main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I regret stuff because I'm lazy.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    As some of you may know I am a high school student, and also by my username you could deduce I'm lazy (I didn't put it there for no reason). Recently I have been looking up classes for next year and found out I have made a terrible mistake. Not because I missed something somehow, but because I'm lazy. Right now I could be in AP Calculus heading into Calculus 3 next year, but no because I was lazy in middle school and I didn't take Algebra 1 and Geometry. Instead I played stupid ****ing Minecraft.

And if you have already been like tl;dr on this yet, you may be like Lazy why do you need to take those classes anyways. The thing is that I want to to become an astronomer or astrophysicist one day, and I could be way ahead in my studies by now. The only reason why I came here to rant is that if I talked to anyone on the IRL side of things, they would laugh and tell me, " I told you so" and I very least all you guys can do is laugh at me.

That is my current life problem.

tl;dr: **** you Notch and your giant mansion for enabling me.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It's just high school. Most people don't take calculus before college. Not the end of the world.

jp-30 likes this.
  3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Perhaps you shold consider a position in the game creation industry.

Thuro and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  4. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Sheesh, man. It's not like you're 40. You have plenty of time to become whatever you want. And all those hours playing Minecraft weren't wasted; those pointless and ugly constructions don't build themselves.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You're not going to ruin your life because you're a year or two behind in math -- those HS courses are single semester courses in college. How well you do your work is a lot more important than being ahead in your studies.

So stop wasting time beating yourself up over being lazy in the past and be proactive about whatever you're doing right now.

Thuro, harpua, EHT and 2 others like this.
  6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    If anything my back-up is in the film industry, because that stuff is easy (and I would rather do harder things).

I'm trying to be proactive by taking FST, pre-calc, Physics and Astronomy 1, and for my senior year AP Calc, AP Physics, AP chem., and maybe Astronomy 2.

Also for my grade level I am a year ahead in math and science, but I could still be further.

EDIT: Also if I fully capitalized on my time in middle school I could be done with in foreign language requirement and know German.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Or you could use the extra time you have for not being ahead by doing an internship or apprenticeship or something. Or research stuff. Or do volunteering. Or a sport. All things that look nice, make you more well-rounded, and allow you to think about something other than pure academics too. Doing AP Calc and the AP sciences senior year puts you in a perfectly good position for college.

So stop kicking yourself for not being a prescient overachiever. I mean, you could've been a child prodigy who played the violin and solved math theorems at 5 but you're not either so you do the best you can with what you have, and what you have is good.

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Your life is over, high-school kid.

@};-

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    So what if your maths is weak, I bet your hand eye coordination is off the hook. You've probably half qualified to becoming a surgeon, or a fighter pilot without realising.

Ender Sai likes this.
  10. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Or a blocklayer. Good money in the trades.

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Also plumbing, no one attempts their own plumbing. Plus all that time playing mario means you've probably half qualified without realising.

12. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    sucks to be you then

Ender Sai likes this.
  13. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    one thing i don't usually tend to associate with astronomers and astrophysicists is laziness. you are dooooomed, man. doomed

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is some skill involved in Minecraft. And I'm not saying that to take the piss out of you; there is actually a version of Minecraft that schools can buy to use on classroom computers so that teachers can incorporate it into lessons, particularly math.

Worst case scenario is you might have to take a heavier course load in college because you didn't take as heavy a load in high school. But it's not like Notch blew your potential astronomy career. And if you pass your AP exams for those courses you're taking, you'll start out with a lot of credits anyway.

Master_Lok and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  15. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    nah, he's doomed. let's face it.

16. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    i've always thought that after school tutors could do it via online multiplayer games like call of duty. they could join up with their students and teach them while they blow **** up.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL. Minecraft.edu does not include zombies, skeletons, Endermen or creepers.

18. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I didn't take calc until college. From what I've seen with friends who have taken AP calc in high school, you're probably much better off anyway, especially if you want to become an astronomer.

19. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    fallen behind on your calculus - well we've got our own problems

20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    In general taking AP classes is a pretty good idea if you have access to them and can do well. My son started college 9 credits farther along the road to graduation. He needs something like 45 credit hours to graduate. And if you're paying sticker price for a top university, that can be $5,000 or more per credit hour, so the $700 or so we spent on AP tests was well worth it. Also it helps the college admission process, if you're trying to get into a decent school.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  21. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    lol I told you so!

22. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    While taking those classes in high school is great and might give you a small head start in college, I agree with those who say it really isn't that big of a deal.

What is a big deal is that you recognize the mistake you've made and you can start to correct it. Laziness is a habit, start breaking it now or it will follow you to college where it's a lot easier to be pulled into more bad habits. I agree with Jello, volunteer, shadow someone that's in the field, etc. Those things will help you get into college and help you get away from the laziness.

It's great you have a goal in mind, that can really help you get out of this habit. This sounds really stupid but it might work: Put things up that remind you of your goal. When I was in college and wanted to go to med school (I changed my mind about 2/3rds through)I put up on the wall the average GPA of the accepted students to the two med schools I really wanted to go to. Every time I had to make a decision about going out or studying for a test the next day, I would see that and really evaluate if I was ready for the test and could go out, or if I should stay back and study.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    If you were truly lazy, this wouldn't even be bothering you in the first place.

24. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013

You need to properly allocate your laziness over the span of your life. If you use up your allotted laziness in high school, you won't have any left for your adult years. It's better to sprinkle laziness here and there throughout life than to clump it all together in one segment of your life.

Like spaghetti. If all the sauce is only in one corner of a plate of spaghetti, you'll have mostly dry spaghetti. Don't fall victim to dryness. Evenly distribute your lazy sauce.

25. Lazy Storm Trooper

Sep 18, 2012
    Firstly thanks for all the advice.

My OP was 2 am me over-thinking things because I was trying to fill out my course request paper while listening to StarTalk Radio and thinking about the girl I like who is taking more advanced classes.