main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I tried to register a sock and I never got the email with the name and password...

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jjanda_Solo, Jul 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Yeah, I registered a username, everything went fine and normal, but now, several hours later, I still haven't gotten the email with the password. I'm just a bit annoyed. Was there some only-one-username-per-email-address rule or something like that added that I didn't know about? Or what? Help!

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, a few minutes ago I figured maybe something had messed up and the name never registered, so I tried again to register the same name, and it said it was taken, so it was in fact registered, but I never got the email. What is up with that?

EDIT2: When that one didn't work, I tried registering another similar name at the same email address, a Yahoo address. That one hasn't come either. After that, I tried registering a third similar name to a hotmail account, and I got that one. So problem partially solved, except I would've rather had the original name I tried to get, and now I'm wondering if there's some problem with Yahoo and the boards? Or maybe it's just me?

ADMIN EDIT: This was resolved a long time ago, so there's no need for it to be open.

2. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    If your yahoo account has some sort of Junk Mail or Bulk Mail folder, check in there to see if the e-mail is sitting there. Otherwise, I don't know what to tell you.

3. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

If the account was actually made, I guess you could PM an administrator and ask them to give you the password.

As for what went wrong, I'm not sure. Sorry.

4. citizen-tom

citizen-tom Jedi Knight star 5

May 20, 2002
    griffz, she cant PM an admin. her sock was named KadueMustDie [face_plain] :p heh that was justa joke and all...and --

5. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    Do mods know our passwords? That seems kinda creepy doesn't it?

6. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    whats worse is thir secret board THX-1138.

they tell ya tht its a place to test things, but in reality, thats where they hide the alien bodies :eek:

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Do mods know our passwords? That seems kinda creepy doesn't it?

Only administrator-level moderators do.

8. citizen-tom

May 20, 2002
    would we get inn trouble if our password was a derogatory statement about an admin...its sorta a friend of a friend type thing..um yea.

9. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    Bu they can't change the password can they? I'm not saying that they would, but can they? Also, why would they need such information?

10. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    If I mod has your password, they could probably log in to your account and change your password in your settings.

I must hide the itch in my fingers if I want to get my hands on some modular powers . . . [face_mischief]

11. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

Yeah, theoretically they could change your password, I guess. Why they would want to is beyond me, though.

It's used mostly for password retreaval.

12. StarFire

StarFire Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2001
    Lost a password? How embarrassing!

;)

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    ooh, the use of the word 'mostly' is scary :D

14. Jedi_Master_Anakin

May 25, 2002
    HALIBUT!! How are you? Well anywho

I understand now. But I don't think that a MOD would change my password because it wouldn't really do any good. Because I can have the JC email a new password. So I think that a MOD changing my password wouldn't do a lot of good.

15. Gay-LenKenobi

Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 20, 2000
    Exactly. There is no reason for any admin to change your password. If they didn't want you to log in, they'd just perm ban that name. Much easier.

Admins also need access to the passwords in case someone is sending or receiving inappropriate PMs and they need to sign on to that name to check only those PMs to verify the complaint.

I think it is also used sometimes if a person has something inappropriate in their signature or profile that an admin needs to edit or remove. But thats about it.

16. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    Yes, I believe the only time an admin or mod will log in as a member is to change offensive things on a banned user's profile or sig, or to check PMs when someone complains about getting malicious messages from someone.

17. Jay 

Jay  Jedi Youngling

Aug 22, 1999
    Oh, and I just registered a sock that Hathor deleted a long time ago by accident and used a yahoo e-mail address, and I got the password right away.

Did you enter the same e-mail address both times to confirm it?

18. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Jjanda, send me a PM with the name of your sock and I'll send you the password.

19. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    It seems that password function (like everything else in this place) just gets glitchy every once and awhile, and it doesn't sedn out the password. We get these same type of e-mails, people who registerd and then never got their password to log in. If its for a sock, just PM a Admin, and they'll set you up.

20. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    Yeah, I'm on a yahoo acount and I always get my password for socks...
    _jOBO

21. Jjanda_Solo

Jjanda_Solo Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2001
    Yeah, well, I've registered just *cough* a few *cough* socks before with the same email address, and they've always come within like two minutes.

This one finally showed up several hours later. I guess it just got delayed, which can happen, but it's weird cause I've never had it happen with JC emails before. Oh well, problem solved.

You may lock this thread now if you wish, colord people. :p

22. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    "Lost her password, Jjanda_Solo has. How embarrassing. How embarrassing."

23. JediWarrior

JediWarrior Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 7, 2000
    //vows to become Admin so he can wreak havoc on people's passwords

Eh, I tried being serene with where I was in life, but I decided I'm too ambitious...starting tomorrow I'm invading the Dakotas :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.