main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson I wanna be a jedi /imperial/trooper and/or sith thread--- costumes

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by cathiecat, Sep 6, 2005.

1. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    we would get the material at a fabric store, several to pick from in town.. not to mention wal mart as well.

the idea of darth maul is quite nice.. no.. we do not have a zabrak in our midsts as of the moment.

2. TI-525

TI-525 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 30, 2005
    well then when i get taller and older ill make a darth maul costume

3. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    the issues with height should not be taken too literally.. enjoy making any costume.. who cares if you are short for a zabrak or anything.. not to mention you can always add several inches with platform boots and shoes.. don't let your height stop you from making a costume of any type. the only costume I would say to skip at this point is anything involving serious finance.. such as trooper gear.. because you can outgrow it quickly if you get taller.. and it would cost a lot of money to fix that.. but a zabrak.. not that hard to alter a costume of that nature.. or not even that expensive to completely sew new robes as well.

4. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    well my face is round right now you know?
    this happened to almost all of the boys in my family (moms side)
    they had round faces and then they turned into having a slimmer face
    its all about the face with maul

5. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    but not all zabrak's have angular faces.. so you could be a zabrak that is a sith.. and create your own costume... after all..I am shaak ti.. but I am way way bigger than shaak ti.. but I am not letting that stop me. Enjoy what you want to be.. don't let size stop you. :)

6. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Yeha don't let that stop you, Im a bit short for Vader.

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    and DSJ makes an awesome Vader..he has the moves down!! It takes a certain way of walking and moving and DSJ definitely has it. So listen to him.. he speaks the truth.

8. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    well ok ill give it a shot
    probly in the summer though
    and then id have to cut my hair
    if we hade a life size maul statue the costume would be easy to make lol
    id just take the one off of the statue

9. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Depends on the quality level of the outfit you want and the particular jedi you want to be. If you want something at a movie-quality level, I would expect a few hundred dollars would cover it. A non-human jedi, you have to throw in the cost of the mask.

If you just want to look like a jedi, your costume costs will go down.

10. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    different materials are going to run you up there.. when I first made our robes they were done with very cheap material.. but now that we are more involved.. we want higher quality robes.. so we are looking at a much higher cost for the material.. unless we find it on sale.. originally our material was only $1 a yard.. but for something closer to movie quality.. your looking at as much as $10-$20 a yard and higher.. just depending on what you get.. searching for a while you can probably stay at the $10 dollar end and still get a nice piece of cloth.. and as I said.. our robes that we currently use.. were only $1 a yard.. but we really want to improve on them. We are the poor man's Jedi at the moment.

so if your robe is made of ten yards of fabric.. your robe alone can run you over $200 to start with. Then you have your breeches, your tunic, outter tunic, belt, and so on.. it gets up there.

just a basic vader costume... will cost $100's.. more than $500.. and a movie quality vader is in the $1000's. Troopers.. a little bit less.. you can get good quality without busting a grand.

11. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    a very high quality jedi costume can cost you to about 1000 bucks or more if your looking for movie quality

12. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005
    Heck, nothing else going on, and as this seems like the appropriate thread, here is my WISH TO DO SOME DAY IN THE FUTURE list of costumes;
    1. A much better quality Wookiee outfit (Primary concern).
    2. Darth Vader.
    3. Qui-Gon Jinn.
    4. A Stormtrooper, good enough to get into the 501st.(You can never have TOO many Stormtroopers)
    5. A Wampa.("Willy Wampa and the Choklit Factory". I have a dream...)

Maybe a rebel pilot, also, but that thought doesn't keep me awake at night.

REALITY CHECK ON ABOVE LIST: I'd also like to lose about 40 lbs. We'll see what happens first...

13. tucsoncuz

tucsoncuz Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2005
    thanks for the info

14. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    this is the best reference for Maul Ive found, becuase I considered him once to, but like any SW costume, the little details mean alot, and if it doesn't look movie accurate no one buy's it
    http://www.jedi-academy.com/costume_tips.html

15. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Hey Frank where'd you get that piece of Sintra? I need to make another set of Tie armor

16. Boga-the-Magnificent

Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    Dark Sider Steve is hands down the BEST Darth Maul out there. Check out his site.

He is also a Dune Sea Garrison/501st Member.

17. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    An Amazing costume.. and website to boot.. and this guy is in the DSG.. would love to meet him.

18. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    he does make a great maul
    so does the alpine garrison

19. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Hey Jack anytime you wanna be the Vader let me know! The only thing that wouldnt fint you isthe body suit, if you're serious grab one off of ebay and everything else I have. I wouldnt mind being an unloved Tie Pilot at some events.

20. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    i think some of the hardest costumes to are the ones where theres not helmet
    because if it involves make up like maul then it has to look really good
    if its a costume like anakins then you have to look like hayden to be a good anakin
    how many really good anakins have you seen?
    ive only seen one really good
    and that was in the alpine garrison

21. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    at least to have the same hairstyle helps in creating a character for sure.

22. TI-525

Oct 30, 2005
    yes very true

23. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Anyone have a stormtrooper blaster I can borrow for the PHX walk?

24. Boga-the-Magnificent

Boga-the-Magnificent Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2005
    This is the ebay seller I was talking about on New Year's Eve.

He has some ready made items I'd consider buying.

HOWEVER

He is in Singapore and he charges alot for shipping.

25. thatsMISTERwookiee

Nov 12, 2005

Thanks for the offer, Dustin, but I should have clarified, those are ALL long-range goals. I'd probably want the trooper suit before Vader, and I don't expect to be able to start on that one until sometime in 2007. Maybe even 2008 if I "juice up" the Wookiee outfit first. I do have a Don Post Vader helmet from around twenty years ago, and I did buy a Vader lightsaber (MR brand), so at least I'm a couple of steps closer to the finished product.

By stormtrooper blaster, are you refering to the blaster pistol or the blaster rifle? The pistol is a no-go for me but I have got an old Kenner blaster rifle that needs a little work on it. I could bring it to the meeting on Saturday, if you could use it.