main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"I used to live here you know" ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Luke_SW, Mar 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    now ROTJ is my favorite of all, and I wouldn't change a thing about it....

but there's just one thing that doesn't quite sit right
    When Luke and Han are on their way to the Sarlacc Pit,
    why does Luke say, "there's nothing to see, I used to live here you know" to Han????

I mean, after all they met on Tatooine in the first place,
    Now sure, Luke could've been anyone from anywhere in that spaceport area of the planet that sees so many people from all walks of life, and granted, it's POSSIBLE that after several years of knowing each other and being close friends, that Luke never once mentioned to Han where he came from or grew up, but how likely is that?!

I don't know it just seems kind of weird and pointless for Luke to mention to Han that he once lived on the planet, since I"m sure most of us already assumed that Han already knew that

Not a big deal, I know, but still something that I haven't seen been discussed

any thoughts or opinions?

2. Max Rebo

Max Rebo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 1998
    Luke wasn't saying it to tell Han anything, more kinda just making an observation.

3. Luke_SW

Apr 13, 2003
    I agree that's probably the best explanation,
    but maybe Mark Hammill just didn't deliver his line right or something, 'cause the way it comes off, he really sounds like he's telling this to Han as if it were news

4. IEatPoodoo

IEatPoodoo Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Luke had to set up for Han's, "you're gonna die here, you know," line! It's a little known fact that Luke and Han put on a two man comedy show for the troops... They were just practicing their routine...

Luke: Knock Knock

Han: Who's there?

Luke: Manny Bothans

Han: Manny Bothans who?

Luke: Manny Bothans died to bring you this joke!

5. Luke_SW

Apr 13, 2003
    lol, well I would definitely say that the 2 of them have great chemistry together

6. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    luke is just making light conversation before their long and horrible death. even though he knows that he's going to get away. it doesn't sound like to me, that he is asking han if he knew that luke used to live on tatooine. it was more like a war veteran that says to his grandson after they see something on the war, and the veteran says "i was in that war you know". it also sets up the gret line "you're gonna die here you know"

7. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    "any thoughts or opinions? "

You over analyzing. Breath, calm down, clear your mind. Only than will you be able to listen to the Force.

Luke was being a smart@*%. Plain and simple.

8. Krash

Krash RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 11, 2000
    LOL @ ObiwanJohn...good call!

What IS interesting about that line, is that Luke makes it with complete calm, and when Han counters with "you're gonna die here you know..." line, he doesn't seem all that concerned. It was as if Luke had planned out every contingency and was simply letting the "unifying" and "living" Force let the moment happen.

9. Esperanza_Nueva

Esperanza_Nueva Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 23, 2003
    hmmm.. i never really got the impression from the line that Luke was telling Han something he didnt know. I thought Luke was just reinforcing the fact that there wasnt much to see.. like "this place is a just bunch of sand.. i lived here and it sucked" or something along those lines

10. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Yeah, Luke was being sarcastic. He was letting Solo know that Tatooine is a borning place and no fun. There's not much to see on Tatooine.

11. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Han said "I think my eyes are getting better.Instead of a big dark blur I see a big light blur". And Luke replies "There's nothing to see,I used to live here,y'know".

12. Darth-Serafin

Darth-Serafin Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2004
    Luke's old homestead wasn't far from the dune sea. I think he was referring to the area not the actual planet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.