main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I sense Lord Vader is in danger"--Did this also exemplify Palps and Anakin were really close?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by Darth Sin, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Sin

Darth Sin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 14, 1999
    There has been much said that when Sidious/Palps arrived on Mustafar and found Anakin near death, and then placed his hand on his head which appeared to show that Palpatine did have some compassion within, particularly toward Anakin.

But I also think another example that he possibly really cared for Anakin, was when his battle was over with Yoda, he told Mas Amedda to have his ship ready to go, because he felt Lord Vader was in danger.

Now did he sense this because now he and Anakin were both Sith, or was it actually because they had a close relationship, and that Palps/Sidious did actually care for him like a son?

It made me think of Anakin's own dreams about his mother being in danger from AOTC and for Padme in this film. But it also made me remember when Yoda told Luke that "Through the Force many things you will, "the past, the future, old friends long gone"

I also thought about Darth Maul's fate when looking at Anakin's. I really think that Palps certainly wanted to use Anakin for his own personal plans and goals, but I also think he did care for Anakin like a son, as opposed to Darth Maul. And because of this, I really wonder did Palpatine sense that Maul was in danger when he fought the Jedi? I am going to guess that he did not, because he and Maul did not have a close personal relationship as he and Anakin shared.

I actually think Palpatine and Anakin were friends, as well as like father and son.

Darth Sin! :cool:

2. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    Force Users all seem to be able to sense the Future, so did Palp's . as to his caring for Anakin, i think Anakin was an Investment, like Maul/Dooku .If Palpatine really cared for him he would not have been so cruel as when he say's " it seems in your anger , you killed her " that was Cruel!. he did'nt really care enough , IMO. I think he has some level of pride in the turning , and strength of Anakin .but he is more than willing to toss Vader aside for Luke. I think he just needed worthy successor, No matter who it would be.

3. Force-Keeper

Force-Keeper Jedi Master star 5

Jun 16, 2004
    Palpatine has always been able to see right through Anakin. So, he knows what Anakin feeling and thinking most of the time. Therefore it?s very possible that he?s more than likely able to sense if Anakin?s in danger or not. He doesn?t really have to be his ?friend? to do that, IMO. But, he does care for Anakin as much as he?s really just using him. Palpatine placing his hand atop Anakin?s head on Mustafar is proof of that.

4. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    Palpatine placing his hand atop Anakin?s head on Mustafar is proof of that.

I was under the impression that that is a Force Technique , like how ObiWan did it too Luke in ANH . but i agree there is likely a shred of humanity in Palps.

5. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    i don't think there's humanity as such to palps. it's more like he knows the human nature inside out but doesn't need it himself. more like having studies human behaviour and being an expert.
    but at that point he might still believe anakin can give him what he wants. so maybe he thinks anakin would need the little touch. not like reaching out to him.

6. Thulium

Thulium Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 1999
    Yeah, as much as a Master and Apprentice of Evil can be, yeah. Two really good friends who both know that the other will eventually try and kill them. [face_beatup]

7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, I read something about Exar Kun sneaking into Coruscant to bail out his apprentice...so it's pretty obvious the Sith to watch each other's backs, until they decide to turn on each other at least.

8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I've always had the impression that when a Sith Apprentice turns on his master, its usually not personal and that he's just exploiting weakness.

9. DUGGY

Apr 23, 2005
    ^^^ it is absolutely expected. " Darth Vader will become more pwerful than either of us " it's expected, and it also seems like a source of Pride for Palp's.

10. cymbalmonkey

cymbalmonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2005
    I've been wondering about the back stabbing nature of the Sith and also their loyalty to eachother in other instances ... in one moment Vader wants to overthrow Sidious and in the next he's blocking a leathal saber blow grom Luke and saving his life ... Vader also brings Luke to the Emperor, when logically, he could attempt to seduce Luke himself and not deal with Palpatine ... then Sidious rescues Vader from Mustafar and then tells Luke to finish him in ROTJ ...

This has lead me to believe there must be some kind of Sith Code of Honor along the lines of 'only the strong survive" or 'survival of the fittest" ... Perhaps the Sith Apprentice (Vader) must atleast adhere to his Master's (Sidious') wishes because he is the stronger ... Like how even though Vader is secretly plotting behind the Emperor's back, he still follows every order given to him ... he my bend the rules/orders slightly to his own advantage, but Vader still remains loyal " i must obey my master ... Perhaps a Sith apprentice may only betray him Master if he is the Stronger, and vice versa with Master's and Apprentice's ... Sidious was loyal with Tyranus until he proved to be too weak and that Anakin was stronger ... later, Luke proved to be stronger than Vader ...

with Maul and Vader being destroyed by Obi-Wan, those were unforseen ... Palpatine would have rushed to save Maul to maintain the strength of the Sith Line as he did with Anakin but couldn't ... Palpatine saves Vader to maintain the Sith Line and there were no apprentices' waiting in the wings ...

11. Yodas-evil-twin

Yodas-evil-twin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 3, 2005
    The Sith apprentice is treated like tool. Nothing more.

12. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    There is no compassion in Palp whatsoever. Telling Vader that he had killed Padme and then smiling at Vaders anger is proof of that.

13. DarthJiangWei

DarthJiangWei Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 3, 2005
    Palps probably cares for Bantha Poodoo more than he cares for Vader sentimentally.Vader is his tool, his pawn used for control of the galaxy.

14. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    There's a tremor in the Force that only certain Force users can comprehend. I think Palpatine was familiar enough with Anakin's presence to feel his power. He probably felt it when Anakin first set foot on Coruscant.

It's the same when Leia tells Han about Luke: He wasn't. I can feel it.

Palpatine throughout the saga claimed in some way or another to see the future. Here, he senses something isn't as it should be concerning Vader and flees the capital in time to reach his apprentice on Mustafar.

15. Tyrantus

Tyrantus Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2004
    I don't think he was showing any true compassion. His new weapon was in some kind of danger and he didn't want it dead, so he went to preserve it.

16. Anguirus

Anguirus Jedi Youngling star 2

May 27, 2005

He tells Maul and Vader the exact same thing before their respective duels: "Be mindful."

But with Maul, not only did he care less (though Maul was a significant investment of his time, he wasn't exactly the Chosen One) but he may have sensed that rushing there would not help Maul...he's DOA.

Plus, he just got elected Supreme Chancellor..he probably can't just step off for a bit.

17. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    According to the TPM novel, Sidious wasn't at all pleased about Maul's demise. I doubt it if Sidious sensed Maul was in danger of losing his life. Maul after all had both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan beat and appeared to be in no real danger. I think Sidious must have at least saw in the future and saw Kenobi and QGJ both dead, the treaty signed, and Maul still as his apprentice. But Anakin never had Obi-Wan totally beat. A Sith apprentice is nothing to be taken lightly and a Sith Master doesn't want to go through the rigourous strains of training another apprentice from scratch, so Palpatine does have a care for this reason.

Plus in TPM Palpatine was caught up with very important poltical matters.

18. jedi_ethan

jedi_ethan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 9, 2005
    He doesn't care at all. Anakin is just his tool to gain power. When Anakin is not the best one anymore, he just wants to get rid of him like a broken toy. Placing on his head could be a way to try to feel his lifesings, and realize how injured he was

19. masterluke9

masterluke9 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2005
    Palps obviously orchastrated the entire thing. From the demise of Maul to the killing of Dooku, Palps failure was failing to relize that Vader's power had become greater than his own. Unlike what Palps did to his master. Palps cowardly killed him in his sleep.

20. voodoopuuduu

voodoopuuduu Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 22, 2004
    I also thought about Darth Maul's fate when looking at Anakin's. I really think that Palps certainly wanted to use Anakin for his own personal plans and goals, but I also think he did care for Anakin like a son, as opposed to Darth Maul. And because of this, I really wonder did Palpatine sense that Maul was in danger when he fought the Jedi? I am going to guess that he did not, because he and Maul did not have a close personal relationship as he and Anakin shared.

Palps may have sensed Maul was in danger and readied his ship the same as for Anakin under the pretext of his "official duties".

21. Jedi_Hoppin_Bun

Jedi_Hoppin_Bun Jedi Youngling

May 31, 2005
    I don't believe Palpatine cared for Anakin like a friend, but more like an investment. Once Order 66 had wiped out almost all the Jedi, there were not many force users left in the galaxy. Of those force users that were still left standing, not one of them could rival Anakin's abilities (heck, even before Order 66 was executed that was true). However, the point is, after Order 66, it would have been extremely hard for Palpatine to find another Sith apprentice if something happened to Anakin. He had to protect the Sith line.

22. Galathor45

Galathor45 Jedi Youngling

Oct 7, 2005
    The way I saw it was a power-hungry man trying to keep his precious tool from being damaged, until he had no other need for him or wanted another apprentice that is. Anakin was (or atleast after fully trained) the most powerful apprentice he had yet, he wanted to preserve him.

23. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    The fact that Palpatine ordered Luke to off his dad 23 years later only proves that he never cared for Anakin. And the fact that he had Anakin kill Dooku, proves that he didn't care about Maul or any of his apprentices or even a potential apprentice like Luke since he jolted him with thunderbolt lightning after refusing to go to the dark side. Top all of this off with Palpatine killing his own Master and you get a very self centered, evil man who doesn't care about the Sith, just himself.

24. BlackRook

BlackRook Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2005
    Even if Sidious doesn't truly care about Anakin, I think he, like all Sith, have a sense of camaraderie and do, in a sense, care about each other, though only in the loosest sense of the word.

The exceptions here being Maul and Tyranus. Sidious considered Maul a tool (in LOE, it's hinted that Sidious later regarded that as a mistake, but for what reason isn't explained) but didn't anticipate his death, while it seems he planned right from the beginning to get rid of Dooku when he stopped being useful. With Maul, he didn't have an immediate replacement in mind, but he already had his eye on Anakin when he approached Dooku.

I think Sidious may have sensed Maul's situation on Naboo, but there are a lot of factors that separate Naboo from Mustafar. Sidious still had to be careful to maintain his public face, so showing up to help Maul would've cost him more than Maul was worth. Add to that, Sidious had sent Maul specifically to fight the two Jedi, but hadn't counted on Obi-Wan suddenly showing up alive on Mustafar to battle Vader.

25. KissMeImARebel

KissMeImARebel Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Interesting thread....I admit the "placing-his-hand-on-Vader's-head" moment has stood out for me. Even if it is some sort of Force-healing technique, the gesture in of itself is one of compassion.

However, I don't think that Palps ever felt more than fleeting compassion for Vader. I suppose that after years of dedication and roping in of Anakin, he probably felt close to Vader - but it was likely in a narcissistic fashion: "look at the great apprentice I've trained and dedicated so much evil plans into shaping" kind of affection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.