main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I thought I could train him just as well as Yoda"

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Rossa83, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    That's a fair point about he age difference between Dooku and Anakin, but the key thing is they were both turned by the same man. How strong was Dooku's roots in the Force if he was turned into what we saw in the films after so many years of service? I find it hard to believe his roots were very strong.

2. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Exactly. Dooku's roots should just have grown stronger with age, but they didn't. Sinister said in another post that the Jedi didn't trust Dooku with sith-teachings, such as lightning, because they feared he might use them in a wrong way. How is that trust? It also contradicts with what we see in the movies though. The Jedi in AOTC didn't believe that Dooku would turn - they thought, exactly as you say, that his roots as a Jedi would prevent him from killing anyone in cold blood!

3. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    True, they weren't when he fell. However, by this time he was already politically disillusioned with the Jedi, so he was specifically susceptable to Palpatine's lies as Anakin was.

As Rossa said, the Jedi's view of Dooku in the beginning of Episode 2 is certainly not the view they'd have of a Jedi who always had darker tendencies.

4. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    If Dooku had been very strong in his Jedi beliefs then he shouldn't have become politically disillusioned. If the Jedi indoctrinate, as some here claim, then that should not have been possible. Dooku was a prominent and respected Jedi who turned away from the order. But we must assume that there was no hate between them since Yoda and Dooku kept in touch - and if Dooku had darker tendencies by then, wouldn't Yoda have sensed it or was he too blind?

Anakin was never rooted so deep in the Jedi ways so that's different. He was always fighting his own emotions against the code. Paradoxically it was the neglection of the code from Mace that made Anakin turn...

5. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    But see, I don't believe the Jedi indoctrinate to the extent some people do. I think it's fairly clear that they allow for some dissent within the Order as long as it's not rooted in the Dark Side. I'm also not sure that Yoda and Dooku did stay in touch, because outside of the temple I don't know Yoda had too much of a social life.

I'm also not quite sure Mace did break the Jedi code in attacking Sidious.

6. Rossa83

Sep 8, 2005
    I agree with you, partially. I don't either think they indoctrinates them so much. If you look at any society, we are all rather alike - with differences such as those you find amongst the Jedi.

Dooku does reveal that Yoda and Dooku kept in touch:
    "Yoda speaks so highly of you" to Kenobi.
    I think Sinister also said as much...

Mace broke the code according to what Anakin saw, and that was what tipped him over. Anakin saw a defenseless man lying on the floor. Mace saw the scham that Palpatine was playing on Palpatine - he knew he had to kill him. But since Anakin didn't see that, Mace broke the code to him...

7. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Ah, that's true. Do we know when Dooku left the Order?

Ah, Anakin definitely thought Mace broke the Code, I'm just not sure he really did(in that as we see Palpatine wasn't really defenseless.)

8. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    It was implied in AOTC that Dooku left after Qui-Gon was killed. That moment was the final straw for Dooku when he realized that the Jedi have become too ignorant from realizing that there's too much corruption in the Republic that they will continue to serve it so blindly.

Ah, Anakin definitely thought Mace broke the Code, I'm just not sure he really did(in that as we see Palpatine wasn't really defenseless.)[/quote]

Me neither. Palpatine wanted Anakn to think that Mace is breaking the code by pulling the "I'm too weak" act. Plus, after being duped by Palps into thinking that he has the power to keep Padme alive after children, Anakin was only making excuses to convince Mace not to kill PalpSidious because deep down, Anakin knows that Mace is right about Palps being "too dangerous to be left alive" but he didn't care.

All Anakin cared about was saving Padme and he feels that PalpSidious has the key to her survival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.