which merely gives all the bashers a chance to come in and say "I told you so!" or "How pathetic, AOTC ONLY made $300 million!" and "You guys are losers for being on a Star Wars forum."

6. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    fox. don't let them get to you. I admit I had high expectations for this movie. and I still have a hope that it will win the academy awards.
    but most fans I know have a tendency to check on the movie's box office everyday. people do not appreciate behind the story or the art put into the film.
    this was a learning experience for me as well. You get upset about the bashing that goes on in these places. I am a very positive person, and daily i get bombarded by negativity, you have to know how to filter out the bad.
    this film will not stop at 300 mil. there is just no way!
    another factor is that people cant afford to go see a movie. average price for a ticket is 9dlls. and many people are into dvd's right now. spending thousands on the dvd's. and that is not helping the studios.

like i said. this thread was a learning experience for me. maybe I was wrong in a few of the predictions. particularly, the first one. there is no need to bash anyone in here.

7. Forja-Bingbey

Forja-Bingbey Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    Welcome back to planet Earth Homeless.

And for the record, I'm not a film basher. I'm just one who dislikes people who make outlandish predictions.

You may find this new film to be the best movie that YOU have ever seen, but the fact remains, the people have spoken, and AOTC has not been well recieved. If Lucas wasn't so worried about being commerical savvy, and more open to suggestion, or creative input, he might have made a better film.

8. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Oh yeah. $232 million dollars in 3 weeks is SUCH a poorly received film.

9. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well ok, now I realize there are those elitists who are going to scorn me for saying this, and I am sure they feel their taste in film is so vastly superior, but I very much doubt they share my knowledge of the industry anyway, so regardless...

"Greatest film of all time? Nah."

In your opinion. In my opinion, AOTC IS the greatest movie of all time. Do I expect everyone to share that? No, duh, of course I do not. Greatness is only a matter of opinion. My opinion is that AOTC is the greatest film ever made.

A brief story here, why not? I believed that TPM was going to be the greatest movie ever made before it came out. Now I bet you are just thinking, "Wow this guy was setting himself up for disappointment!" Hey, speak for yourself. I saw TPM 50 times IN THEATERS and have ticket stubs to prove it; I wasn't disappointed. Before AOTC, I thought TPM was the greatest movie ever made, well along with the other 3 SW films at least. Before AOTC, from what I heard from fans and early reviews, I was really thinking, "Wow, this could actually beat TPM in my favorites list maybe!" I really never expected that because I just somehow thought Episode II would kind of fit into the saga in the middle somewhere, but at least for me, man, AOTC blew me away. Now I realize that many people just simply cannot think the same way that I do about Star Wars, but that being said...

How can any film be better than a SW movie when the visuals are vastly inferior (this applies 95% of the time, the other 5% the visuals are only "slightly inferior"), the music is never as good (even if it's by Williams, SW music is the greatest of all), the stories are never as epic or as strong (I love Ben-Hur, but it's not Star Wars), and no other films are as fun and as quotable. Sorry, but every other movie is dead in the water against Star Wars.

I LOVE The Truman Show, for instance, but try freeze-framing any given scene in a SW film and 98% of the time it's beautiful, it's absolutely stunning and something you cannot see in real life. In any other movie, for instance most critically acclaimed dramas, this is simply not true. So the plot has to somehow make up for far less impressive visuals, even though film is a visual medium. Uhh, ok, so how can ANY other ONE movie compete with an epic story lasting 13 hours over 6 episodes? It can't, simple as that.

Now as I said, I care little for an argument of whose opinion is more valuable because I think it's silly! I think everyone's opinion matters just as much. That being said, I am a film critic and professional entertainment writer along with being an author who writes about the film industry (with an emphasis on Star Wars, so far). I have seen every single film to open in 2002 so far in wide release, except three: Slackers, Birthday Girl, and Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

So, yes, I saw Crossroads, I saw Jason X, A Walk to Remember, Deuces Wild, Sorority Boys (oh the agony!), The Sweetest Thing, and a ton of other HORRID films. Aside from that, I saw a lot of very good movies too. I definitely consider myself an avid moviegoer and moviebuff. I just saw AOTC Tuesday night for my 81st showing of a film in theaters THIS year!

If you would like to get an idea for my movie views, you can check out my somewhat inactive site at JLBMovies.com. The only reason it is not active right now is because of AOTC, actually. It's hard to see a movie 15 times in 20 days and continue to maintain a movie site, so you'll have to excuse me, but I have seen every new release since AOTC came to theaters too, it's just I have not put up my reviews yet. The site will be back on track for good this month, absolutely.

So as I said, film critic or not, I don't think anyone's opinion is more valuable, it's just I don't want anyone assuming I am some idiot who sees 8 movies a year and has never seen the classic films of the past. I happen to love many classic films (you can notice my AFI reviewing project at jlbmovies.com/AFI100.shtml though I'm not as far through it as I wanted to be; I'm getting there, takes time to review

10. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    *Applauds Bowen* You hit the nail on the head.

For me, the Star Wars movies are the greatest of all time because I want to live in that galaxy so much it hurts. No other movie has such a seductive wealth of detail, such vast scope in storytelling, such characters that I love dearly. I always feel sad when thinking about 2005 because the journey will end there. We'll never have a double trilogy like Star Wars again.

AOTC tops my list because it made me love Anakin (despite, or perhaps because of, his internal conflict), love Obi-Wan, and even love the Jedi Order (which seemed rather unappealing in TPM). I'll truly miss the Republic when it falls. The OT will never look the same again because now I finally understand that sad smile on Obi-Wan's face when speaks of those days "before the Dark Times... before the Empire."

11. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Yeah, haha, the OT seems kind of more depressing now that we have seen these two prequels. Of course it all makes more sense, but yes Obi-Wan must be so bummed that he's living on frickin' Tatooine in his old age when Jedi of the past could be overseeing important issues from their chair in the Jedi Council chamber ;)

But his job is extremely important, nonetheless. After all, his encounter with Luke sets the events in motion that lead to the prophecy (of the one who will bring balance) actually being fulfilled. By Anakin, I mean, of course.

Said earlier:
    "You may find this new film to be the best movie that YOU have ever seen, but the fact remains, the people have spoken, and AOTC has not been well recieved."

Uhh, huh? The people HAVE spoken -- AOTC is a fan favorite. It is beating ESB on some polls, in fact, but at worst it almost always comes in second among the five films so far. If you don't like it, you are really, really missing out. Even the people who didn't appreciate TPM are loving AOTC, so you're in the tiniest minority there is my friend.

Check out what "the people" have to say at http://www.cinemascore.com -- AOTC got an A- overall grade from moviegoers, and I'd say that is pretty darn good considering many of them probably really do not fully understand it, yet they still loved it.

AOTC has had rough declines at the box office partially because it is the fifth in this series, which is always hard (any series is difficult to sustain after a while), but even more challenging, AOTC REQUIRES knowledge of the rest of the saga! TPM did not. You could be a total Star Wars airhead and appreciate TPM. Of course, to appreciate it fully you obviously had to know the OT inside and out, but to enjoy TPM on a pretty superficial level you could just go in with basically no knowledge. Now AOTC is really facing a difficult position. It's in the middle of this saga basically, because it's after TPM and assumes that you have seen TPM (thus you know why Anakin is with Obi-Wan, you've seen Anakin's boyhood infatuation with Padme, etc), then it also assumes you've seen the future movies, which is even kind of unusual perhaps (it works, obviously, but new moviegoers born 10 years form now will need to see the movies 1-6, then sit down immediately again the next day or so and see them 1-6 again to understand them; even seeing them 4-6 and then 1-3 just once would make absolutely no sense as the saga requires two full viewings).

Many moviegoers do not quite get the "death of me" line that Obi-Wan says, haha, so that has less impact, and perhaps some of them don't even fully understand the death sticks scene as they don't get the whole Jedi mind trick power. It's extremely likely most normal moviegoers have no clue who Boba Fett is and seeing the kid, they do not understand how that has any importance whatsoever. They may not even quite put 2 and 2 together with Palpatine and Sidious, who are the same character no matter what some idiots would like to think, LOL. Man, you'd have to be so blind... That's another subject though, go find the thread on it ;)

Now this is really stupid, so I'm not saying this is most moviegoers, but I have heard stories of people who had no idea that Anakin is actually Darth Vader later on and they didn't at all understand that Padme is Luke and Leia's mom. LOL.

I hate to say this because Star Wars has always been a series everyone can enjoy, but AOTC is very much a fan-favorite! It just is not meant as much for the public. The public is really enjoying it for the awesome special effects and the "cool" factor, but they are not understanding the movie like most of us fans are.

I saw TPM 50 times in theaters. I understood it perfectly after those viewings and after many, many months talking on TFN and other forums about the movie. I have seen the OT countless times. I am an expert on this saga, as many of us are here, but that required actual dedication in much the way a scholar would study seriously for months and years to learn something. I have studied the Star Wars Saga very

12. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    In my opinion, my favorite of all 5 films is AOTC. And I rank the film just slightly above ESB.

13. Gilgamesh2

Gilgamesh2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 16, 2001
    Well this prediciton, was it a personal feeling or something you thought the general public would catch on to?

At this point it would and could only have to be personal. Cause it's not even the greatest movie of all time, not even close, not even that great of a sci-fi movie.

14. BrendanWOR

BrendanWOR Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 24, 2002
    "At this point it would and could only have to be personal. Cause it's not even the greatest movie of all time, not even close, not even that great of a sci-fi movie."

Jeez, aren't you the supportive SW fan.

15. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Gilgamesh has not always been the most supportive PT fan.

16. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    hey bowen thank you for the support. this thread had it's up's and down's. you have just made it even more eventfull with your responses. I am glad to meet someone like you who can appreciate this film as much as I have. this "is" the greatest movie of all time. no doubt there. and your the proof.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.