main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Det, MI "I see,sir Luke"

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Idgie, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idgie

Idgie Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2001
    Okay,here's my geek-topic for the day:

Sometimes it's the little nuances that stand out.I always liked that bit in the Lar's garage where C-3PO is trying to figure out what to call Luke and at one point he addresses him as `sir Luke',which I took to be a off-handed reference to Luke's heritage and eventual destiny of knighthood.

Anybody else think that when they heard that?

Threepio addresses just about everyone as `sir',but that was the only time he addressed anyone as `sir' followed by their name.

2. huttese1138

huttese1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2002
    I think sometime's star wars fans take too much out of a situation, myself included. I think that C3P0 was just perplexed by lukes personal response, and was searching for another prefix.

3. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    I always thought it was a natural response.

I'v always thought that he served in the royal court on Alderon. And in doing so he would great royalty as sir and mam.

4. TheHuntressDiana

TheHuntressDiana Jedi Padawan star 4

May 4, 2001
    It's just like Geoffrey from Fresh Prince who addressed all the younger people with specific titles: Miss Ashley, Miss Hillary, Master Will, Master Carlton. He called Mrs. Banks "Madam" and Mr. Banks, Mr. Banks. ;)

That's all I really see 3PO doing. Luke's rebuffal of the titles probably stumped his programming, so "Sir Luke" was what his program came up with. 3PO could've just used "Sir," but that's what you do with people you don't really know. For all intense purposes here, Luke is 3PO's new owner, thus "Sir Luke" was probably the least his programming would allow for addressing him. Of course, it later turns to "Master Luke" and with Leia, "Mistress Leia."

I wouldn't read too much into it Idgie. ;)

5. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    I'm still not convinced otherwise.Then why does he never say `sir Han',or `sir Lando'?

6. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    "Captain Solo" or "General Solo" has been used by 3PO.

As for Lando...I don't think he's ever addressed him in the movies.

7. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    To Han:

"Sir!I've isolated the reverse power coupling!"

"But sir,no one seems to worry about upsetting a droid!"

To Lando:

"Hello sir,I am C-3PO,human cyborg relations.My facilities are at your...well really!"

Of course,none of this proves that my original idea has any more merit,but they are examples of the droid referring to others as only `sir'.

8. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    I just can't see there being any insight to 3PO's way of addressing people, much less Luke. There's nothing so far (in the movies or the books) that leads me to believe that 3PO used "Sir Luke" as some kind of nod to his heritage and training to become a Jedi.

You may not buy it Idgie...but I don't see there being anything to this one. It's just a title...and one that he doesn't use any more.

9. Idgie

Mar 17, 2001
    It's not a big deal,I just thought it was a nice little nuance.I don't think the droid had any insight into Luke's life/family;I just wondered if Lucas may have been tipping the audience off to something.Forgive me.

10. TheHuntressDiana

May 4, 2001
    Hey it's cool Idgie.

I was basically just saying that, "you couldn't sell me your oasis in the Judland Wastes." :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.