main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I, Tahiri Veila (post-FOTJ, Tahiri, Ben/Vestara, Antilles & Horn siblings) Chapter 15 11/9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by rebel_cheese, Jul 21, 2011.

1. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Well, happy birthday. :)

Is it good or bad I can really see Jaina's side here? Although... with those two examples, Tsavong Lah and Caedus, the first was TKing her lightsaber into his back while he had her dead to rights and the latter she was almost killed and Caedus is the most pathetic Sith Lord in history. Just saying. ;)

Wait, what's a Nexu again? :confused:

2. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Big cat-like critter that goes after Padme in Episode II.

3. rebel_cheese

rebel_cheese Jedi Master star 4

Jul 6, 2006
    Thank you. :)

It's actually a good thing because you know that jaina isn't necessarily being a bad guy, she's just really mad. As for those two examples . . . Tahiri isn't a "meta" woman, she's not aware of genre stuff or the fourth wall or how us Earthlings perceive Jaina and her accomplishments (or the foes she's dispatched). Also, she served Caedus so Tahiri probably found him a threat, for nothing else but her own pride at the every least. I'm writing this from Tahiri's POV, not my own even though I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

Draconarius described a nexu pretty well (A Wook article will do that :p). And Anji is damn close to full-grown. Food for thought there.

Post in a bit.

4. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Eleven

After leaving the Temple through the front entrance, I do manage to find a speeder that looks anonymous enough that stealing it won't instantly bring Coruscant security down on me. Which, of course, is what I do.

I know, dumb, right?

Pretty nice ride, actually. Comfy and handles well. Of course, that means nothing in the insanity of Coruscant traffic, but I'm able to manage. I have no choice. Now that I'm in the move, it's like the force that's calling me has gotten stronger, as if knowing that I am coming. And I'm able to tell that it's an actual call for help now, not anything that seems nefarious. Or, whoever's doing it is doing a better job of making the call seem more benevolent.

I know that any minute now, Jaina will send out the call to Jag. The time will come when I won't be able to leave the Temple, not unless I'm a fully sanctioned Jedi Knight again and so killing me would bring consequences to the Imperials. But that would be pathetic to join the Knights for that reason. That's the coward's way to do it. I don't want to live as a coward despite my fear.

But I don't want to die a coward either.

I wish I could discern words, or even a voice, from this feeling. It's like a compass that's pulling me to it, that I can tell the source is screaming for help. But I want words. I want a voice. I want more than a mere suggestion that this is Amelia. I want to hear Amelia's voice, or her words. Not an indication or gut feeling.

Why the heck am I assuming this is Amelia, anyway? Why did I think that the moment the feeling possessed me? It's not like I was explicitly told to "help Amelia", but that's my assumption. My automatic assumption, actually. Why?

So much of this doesn't make sense and every time I consider it a trap, the feeling just gets stronger, as if the source can detect my suspicion. It's creepy, and if it is indeed hostile or some abomination like Abeloth I'm going to have to deal with it. Who knows how Abeloth-things are created, and whether Abeloth made it so more of her, him, "it", could be made.

Or maybe it's some hidden Killik nest and they want me to be their queen.

If that's the case, I'm going to be exterminator extraordinaire. I am not going through the Joiner crap again. The only good Killik is a dead Killik.

Well, okay, they had info on Abeloth that helped end her, him, "it". That earns them, what, one point on the forgiveness meter? Not good enough for them to avoid extermination.

The force tugging me seems to slap me in the mind for thinking that I'm being lured by the Killiks. Very immature. Maybe it's Amelia after all, assuming Amelia's even Force-sensitive.

Which makes this even more curious than before. I don't even know if Amelia is Force-sensitive, and here I'm assuming, again. But at the same time, Luke seemed to give me permission to go back in the Temple, so maybe it is Amelia .

Or maybe it's the Killiks and they want me for their bug "intimacy".

I'm slapped in the mind again. Headache. Ow.

Okay, I'm leaning towards bratty little kid.

The feeling seems to tell me that I should know who this is already. I'm wondering why I should.

That's when something lands in the roof.

Shavit.

I ignite my lightsaber and stick it through the roof, and I hear somebody cry out above me. Seconds later, I see a body and a red lightsaber fall in my rearview mirror before vanishing. Poor guy, he's going to have plenty of time to curse himself for his decision before going splat.

Bye, random Sith Saber.

No other Sith try that trick again. Maybe they can sense that I'm on edge and ready for them now. Or maybe they're bringing up heavier equipment to dispose of me.

Or maybe I'm not the target to begin with and I just caught the guy completely by surprise. Considering no red lightsaber came down through the roof . . . maybe the Sith was just jumping from speeder to speeder to get to his destination.

If that's true, ouch. Really. That Sith lived his whole life, survived the Lost Tribe getting scattered and

5. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Okay, thanks for the Nexu info, Draconarius. :)

Now... okay, good my POV isn't totlally wrong. ;) Also, why could I hear Yakkity Sax in some of the places in this post? This is a good thing, BTW. ;)

6. DarthBellumSolo

DarthBellumSolo Jedi Master star 1

Mar 26, 2008
    Very interesting fic, I like.:) Tahiri - class, Ben and Vestara - much love this pair, and Amelia, which so handily finishes with nexu - reminds me of Jacen[face_love] .
    Wait the continuations. [face_batting]

[face_devil] Bel [face_devil]

7. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Well, it seems going to the dark side chews up your luck in a real hurry. Because between their failure back on Arelia, that guy Tahiri randomly saber'd and the other guys getting ripped apart by a nexu, I'd say this group of Sith is pretty well cursed. Now, I wonder where All--I mean, Amelia is taking her newest friend.

And, Jaina, really? You couldn't have waited to call your husband until after your niece was safe? Sheesh...

8. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    You'll get a glimpse of Jaina Solo's POV later. MUCH later, but later. And yeah, I was thinking I made the scene a bit too silly, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. :p

I'm glad you're enjoying the fic so far and the character dynamics. :) I hope you enjoy the rest as it unfolds.

Add on to the fact that Abeloth got defeated and the Lost Tribe has been scattered, the Lost Tribe is pretty well cursed indeed. [face_laugh]

We'll see soon enough, it's a quite interesting environment. [face_mischief]

Who says that Jaina called her husband on this one? [face_devil]

The next chapter will be another interlude, this one involving Vestara.It is significantly longer than Scylla's interlude, and I hope people like it.

9. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Interlude 2

This was Vestara Khai then.

The battle had criss-crossed throughout all of Coruscant, ending in a showdown in the Senate itself. Abeloth had dropped all pretenses, and her true, monstrous form had revealed itself. Vestara had attempted to keep up with Ben and Luke Skywalker, but as the battle progressed, she had gotten caught up in various battles, and now, as Ben and Luke faced the abomination inside the Senate chambers, Vestara was stuck directly outside in the hallway, fighting several Lost Tribe Sith at once.

That was when she felt it.

A jolt through the Force so stunning and so terrible that her heart trembled and her eyes, narrowed for battle, sprung wide open.

She knew the jolt. And it was dying.

The boy she loved.
    '
    Suddenly, nothing could keep her from the chambers.

"Get out of my way!" Vestara became a weapon, her lightsaber merely an extension. Four, five, six, or even more, Lost Tribe Sith became victims to her assault as she spun through them, and then used the Force to blast the nearest set of doors open.

There she saw a creature so terrible she could not help but stare. And Luke Skywalker was fighting the creature alone.

She felt a Force presence fade, and she looked to her left, where the void was appearing.

There, she saw the youthful, red-haired body of the one she loved.

No.

No, no, no, no.

Not here. Not now. Not after everything.

The galactic clash was forgotten. So's the battle outside.

She dropped her lightsaber to the ground and it extinguished from existence. All that mattered was that boy lying on the ground. Tears forming in her eyes, she ran at a dead heat, right until she reached the boy and slid to a stop. She turned the body over, to look at the boy's face.

His eyes were closed, his face was dirty, and he was not breathing.

"B-Ben?" Her eyes looked down, and she saw the cauterized hole where the boy had been impaled with a lightsaber. Suddenly, Vestara had a vision of the monstrous Abeloth using the Force to rip Ben's own lightsaber from his hands, have it hover in the force, and stab Ben right in the stomach.

No.

The tears, kept at bay with her fear, poured out of her eyes, clouding her vision, choking her throat.

"Ben. B-B-Ben. P-P-Please."

There was only sorrow. Sorrow and pain, as she gripped the boy's unmoving body and cradled it in her arms. The weight meant nothing. Nothing meant anything other than the one she loved was dead.

"W-Wake up, Ben. P-Please. D-Don't do this to me, Ben. Wake up. W-Wake up."

By the end, her voice was a strangled, despairing whisper, her throat so choked, her lips so trembling, that she could hardly form words.

Her tears dripped all over the boy's face, and there was no response. There would never be any response. A response was impossible.

She rubbed the boy's face, kissed him, and struggled to whisper any coherent word she could manage. The pain ravaged her body, the sorrow absorbing her soul, transporting her to a private realm where it was just her and the body she was clutching like thin rope.

But soon, there was more.

Affection and anger.

No. That wasn't it.

Love and
    rage.

Her love for the boy had become so strong that it was more than a part of her. It was integral. It shaped her, identified her.

And her rage was powered by the cruelty of her love being ripped away.

Damn the Force! Damn destiny! Damn the hideous impossible creature!

She
    will not let the boy die!

She screamed into the Force, screamed into reality, shrieking in her love, rage, pain, and sorrow, and swirled everything she could find into her.

Energy poured into her, and she became a conduit. The energy blasted into the boy, into his wound, into every part of his body as electric neon blue energy crackled around Vestara's body.

It did not matter whether the energy was light-side, dark-side, or some gray zone in-between.

Vestara used it all.

Soon, her screaming stopped, and so did the energy. All that was left was exhaustion, and a headache. But

10. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    Gyah, you're making me like Vestara! :mad::mad:[face_mischief][face_laugh] okay, interesting piece, especially about Abeloth. Although you might wanna check your italics in the middle section.

11. DarthBellumSolo

Mar 26, 2008
    Splendid, I much love and Vestara and Ben. [face_love] Has Amused the mentioning about "spiteful" Han.[face_laugh]

12. Maggy

Maggy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 2, 2004
    great updates
    cute how Allana is saving Tahiri's backside after her having saved hers ;)

=D=

13. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Heh, I'm glad Vestara is coming off as likable. I don't find her a bad character at all, and I actually really like the fact that she's a snarker. I really enjoy writing snark so Vestara fits my writing style really well. Anyway, yeah, Abeloth killed Ben with his own lightsaber and Vestara brought him back. In case it isn't obvious, Luke did kill Abeloth.

I fixed the italics in the middle section, thank you for reminding me.

Uh, there was no line about Han being "spiteful" but maybe you're talking about him handing people's "exhaust ports" to them despite being old enough to be their grandfather. XD I'm glad you enjoyed the Ben/Vestara.

Lol, yeah, though you must wonder how much Allana needed saving considering what Anji did to the Sith. [face_laugh]

The next chapter returns to the main story and it'll stay there for a while. I am debating putting the project on hiatus for November due to NaNoWriMo, but I have not decided yet. If I do put the project on hiatus, expect a double post at the end of October to make up for it.

14. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    I apologize for the delay. It's all on my end, I just could not get on a computer long enough to post this.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Twelve

I don't know how long we charged through the brush, but eventually Anji tires and we slide to a stop so roughly that I fall off the nexu and crash into the mud.

I know the old saying "Stop the ride, I want to get off", but I doubt what people want is to be ejected from the ride and crash into the ground.

At least it isn't like hitting duracrete. That would've hurt more.

"You okay?" Amelia asks me.

"Yeah, I guess," I say, as I sit up. My body's a little sore, and it's becoming apparent to me that I'm starving, but other than that, I'm okay. Certainly better off than if the Imperials had taken me captive, that's for sure.

Would they dare to follow me in here?

I don't think so. Not even stormtroopers are dumb enough to start messing with the remaining Yuuzhan Vong flora and fauna. Especially since so much of it thinks humans, or most beings of this galaxy outside of maybe Hutts, are tasty. And I'm sure a few of these creatures and plants probably find Hutts appetizing too.

Of course, now a little girl has been brought into this cruel part of the planet.

Not just any little girl. The adopted daughter of Han and Leia Solo.

If I don't get Amelia out of here, I might as well just kill myself. Nothing will save me if Amelia dies.

I get on my feet, and mercifully nothing's broken. I look at Amelia, who is petting her beast of a pet, and say "We can't stay here. It's much too dangerous."

"No duh," Amelia says. She begins fiddling with some kind of datapad as she talks. "I made sure we didn't get too far in, kinda, sorta . . ."

She looks up at me and gives me that "little kid screwed up big time" smile. "Uh . . . I think we're farther in than I wanted."

"Joy." But at least I don't feel completely lost in this jungle. My time on Zonama Sekot's helped me learn how to navigate places like these. Hopefully I'll be able to get us through and back into the city to . . . I guess cause more chaos. That's all we can do with this nexu with us.

Amelia sighs. "There's too much interference, must be the canopy. I can't reach Mom or Dad at all."

Makes sense. Also ironic, considering the Yuuzhan Vong's traditional animosity towards technology.

I've been told that ordinary citizens who wind up in Coruscant's remaining jungles feel lost, stranded, and quickly become terrified as they hear, see, touch, and smell things they never had before. The Yuuzhan Vong are from a different galaxy altogether. Everything about them is alien to the rest of us. But I don't feel that way. My false memories as Riina gives me an idea of what to expect, as does my time on Zonama Sekot after the end of the war.

I've spent more time in traditional civilization after the Killiks crisis, so it's not like this is second nature to me. But some familiarity is better than none.

"We need to go," I say. "Anji will be a good deterrent to most predators, but we can't discount there being something strong enough to kill Anji out here. Can't rule out Yuuzhan Vong remnants either."

Amelia's eyes widen. "Perre Needmo hosted a special presentation on that a couple of years ago, Mom and Dad watched it with me. They said there could be thousands of Yuuzhan Vong in the remaining jungles. And most of them think the war is still on, at least the ones that have been captured over the years think so."

Perre Needmo, a Cherin, is a popular newscaster on the Holonet, who spends most of his time, well, reporting the news but he does spend some time hosting documentaries here and there.

"Good, so you know the story," I say. "That's why we need to get out of here. Before any of those remnants decide to murder an infidel girl."

Amelia frowns at me. "You don't need to say it like that."

"It's the truth, Amelia."

I look in the direction of where we came. "You kept track of all the running around we d

15. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    *Hugs Tahiri* Okay, I rather liked her and Amelia together.

Ah, welcome to the jungle! We got fun and games. :D If you don't get the reference, ask and I will explain. ;) And link. Anji, sit! Tahiri is not a chew toy. :p

And... okay. Cliffie. Not sure who/what that person is. Can't wait for more.

16. DarthBellumSolo

Mar 26, 2008
    Update.:) Tahiri and Amelia together - this couple, and even with nexu ... I pity the inhabitants of Coruscant.[face_laugh] I'm wondering when will Tahiri realizes that Amelia daughter of Jacen?[face_thinking]
    I look forward to continuing.

17. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    I'm glad you enjoyed their interactions, it's something I've brainstormed a lot and have really enjoyed executing.

I've heard that song an umpteenth amount of times, I know the reference whether I want to or not. :p

Oh, you know who the person is, don't play dumb. :p

I am not saying when, or if, Tahiri figures out who Amelia is. But Tahiri isn't dumb, and who knows if Allana can keep it a secret for long anyway? But yeah, Tahiri and Amelia does equal chaos, I agree. XD

More in a moment.

18. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Chapter Thirteen

"Sakana, stop! She is not an enemy!" says another new voice. This time it is behind Anji, who mysteriously remains unmoving. A woman who appears in her late twenties or early thirties emerges from behind the verkskyr tree, and even in this darkness I can see the lightsaber attached to her belt.

"Look at the scar on her forehead, Master!" Sakana growls.

Suddenly, I understand why Sakana is threatening me.

"Uh . . . you are aware I'm a human, right?" I ask.

"That's not good enough, not in here," Sakana says, her dark, almond-shaped eyes narrowing.

"Sakana, put your lightbow down," says the adult woman. She walks past the still-idle Anji, and stands right next to Amelia, who looks nervous but doesn't act or try to run. I turn my head just enough to get a good look at the woman's face. Her eyes seem to be sky-blue, and her long, dark hair cascades down the sides of her face and back. She seems almost human, but her ears are pointed, rigid.

Never saw a near-human with ears like this woman.

"But Master-"

"Sakana, now."

I look back towards Sakana, who's lost the steely, determined look in her eye. "Yes, Master."

The lightbow suddenly goes out, and the soft, steady hum is also silenced. Now all we have are the noises of insects and amphibians.

The adult, who seems to be a Jedi Master, sighs with relief. "Thank you, Sakana."

"Who are you?" Amelia asks. As if realizing that Anji hasn't tried to maul either being, she adds "What did you do to Anji?"

"Right after she backed away, I planted the suggestion in her mind that she should rest," the woman says. "I will lift the suggestion, on the condition that you plant your own suggestion that Sakana and I are not enemies."

"Fine. After you tell me who you are," Amelia says.

The adult woman chuckles. "Of course. My name is Emiya Lottoson. I am a Jedi Master. My apprentice is Sakana Ishima. We have business here in the jungle but came across you two."

"Actually, we heard you two freaking out over the verkskyr tree," Sakana says. "You two must've O.D.ed on the deathsticks to lay under one."

"Thanks," I mutter.

Emiya's voice turns serious. "I'm afraid the commotion may bring us unwanted company. Let's find another place to talk."

"I agree," I say. "Wake Anji up."

"I will," Emiya says, and as if on cue, I hear a questioning, groggy growl emit in the distance.

Amelia gapes. "You're good."

"I've had practice. A lot of practice," Emiya says. She motions. "Follow me."

Not like I have much of a choice. I follow, with Amelia riding Anji, and Sakana in the rear.
    After a brisk walk up and down some hills, Emiya brings us to the base of a giant tree and says "We'll stop here. Amelia, please tell Anji to sit at the perimeter. Her senses will detect trouble before it arrives."

"How do you know my name?" Amelia asks, clearly shocked.

"You are the adopted child of two of the most famous people in the galaxy," Emiya says. "I'm surprised that you're surprised. I would think people would recognize you more often."

"You would be, uh, surprised at how many people don't," Amelia says, with a soft chuckle. She jumps off of Anji and whispers her command, and the beast promptly marches out to the edge of the base and keeps watch. She's not kidding when she said she's good with animals. Anji is about as tame as a nexu can get.

"And you," Emiya says, "Are of course Tahiri Veila."

So she recognizes me too. "Yeah, that's me."

Sakana is shocked. "This is Tahiri Veila, the jerk who was all over the Holonet last year?"

Yet another galactic citizen I'm going to get along fine with. "Thanks, Sakana. I hadn't known that."

Emiya stops the argument before it starts. "Sakana, this is not the time for this. These two are strange partners, and I'm sure there's a good reason for it."

"Yeah," I say. "Sith were trying to kill Amelia, and I intervened. Then we ran from Imperials who are trying to kill me. We eventually wound up in here."

Emiy

19. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    great updates!!
    rescuing Allana is really a hand ful :p

20. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    You're worth it, Tahiri. [:D]

Great post, there. And no, I didn't know it was them. :p

21. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    What do you expect from Han and Leia's granddaughter? :p Anyway, thank you!

Heh, I kinda assumed you did considering you wrote them in the past. :p

Anyway, thanks.

Post coming later today.

22. rebel_cheese

Jul 6, 2006
    Ha ha ha, this post took longer than intended, sorry.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Fourteen

We follow along the trail the two Vong and their little slave party had taken, and encounter two more patrols. Not wanting to take any chances, Emiya decides to ambush them both. Sakana and Anji's direct help makes this easier, though not as many of the slaves are as left alive as I would like. A big part of the problem is Anji, who, as a nexu, really enjoys mauling people.

Emiya starts letting them live. But Sakana doesn't feel that way. I ask her why, and she simply tells me "What? At best, they're going to turn out like you. I think this is mercy killing."

Ouch.

Regardless, I don't talk with Sakana much. It's clear she does not like me or trust me.

And so she kills while I stay my hand.

I can't help but feel with every life she takes that's me.

What would have happened if Anakin had decided that I was a lost cause? Could he really have killed me?

No. I remember. He told me, flat out, "I love you".

That's what he said to me. That's what helped me break the spell the shapers had on me. "I love you".

Something so simple yet so meaningful.

I was going to kill him, right after killing the shaper who was going to take me away, who helped make me. I had taken Anakin's lightsaber, had it directly in front of him. "My friend. My best friend. You left me," I had said.

And he did not flinch.

"I've been trying to find you. The whole time."

"You aren't real. None of this is. You are a lie."

"It's not a lie, Tahiri. You are my best friend. I love you."

I . . . I can't explain the turmoil I felt, wanting to believe him so badly and yet I could not help but feel this was an illusion just like the shapers had told me. It was too convenient, too emotional, too infidel to be real. I nearly killed him right then and there, and the lightsaber actually flicked off some of his hair, it had gotten so close. And he still did not flinch. He continued to look at me directly in the eye.

"I love you."

Only then did I break free.

And even then, I still couldn't be sure what was real and what was a lie. That entire escape from the Yuuzhan Vong . . . I didn't know for sure which was the truth and which was the lie. But Anakin's love was . . . it was enough. It made me believe that Anakin was the truth and the Yuuzhan Vong was the lie.

And when he was ripped away from me I . . .

I . . .

I think it's amazing that I am still standing here to question Sakana's actions.

Point is, any of these people could be me. Don't their loved ones deserve the right to try to save them too?

Just like Anakin had managed to save me?

It's enough to bring tears to my eyes. The second ambush actually involved some children, one of whom had the misfortune of staring Sakana down. I could not save him.

He wasn't much older than Anakin was back then.

I walk away, wanting to stay away from Sakana before I want to break her Jensarrai neck. But it's not just anger, but the continued reminder of how these people were not getting the right to have their loved ones try to save them!

Where is the "mercy" in all of this?

It's actually a relief when we make it to the Yuuzhan Vong camp, and I can plainly see the living prison where they're holding the Wraith prisoner.

It is then that Emiya finally tells me the prisoner's name.

"Baljos Arnjak," she says. "He's the Wraith expert on the Yuuzhan Vong. Likes conducting solo missions. I guess this time he made a mistake."

"I'm sure he did," I say.

"What do we do?" Sakana asks. "Just rush in there?"

I'm in no mood to have Sakana slice any more mes apart. There's got to be a way I can do this without any more innocents being killed because Sakana doesn't have an ounce of sympathy in her frame.

But then I realize that my similarities to the victims here isn't just in spirit. It might save lives. Including

23. Draconarius

Feb 27, 2005
    Eek! I am falling behind!

Great last couple of chapters. Allana seems to be as much trouble as all three of the last generation of Solo kids put together, and that's before you add the extra side of Nexu. [face_mischief]

Sakana seems like a very angry little Padawan. I'm guessing that Emiya sees something else in her that makes ignoring that worthwhile, and after three thousand years I suppose she'd be one of the best judges of character possible. At least, I hope so... else things could get unfriendly.

24. Maggy

Oct 2, 2004
    poor Anji :( [face_worried] [face_worried] :(

great update
    looking forward to the next to see what is happening with the pet nexu!!

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

Jul 2, 2003
    ugh, poor Anji. Poor all of them! great insight into Tahiri, there. Nice infiltration by her as well.