main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I predict "attack of the clones" will be the greatest movie of all time.!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by homeless_jedi, Apr 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShiftyJedi

ShiftyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Yeah! it's the People's Choice Award but not everyone votes. Same thing with the Blockbuster, it's voted by customers of Blockbuster or anybody who visits their site.
    But 30% of the Population lives farther then 10 Miles from Blockbuster. And some people like also hate Blockbuster because they control the ratings system and the Home Entertainment Rental Industry which means they influence how movies are made. Except for Lucas. Sorry I pointed out your error earlier but AOTC of the Clones that is gotta be the funist thing I've heard in a while, thanks for brighting up my day.

Amadaus: Was a great film but not better then ROTJ. No Way...............!

2. Timen_Es_Rath

Timen_Es_Rath Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    This movie has the potential to surprise us all with it success. Don't doubt its potential.

3. d8camjordan3

d8camjordan3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    what have all of the star wars movies been nominated for? list all four and their nominations

4. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    [copied form page 3 -- I hate being on the bottom of page 3]

Sorry but I kind of disagree there about the Academy. I feel I have to defend them a bit. It seems really popular to make fun of them for being crazy or weird in their choosing of films when all along they probably have it right (not all the time, but most of the time).

I'm a film major and a MAJOR film buff, and I've seen perhaps all 70 out of the 75+ Best Picture winners. Yes, that goes all the way back to Gone With the Wind, From Here to Eternity, to recent ones like A Beautiful Mind and Gladiator.

And these films ARE great. Some are better than others of course, but most of the time, I can find much value and worthiness in these films. The Academy isn't "on crack" like many suggest. They have a pretty good judgement believe it or not, and when people SEE the films they actually nominate, I hope their image becomes more respected.

I mean, has anyone actually SEEN the films they nominate before making fun of them and calling them boring or snobbish or stuffy? In the Bedroom? The Thin Red Line? The Insider? These aren't lightweight films nominated for no reason...they are great examples of good filmmaking, with strong dialogue, acting, storylines, and characterization.

If Sci-Fi tends to be ignored, that's because, simply, there hasn't been that many great ones anyways. Most of the sci-fi are mindless drivel like Mission to Mars or Red Planet.

The best Sci-Fi, like A New Hope, and Close Encounters, and Aliens, and LOTR (fantasy) have been nominated. And deservedly so -- they represent the best in all facets of the filmmaking craft. Wonderful imagination, technical expertise, and a profound timeless quality with maybe a bigger message for humanity. If you meet those requirements, the Academy will honor you.

I'm not picking on you personally shifty, just addressing the overall tendency here for labling things when they should have a more complete picture of it. And remember, to be nominated is a great honor still. There are only five slots available, out of many films. SO ANH should be proud. It didn't win but neither did Close Encounters that same year. Annie Hall is a good movie btw. 8-} They're all great.

5. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    1978:

Best Picture - Annie Hall.

6. CIDLORD

CIDLORD Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 6, 2001

1977 best picture: Annie Hall.

Since 2002 Oscar ceremony was on march, the 2002 awards are for movies released in 2001.

I think one thing is the year the movie was released (ANH, august 1977) and a different thing is the year the picture received a movie award. So, I think if ANH had received best picture Oscar, it would have been in 1978. And 1978 best picture was The Deer Hunter, which I'm suppose it was released in 1977 as well.

Please tell me if I'm wrong.

7. d8camjordan3

Nov 14, 2001
    "the deer hunter?"

i see the mtv movie awards as the best :)

8. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    SCREW THE OSCARS

THE ONLY AWARDS THAT COUNT ARE THE ONES THAT THE FANS VOTE ON.

LIKE MTV MOVIE AWARDS AND THE PEOPLE CHOICE AWARD.

THE OSCARS HAS TO MUCH POLITICS INVOLVED.

9. yoda900

yoda900 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    First off, I want to ask if the $400 million in 2 weeks is for Domestic only, or WW gross, if it is WW Gross and they all open on May 16th, it is very easily possible, though domesticlly that would be a much tougher challenge but not impossilbe.

If AOTC made $55 million opening day and throughoutthe opening weekend, then thaat would give it $210 million in 4 days, $100 million in just 2, setting another record. then if that was the case, M-Th it would most likely do $30 million thus taking it to $350 million just before Memorial weekend and easily go to $400 milllion by then, but again this is quite a strech. I dont doubt it will do more than Harry potter which did have one day where it made like $33 million so this one may do $35-40 possliy so it could get to $400 in 4-5 weeks.

As far as each successive movie making less and less, not true , in thier initial releases, they all made more than the next thanks to inflation, but adjusted for inflation and also with rereleases overall Star Wars did make the most of all of them so far. AOTC has 3 years of inflation to build on.

As far as TPM not being popular, again, silly, it made $431 million, not unpopular.
    The only problems is that it was so overhpyed it was easy to be disappointed, and it did generate many negative reviews and such, so far with AOTC I have seen nothing but good things said about it from every source, and all message boards I have seen, as well have said they think this will be the best star Wars film ever.
    Also to prove TPM was not unpopular is for a huge blockbuster it made about 17% of its total in opening weekend, usually blcokbusters are about 30%, that means it had staying power, plus it so many big time movies to compete with.
    Only Titanic had a number that wa way off like it made 5-6% of its total in opening weekend, something I will never understandthe reason for, but that is a fact.
    TPM was number on for only 3 weekends til Austin Powers came out.
    Whereas AOTC does have many huge films to comepete with this year, but spiderman and scorpion king will already have passed when it opens, and the next supposed big movie is Scooby doo on the 14th of June which means AOTC should be number one for 5 weeks, which will boost its momentum (that is one reason titanic had so much, every week that went by that it was number one they bragged about it and more people came to see it), and if scooby doo does not be number one, then July 4th will be the first one to boot of out that position (MIB 2) if not that, then AUstin Powers 3 opens at the end of July or beginning of August, it has room to make a lot of money for a lot of weeks, the rest of the huge films come out in the fall and early winter.

Also someone said somthing about star wars hard core fans not liking the Forbidden love trailer as much as the others. Well, I think the marketing of this movie is well done, it had 4, not 2 trailers all direcvted and diffrent audiences, and as for forbidden love, that will appeal to teenage girls who like love stories (it has been long rumored that teenage girls saw titanic over and over again becuase of the love story) this could pllay a big factor. I am not saying that there are not die hard teenage girl star wars fans, but mostly they are guys.

I believe AOTC will make over $500 million domestically, possilby even make over $600 million and beat Titanic, and a long shot goal, I would like to see it be the first domestic flick to hit $1 billion but that is a very very very long shot. but a guy can dream, can't he? lol

And I have seen nothing but good thigns about this movie. It will make the people taht did not like TPM see it more.

Well, that is my 2 bits for now.

10. Horse-Droid

Horse-Droid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2001
    If AOTC turns out to be fanatastic (which I reckon it will be...and sure hope it is) then this is likely to give people even more ammunition to say TPM was awful. That is going to be a bit sad I think.

Like, "AOTC that's how Star Wars should be, not like the dirge that was TPM".

Incidently I won't agree with this as I loved TPM, just as I loved ANH in 1977.

11. DarthMoses

DarthMoses Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 22, 2002
    I'm going to have to defend the Academy as well. Simply because movies voted on by the fans are usually shallow pop-culture inspired works of crap. Films like LOTR, Moulin Rouge (awesome), and A Beautiful Mind deserve to be nominated for best picture because they are visionary, works of art.

An example of a crappy fan-nominated film is "The Fast and the Furious". People didn't go to see this film for plot, character, or deeper meaning, they went to see it for the freaking cars. This is what the average American movie-goer nominates for Best Picture.

I enjoyed the movie, dont getta me wrongo, but it was pure matinee-one time material.

The Academy recognizes brilliance, for the same reason the Grammy's will never fully honor N'Sync or Britney Spears. Its face-value "cool" BS...that does not transcend.

12. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    I'll take a big poop on The MTV Awards and the People Choice Awards 8-}....those are just popularity contests. If you're sexy and hot, you automatically win an award! Gee, so much better than the Academy. (rolleyes) [face_mischief]

13. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    STOP THIS TALK ABOUT AOTC MAKING $400MILL IN TWO WEEKS. THAT'S NONSENSE CRAZY TALK.

HP open in 3600 theaters and made $30+ fri and sat.

AOTC will probably open in 2900 to 3200 theaters. iam hoping it makes $30mill on thurs,fri,and sat. and make about $25 on sun.
    but that is big time hoping.

iam a big fan of movies and love it when certain movies break BO records. it's like a baseball, homeruns getting broken every year. i love it. and it would so cool if AOTC breaks every BO record in the book.

14. SamuraiYoda

SamuraiYoda Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    lol, I don't think I've ever laughed this hard on this forum ever before...

Beat Titanic?

No.

Win awards at the oscars?

Critics will TEAR THIS MOVIE APART. It's a Star Wars film. It HAS to suck. I mean- it's not called "Star Wars Episode II: A Beautiful Mind" or "Star Wars Episode II: American Beauty."

AOTC will get destroyed by critics, whether it is great or not.

Personally, I know it will be perfect...but...hardly anyone will like it (or claim to just so they don't seem like geeks) and it will not make $400 million so quickly.

And yes, kids have already got the toys. All of them. Including me.
    ;)

15. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    I STILL SAY THE OSCARS SUCK!!

i love the mtv movie awards. it's funny and it makes fun of movies, doesn't take it self seriouly.

and it ain't 4 hours of people thanking their lawyers and pets.

16. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    DarthMoses: An example of a crappy fan-nominated film is "The Fast and the Furious". People didn't go to see this film for plot, character, or deeper meaning, they went to see it for the freaking cars. This is what the average American movie-goer nominates for Best Picture.

Good point. Most of the general public nominate shallow films in these other awards shows. It's not that the Academy is "snobbish", shunning popular films and only awarding strange, small independent movies. Many popular films have been nominated for Best Picture (and won) -- Raiders of the Lost Ark, Sixth Sense, ANH, Close Encounters, Gladiator (won), Crouching Tiger, The Sound of Music (won), Gone With the Wind (won), The Godfather (won), Jaws, etc...

I swear one year I think I saw Twister nominated as Best Picture, not the oscars, but some other weird awards show. I nearly died laughing. It's a fun movie, but Best Picture? (Actually the category was "Movie of the Year" I think) [face_laugh]

smaul: Well, if you don't like the Oscars, then you could just say you prefer other awards shows. But don't disparage the Oscars just because you don't agree with their nominations. If you find the MTV Awards more entertaining, that's great, but please don't bring the other award show down for no good reason.

I personally like the Oscars and enjoy watching them. Without them , who will honor the great work of art that comes out of the world of cinema. Foreign filmmakers like Truffaut and Fellini and Kurosawa have been brought to greater attention when their films won Oscars.

Pixar got it's attention when it's short films won an Oscar, and they went on to becoming a great company making great films.

17. ShiftyJedi

ShiftyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    The Matrix: Snubbed (over American Beauty)
    The Fifth Element: Snubbed
    Shrek: Snubbed (A Beautiful Mind)
    Empire Strikes Back: Snubbed
    Return of the Jedi: Snubbed
    These are classic examples of movies not nominated that should have won. Why did they not win. Because they where to pop art for the Academy. You know what that means, it means that they cannot envision movies that change how movies are made. They are the films that people look on influence. The Academy is too old...They nominate good films and sometimes give it to the true winner (Gladiator) but most of the time their too old to know better.
    P.S. I saw the Insider, I looked forward to it I even made sure I taped it. Guess what, not that good. Russell Crowe overacting a part. They are the Catholic Church of the film industry always condoning what they think is wrong and praising what they think is right and eventually saw it was wrong of them to do it.

18. d8camjordan3

Nov 14, 2001
    i hated the fifth element...the bad guys were ridiculously fake and that chic with the red hair was ugly...willis was the only good part of the movie

19. smauldookie

Mar 5, 2002
    the oscars suck!

THE OSCARS SUCK!

20. darthdoug

darthdoug Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2001
    I know it's off-topic, but what's with all the negative Catholic references? That's the fourth or fifth one I've seen today.

EDIT: I don't think we should discuss this. Just try to keep it in mind.

21. funky-gonk-droid

funky-gonk-droid Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2002
    Christopher Lee even said that he thought it was moronic that the Academy failed to give FOTR the top prize this year, and I totally agree, the Academy just don't seem to go for fantasy films, which I think is ridiculous.

22. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    Shrek won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature over Monsters Inc. and Jimmy Neutron.

It wasn't eligable, so it [couldn't have been nominated for Best Picture. Frankly, it's overrated. The technology is there, but that's just half of it. You still need a better story with a deeper meaning and Shrek's story is still by-the-numbers and pedestrian upon repeated viewings. I give it credit for being clever at certain times, but it doesn't knock your socks off that much.

Fifth Element for Best Picture!!?? [face_shocked]

23. FiveHorizons

FiveHorizons Jedi Master star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    The Matrix? Fifth Element?

Anything, anything with Keanu Reeves should not be considered Oscar worthy. The Matrix may have been pleasing to the eye, but the story was horrible and there was no character development. After taking a few English classes, there's a few things you learn about plot and storyline and whatnot. The Matrix lacks all of the above. The Academy, although skewed and pretentious, tends to nominate movies with actual credibility, not because they're pop-culturally "cool."

The Fifth Element was nothing more than Bruce Willis playing Bruce Willis for the 50th time in his career. I'm sick of seeing the same regurgitated roles over and over. That film was simply laughable. Each person has their own opinion, so I'm not saying you're wrong in valuing these films, but come on, there's got to be a little more than science fiction action for a movie to be nominated.

BTW, you might want to rethink that Catholic church response, or take it to the Senate. Not that I disagree or anything ;) but you might open up a nasty can of worms.

24. Kelyne

Kelyne Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 1999
    Fifth Element should not even be mentioned in the same breath as Star Wars. Maybe somthing like "Battle Beyond The Stars" or "Ewoks battle for Endor" or better yet "The holiday Special". If anyone has a gripe with Phantom Menace go watch the Holiday Special.....now that is just plain @!@!@@#.

25. DarthPolonious

DarthPolonious Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2002
    First off Shrek was not snubbed it won for best animated film. In fact the title best animated film was invented by the acedemy this year, IMHO to give a best picture Oscar to Shrek. Now to the subject at hand...

If AOTC is as good as I am beginning to think it will be, it will, over time make a ton of cash. People love Star Wars, a lot of people not just hardcore fans. TPM got a lot of bad mouthing so they did not care, but AOTC, when everyone says "oh my god this film is awesome," those people who waited for TPM on video will go see AOTC in the theater. IF and I do say IF it is THAT good, it will be the highest grossing movie of all time. As far as Scooby Doo being compitition? Well if Scooby Doo is even viewable I'll eat my hat and post a video of it on the force dot net!Heck the trailer for Scooby Doo made me wanna puke! Daphney talking like a valley girl and doing Kung Fu, what the hell is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.