main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I regret stuff because I'm lazy.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Feb 16, 2015.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You shouldn't beat yourself up over not getting further ahead for your target college career considering the odds of you sticking with that path are, on the whole, pretty low. AP courses are nice for the reasons Jabbadabbadoo outlined, but not so much as an indicator of future career work.

If you're serious about astrophysics (And, again, don't marry yourself to the idea, when I was your age I thought for sure I was going to be a chemist) then frankly all of the AP calculus in the world is not going to be enough preparation. It's based in two dimensions and gives you next to no background for more important concepts like multivariable differential equations, vectors, and even more advanced concepts like differential geometry - hell, you're barely going to get a whiff of it in Calculus 3. If that's not reassuring, then in terms of raw numbers I can honestly tell you, from firsthand teaching experience, that the distinction between a student who took AP Calculus BC and a student who took through Calculus 2 at the collegiate level is essentially nonexistent in Calculus 3. The former are, ironically, often more unprepared for the realities of the workload in conjunction with other mandatory courses. AP Physics is also effectively worthless as you may be forced to retake part or all of the material it covers for major requirements - at my undergraduate, AP Physics got you out of the utterly worthless algebra only physics variants.

In fact, of everything you listed, the single most useful course is going to be AP Chemistry, because it can potentially get you out of a general requirement to take freshman level courses in a second science. If you're serious about pursuing the sciences, everything else is up to what you do in undergrad so that you can get into a good grad program.

2. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Don't beat yourself up about a few courses, at least you have a career goal in mind. When I was in high school I had no idea what I wanted to be/do.

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Me neither. I still don't know.

tom likes this.
  4. Hank Hill

Hank Hill Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2013
    I think you need a visit by Mr. T

5. Obi_Wan_01

Obi_Wan_01 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 17, 2001