main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I took it upon myself "

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBaine23, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBaine23

DarthBaine23 Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    Obi Wan did Not take it opun himself to train Anakin! He tells Luke this and there is no mention of Qui Gon! i mean, not that qui gon plays an important role in the classic trilogys but its kinda like well Qui Gon DID discover the chosen one on tattoine didnt he? no one else did! just something i thought of that didnt make ne sense

2. Techno-Union-Elite

Techno-Union-Elite Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2005
    Maybe he meant he took it upon himself after Qui-Gonn died. Afterall, Obi-Wan had a lot of respect for Qui-Gonn and probably felt that he should finish what he started.

3. JBRO_13

JBRO_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    Plus, Yoda still did not agree with Obi-Wan training Anakin and Obi-Wan told him "without the council's approval, if I must".

The Council did not like the idea, but, because Obi-Wan gave Qui-Gon his word, and because Obi-Wan was so valuable to the Jedi, they didn't want to throw him out of the Order for keeping a promise.

4. Zanretsu

Zanretsu Jedi Youngling

May 12, 2005
    In his 19 years of solitude, Kenobi took two forms of new training; learning to become one with the Force and telling things only from a certain point of view.

He has done well.

5. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    The Council didn't want him to train Anakin, yet Obi Wan took on the burden for Qui Gon's sake despite their feelings otherwise. That IS taking it upon yourself to do something.

6. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Exactly Chaotic...

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, just because you expected it to be different, doesn't mean it's wrong.

8. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Did you forget two of the ending scenes of TPM? Here they are in case you missed them:

INT. THEED PALACE-CHAMBERS

YODA
    ...the Council does. But, agree with your taking this boy as your Padawan Learner, I do not!

OBI-WAN
    Qui-Gon believed in him.

YODA
    The Chosen One the boy may be, nevertheless, grave danger I foresee in his training!

OBI-WAN
    Master Yoda, I gave Qui-Gon my eword. I will train Anakin. Without the approval of the Council, if I must.

YODA
    Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you. Need that, you do not. Agree with you, the Council does. Your apprentice, Skywalker will be.

EXT. THEED-CREMATING GROUNDS

A domed chapel lies nearby.

INT. THEED-CREMATING GROUNDS-CHAPEL

A small crowd have gathered as flames consume the body of QUI-GON JINN. ARTOO beeps, and JAR JAR bows his head. OBI-WAN turns to ANAKIN.

ANAKIN
    What will happen to me now?

OBI-WAN
    The Council has given me permission to train you. You will be a Jedi, I promise.

9. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    well he could have told the whole story then we would not have needed to see the pt at all!

obi wan just tells luke the important details. he does not need to explain every little detail.

the scene would have lost it's improtance and meanin if he spent a half hour explaing anakins orgins and qui gon, midiclorians, pod racing maul, dooku, mace, yoda blah blah blah.

while I am at it the "master who instruced me" line in esb is fine also because luke is FREEZING TO DEATH in a snow storm. do you think obi is going to spend a lot of time mentioning that while qui gon was his real master and yoda only trained him for a short time but since he's the last master alive you better find him?

10. SixEagle

SixEagle Jedi Master star 1

May 30, 2002
    Not to mention Obi-Wan said he was Yoda's student.

There are slight inconsistencies that developed from 28 years in the making and not having the entire thing written before the first 3 came out. We just have to live with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.