main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I think I wanna get back into the expanded universe...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by _Darth_Vega_, Oct 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Darth_Vega_

_Darth_Vega_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    I havent read a expanded universe book since 1996. Up till then however, I had read about all of them. I realize I'm sure to be quite behind the times now, but can anyone really point me where to begin so I can start to catch up?

2. Duke-Dogwalker

Duke-Dogwalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    well, all the latest books are part of the 'new jedi order' series. I can't really remember what had or hadn't been published by '96, but the NJO begins with Vector Prime. Try starting there - you shouldn't find yourself lost.

3. _Darth_Vega_

Oct 2, 2002
    ok thanks ;)

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Actually, you might want to first start with the Hand of Thrawn books by Tim Zahn- Spectre of the Past and Vision of the Future. It brings a sort of "end cap" to the bantam era of books, and sets up things for the NJO a little better.

Normally, TF.N Books has a listing of the books by release date available (under Novel Reviews), but only the chronological and alphabetical options are valid links at the moment.

Anyways, of the major books released since then, I'd read the X-Wing novels if you haven't already, as well as "I, Jedi". I forget when the Corellian Trilogy and Black Fleet Crisis trilogy were released (although the latter is hampered by a poor subplot involving Luke, it features an excellent main plot and the former introduces something that is later revisted in NJO books).

There was also a good trilogy by AC Crispin that centered around Han Solo's younger days.

The Essential Chronology book does a good job of summarizing everything up to the New Jedi Order series also, so thats useful for picking up anything else you might have missed.

The comic "Union" takes place between Hand of Thrawn and NJO.

After that, your more or less up to the NJO.

For prequel stuff, definately check out Cloak of Deception and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter- they make an excellent prelude to TPM.

The various comic story arcs from the ongoings eries also covers the post-TPM era nicely (Outlander, Twilight, Darkness and Rite of Passage are all excellent).

5. _Darth_Vega_

Oct 2, 2002
    I read the first 4 or 5 Xwing books I'm pretty sure, and I'm also pretty sure I,Jedi was released right after I stopped following everything cause the name is familiar but I am 100% sure I never read it.

6. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    The FAQ has a list of the novels in order of publication date. You can get a good idea of what youv'e missed there. There are also questions in the FAQ related to suggestions on the order of reading the books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.