main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I saw my first dead guy today...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    If you saw a body under a cover, did you really see a body?

Also, hey, isn't this thread like three Doors songs?

2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    No, I wanted a reaction shot.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Rogue Dead Guy is a great ale.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    In Nederland CO, they have a 'Frozen Dead Guy Days' celebration, once a year. Some people have their dead grandpa frozen in a tough shed on their property. It's basically mountain man, do it yourself, cryogenics. Every year, there is a festival to celebrate grandpa... complete with coffin races, pancake breakfast, polar bear club dip in the lake, live music, etc.

http://frozendeadguydays.org/

5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i saw a ton of dead guys when i was living in la. you're a sheltered little baby tunes.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I see dead people relatively frequently... sometimes I'm the one making them dead (as in taking them off the ventilator, not anything illegal), sometimes I'm helping to bring them back to life. Such is the life of working in a hospital.

If he was already dead... and very dead, as in pronounceable at the scene, he really didn't need EMT's who's work would be better served helping people who can be saved.
    It's quite possible it was part of a crime scene and they were finishing that up, or they were waiting on the coroner/medical examiner.

7. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I have a neighbor who is an EMT. He describes to us at least once a week a donorcycle crash. Some are lucky and lose a leg or an arm. The really unlucky ones cross the yellow line into a truck and they get to pick up the pieces of the body. Recently one poor guy crossed the line on his bike, got hit by a semi and killed instantly. His body parts went flying all over the road, then his friend ran over the leg and crashed. Him and his girlfriend on back got hurt by the body and flipped out completely.

8. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [​IMG]

"I saw Schrodinger's cat."

9. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Mav wins. :p

Darth_Invidious and mavjade like this.
  10. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I have lived on military bases for 70% of my life. So, you could say I live in a bubble.

-1.17 million dollar were spent effective April 1, 2014 to reduce emergency response times to 8 minutes or under, in Colorado Springs.
    Source: http://gazette.com/new-ambulance-se...-springs-coffers-council-told/article/1516199

-Map showing all healthcare centers in the area of the crash (Red dots), which includes a major hospital. The black dot is where the crash took place.
    [​IMG]

-I could not find any other things that happened yesterday, but I personally I saw one other accident on the way home in which a semi jack-knifed and fell off the highway. As far as I could see there were no emergency services at that incident other than a police cruiser.

-I personally saw about six or seven police and their cruisers blockading the scene.

-Also this guy was laying there for at least and hour by the time I saw it.

-Also if that was my loved one I would be rather mad at the fact no one picked up the body and transported it elsewhere.

Mr. Ender is there anything else you wish to see?

It was a motorcycle accident.
    I saw a part of the legs.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You didn't respond to mav, and she makes the most sense. If the person was already dead, it's likely they were waiting for a medical examiner or coroner. EMTs are there to save lives. There's not much they can do with a dead body.

12. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

Depends who you are.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  13. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Depends on how it happens. For example if a call comes in that says a motorcycle accident and not much more the EMTs show up. If they say the victim has split into a few parts and is clearly dead and its relayed to EMS then they don't bother. Sometimes they are called to nursing homes and a patient has stopped breathing with a DNR. At that point they take them to the hospital to have them called by a doctor. But in smaller towns the EMTs do show up to take away a body because there is not real coroner's office. Instead they are taken to a local hospital.

I was told to ask the local EMS if you want to know how good a nursing home is. They can tell when a patient is neglected by the staff and dies.

14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Like, are you bothered by the fact it's a dead body, or the fact that first responders seemed to take their sweet time in getting there? Because I have genuine suggestions as to how you can cope with the fact it's a body, but the other is just beyond me.

15. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Dealing with a body is easy. Dealing with a Motorcyclist hit by a car who thinks he is about to die and wants you to call his family to say he loves them is totally totally horrible. Fortunately the guy made it out alive with a broken back. God that day truly sucked. The kid who hit him was on his way to the police academy to take his state police exam.

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Sorry, she posted while I was typing. I understand that the EMT are there to save lives, but in a hour or so time-span someone should have picked the guy off the road.

It mostly the first responders not show up to take the body away. I know that death is a natural part of life, so the body didn't bother me much, but I find it sad that the man passed before his time.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Pffft, I was a witness to a murder in '08.

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Lazy, so you did the research and Mav's post aside, you're still willing to stick by your critique of emergency workers?!

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Christ, beez, those are some depressing stories.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not 100% sure (because it's not as though I like committing these things to memory for later internet bragging rights), but I don't think I've ever randomly happened upon a dead body. At most I may have driven past a fatal accident like our Lazy friend. I also caught a glimpse of my grandmother's open casket (wtf is wrong with people who do that) when I was little, but that shouldn't count. Essellgee and PRENN rag on Tunick and LST for being "sheltered"-- as though it's a common thing in the developed world to see a stranger's body on the street. It's not. Not even in the U.S. where everything is riddled with bulletholes.

21. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    That's death for an EMT. They clean up your screw ups. This time of year they get really busy in the summer for all sorts of summertime stupidity.

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Indeed it is, I work in a hospital.

23. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I like that there's an implication in this thread that, "Well, saw a dead guy - it was bound to happen, I guess it's better sooner than later!"

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    "Haha you sixteen year old, you haven't seen a dead body before!"

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i saw that durst fred guy today. he was working in the deli at target.

JoinTheSchwarz and harpua like this.