main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I think i'm starting to like the EU more than the movies

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Dark_Jedi_Skywalker, Oct 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark_Jedi_Skywalker

Dark_Jedi_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2001
    Recently i rewatched the original trilogy, and it made me realize that i like what the characters have become in the books when compared with what they were in the movies(save han though). That started my mind on thinking if i liked the EU more than the movies, and i think i do. They offer more of an insight into the characters, and they have had some better stories than the original trilogy, except for some real bad flops. Now, i'm not saying that i now hate the trilogy, far from it. I wouldn't give up my videos for the life of me. I just like the direction that the EU has taken the characters, and don't even get me started on TPM. I love the fact that it happened, but it could have been better. Just to prove my point, I am more excited about the release of SbS than the release of TPM on DVD, and i can easily say i will own SbS before i own TPM. Does anyone else feel this way, or am i just weird.

2. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    Right on! I never really liked sw at all til I read the han solo trilogy. The movies are pretty lame imo. well, except the immortal lines.

3. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Wow.

Personally, nothing will be better in my eyes than the SW films, in terms of storytelling and action. The EU just enhances what I see, and keeps me interested when I'm not watching my videos, or when I'm waiting the 3 years between prequels.

4. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Nice to see I'm not alone in thinking that the EU is superior to the films.

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Join the club. I recognize the necessity of the films, but I appreciate them a lot more because of the EU, and I really enjoy the books more than the films nwo.

6. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I agree. I love the films, and I always will, but I think I like the books even better. At the very least, I think they're equal to the movies.

7. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    I do like EU more then the movies. Perhaps this is because I spend more time reading SWs books, comics or magazines as opposed to watching the movies. Star Wars movies would rock if they had characters like Mara and Thrawn :)

8. Master_Halcyon

Master_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    i like the eu better but that could be because something is worth going to the extra effort to read. i liked the novelizations better than the movies because it explained their thoughts

9. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I consider both of them as equals, even if they're very different in nature. My fandom wouldn't what it is now without the EU. (And I really like the grimmer aspect of Star Wars in the NJO. - Same for TotMC, BTW)

10. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I consider both of them as equals, even if they're very different in nature. My fandom wouldn't what it is now without the EU.

Big time agree. I wouldn't say different sd slightly divergant. The books go in a different directions, which is only natural.

11. IronParrot

IronParrot Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 2, 1999
    I think you already know my opinion...

12. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Wow, am i the only person here who thinks there is no EU that compares to the original trilogy? I mean, there have been some really good Star Wars books, but there haven't been any incredible ones.

13. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    For me, it depends on which book or movie. My order would be something like this:

1. 1977 SW film
    2. Splinter of the Mind's Eye
    3. Daley's three Han Solo books
    4. ESB film
    5. Dark Empire trilogy
    6. ROTJ film
    7. EU novels set after ROTJ but before NJO
    8. TPM film
    9. NJO

14. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I, too, prefer the movies over the EU.

All in all, I don't care what is better. It's all one continuing saga of one universe to me.

15. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Rock on guys! Personally, I like the OT more than any other Star Wars canon - EU or otherwise. But, it's interesting to see fans with a different way of liking the same things.

Maybe you guys should start up a club thread in community centered on this aspect of fandom.

16. Patience_Fairy

Patience_Fairy Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2001
    Well, I have to admit, I didn't even enjoy the movies when I first saw them. Then in one really long car ride when I was incredibly bored, my brother handed me Specter of the Past and told me to read it. Having nothing better to do with my time, I did, and then I was hooked on EU. Later I began to appreciate the movies, but I still prefer Timothy Zahn to the big screen.

17. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    You know what kind of fan I want to meet? Someone who's never seen the movies, but read the books, played the games and the RPG. That would be an interesting scenario.

Think I should test it if I ever have kids? :D

Nahhh. But if I do ever have kids, they'd see the saga in the order it was meant to be viewed. Episodes I-VI.

18. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    thatd be evil Antilles :)

"Daddy, can we watch that DVD you keep watching?"

"NO! Now, get back to your book!"

:)

19. LanceJade

LanceJade Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2001
    Let me first say that I love the movies... but I have always gotten more of a kick reading a book than watching a movie (in general).

But I have to admit that without the movies, the books would be... well... weird. I love TZ's books but they have to go hand in hand with the movies.

20. Galleon

Galleon Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2001
    I agree but it is also kind of an unfair comparison seeing as books are almost always better then the movies.

21. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I think I read every EU book published by Bantam before the SE's came out before I watched the movies.

22. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Saying that one prefers EU to films divides films and EU into two separate categories. I prefer some of the EU to certain portions of the films, and I prefer some of the films to some of the EU. Instead of asking if the EU is superior to the films, we should be comparing individual works to each other, asking, for example, if Vector Prime is better than TPM.

23. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    interesting question, I didn't really like either, but would have to give the edge to tpm, because of the great yodisms.

How feel you?

24. MaceWinducannotdie

MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 31, 2001
    Dark_Jedi_Skywalker: On some boards I'd be hunted down for saying it, but you've taken your first step into a larger world. :)

25. Skywalker_Kenobi

Skywalker_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2001
    Movies are much better, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.