main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I sense much fear in you.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by BrideofVader, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrideofVader

BrideofVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    Does anyone catch a double meaning in this line, that perhaps Yoda is afraid of Anakin, and is trying to avoid his own dark side? The thought had occurred to me recently, and if someone else has thought of it before I have on this board, I could not find it. (By the way, the search didn't tell me if there were results or not, just took me to the main page of the PT forum.)

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I don't really get what you mean...

I think the line only means that they can all sense Anakins deeper emotions he is trying to cover up. He's fearful for his mother,for Padme and for his future. He's afraid he'll never see his mother again,He's afraid he'll be rejected by the Jedi order.

He tries to cover it up by just repeating that he's cold,but the Jedi can see past his mental barriers and they feel the fear,and as Yoda says Fear is the way of the darkside.

I guess if Yoda felt fear,it would be because of the Fear Anakin feels. It makes him so much more vulnerable and his power makes it dangerous.

3. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I see what you mean. I've always maintained that the fear Yoda felt was his own (and the Council's). He wasn't listening to his own advice, and let his fear of the future dictate the way they treated Anakin, which ended up in being a large part of their undoing.

4. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Being cautious is entirely different from being fearful. He does the same with Luke in ESB; he's not being fearful of him, he's being cautious. Which is why i don't think he was being fearful here.

I do think it's interesting how opposing Yoda and Qui-Gons views of Anakin are; Yoda sees the doom ('Much danger'), Qui-Gon the glory ('He will bring balance'). Yoda sees the fear; Qui-Gon the compassion etc etc. Ultimately; they were both wrong and right. They both should've seen that Anakin wasn't ready to leave Shmi yet; Qui-Gon didn't see it because he lived too much in the moment, and Yoda didn't see it because he was focusing on the future.

- O_F

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Actually he means the fear of letting go that he could already sense in Anakin. Don't forget the famous speech "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering." That's Anakin's journey to the Dark Side in a nutshell and Yoda felt it way back then.

6. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    But Yoda still was feeling fear about Anakin's fear. ;) ...And fear leads to anger...etc.

7. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I agree with you rhonderoo, you are right, they treated Anakin badly and then expected him to be on their side when Mace was about to kill Anakins second father figure (Qui-Gon being the first) that had the power to save Padme. Really, the council did the same exact thing that Anakin did in ROTS, they let their fear lead the way instead of the force, giving him the shaft when it comes to training. Onething I dont get is why they would expect the chosen one to progress at the same rate as they did. I mean look at Luke, he progresed really fast, ofcourse I wouldnt coinsider him to be as good as Anakin was, but it was still a huge improvement and Im sure he was farther than Anakin was at when he began his training. Had the council just trusted in the force and let it guide then as Qui-Gon did, everything would have been good.

Well, thats my 2 cents.

8. BrideofVader

BrideofVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 18, 2005
    "Great fear, I have in his training." --Yoda

You sure it's still just caution?

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    "Your feelings betray you."

"Your thoughts dwell on your mother."

I think that ties right into the "I sense much fear in you" line.

Yoda knew the Dark Side was growing stronger; I think he was afraid of what Anakin's arrival meant for the Jedi and for the Republic.

We never get to hear the exact wording of the Prophecy, but I would bet that "dark times" are a part of it.

10. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Yoda, personally, did not fear Anakin himself. He feared Anakin's potential, which he could use for either the Light Side or the Dark Side. He could either be a great asset, or a feared enemy. The Jedi simply didn't want want to risk it. They didn't want to train him until they had no other choice.

11. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Yoda was only advising Anakin. Yes, he passed the council's test but inwardly Anakin wasn't without fear and the entire council knew this. How can anyone say the fear that Yoda spoke of was his own? We know that's not true at all. Yoda's only fear about Anakin was that Obi-Wan wouldn't be able to train him to perfection, which turned out not to be true. Anakin did un Jedi like even before his turn but even when he was a Jedi, he was more impressive than not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.