I wanna know.......

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by I_kill_sandpeople, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_kill_sandpeople Jedi Youngling

star 1
    How Palpatine wass elected chancellor.

Did he campaign or something?

Did he propose any tax cuts.

Does he favor humans over aliens. If so thats racist.

He fifn't even put up flyers.

How come it only took a day or so to tally up all the votes in the whole galaxy.

Did he have a debate with valloreum, if he did valloreum would be about to speak and then just start talking and palpatine would act like hes doesn't know whats going on.

Or did he use a jedi mind trick on everybofy to get elected.

Is he a democrat or republican?

Thats all.
  2. Qui-GonDude Jedi Youngling

they dont have political parties, he's not racist, and I think they vote within the Senate and not through the whole galaxy.
  3. Cow_Girl Jedi Master

star 5
    How Palpatine wass elected chancellor.

In AOTC, Jar Jar was the senator that introduced the motion that Palpentine be given emergency powers, with this new power, Palpentine creates a "grand clone army" so from what I can tell, once Palpetine has these powers, he does not give them back, appointing himself emperor.
  4. I_kill_sandpeople Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Well then how can you call somethin a democracy if only a couple hundred senators vote and not the people.
  5. Cow_Girl Jedi Master

star 5
    He lied, when he says "I love Democracy" you could see a little smirk, well, I could at least. thats what the senators are there for, they are the ones that will vote on behalf of the planets that they are representing, to get every citizen, on every planet to vote, that would take years and years. At that moment, they needed an answear, hence, the emergency powers. They were only meant to be tempoary.
  6. DarthDrew Jedi Master

star 4
    How Palpatine was elected chancellor.
    In TPM, Queen Amidala asks for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Vallorum that is carried. They then need to elect a new Supreme Chancellor. Palpy was among three who were nominated along with Bail Antilles of Alderaan and Aks Moe of Malastare. He won, but we didn?t see the actual election. It may have been a closed session. He probably used some of the influence he had over the other weak-minded senators among them to force their vote.

Did he campaign or something?
    As I recall, it was a short election ? just a few days / weeks. He probably did campaign or lobby for his election (what politician wouldn?t?). Probably called in favors and finally coerced others using his mastery of the dark side.

Did he propose any tax cuts.
    That?s a possibility, but I doubt it. The bone of contention was taxation of the outer rim. He was the representative of one of the outer-rim planets, so the taxation directly affected his people. As I recall, he wasn?t too concerned about whether or not those taxes were repealed or not.
    His only promise to the Queen was ?? if I am elected, I will restore democracy to the Republic.? Who says politicians don?t keep their promises?

Does he favor humans over aliens. If so thats racist.
    So what? I?m not condoning him being racist or sexist ? both are tragedies, after all. It obviously didn?t affect his getting elected, though. I bet all politicians wish they could have the gift of mind-control over the beings that are supposed to elect them to this post or that.
    ?You will make me Speaker of the House??
    ?Y?know, Rep. Wilkin, I think you?d make a fine Speaker of the House?
    ?Thank you for that unsolicited nomination! You can go out and lobby for me.?
    ?I think I?ll go do some lobbying for you??

He didn't even put up flyers.
    Thank goodness, no. But he didn?t have to. It would be like a US Senator who?s already elected putting up signs for his constituents to put him on the Ways and Means Committee. Committee assignments are made by the Senate itself, not by the constituents.

How come it only took a day or so to tally up all the votes in the whole galaxy.
    Again, it didn?t take polling the whole galaxy. He wasn?t elected to be the equivalent of our President. He was elected by the Galactic Senate to be the equivalent of our Speaker of the House. They only had to take votes from the various Galactic Senate representatives.

Did he have a debate with Valorum, if he did Valorum would be about to speak and then just start talking and Palpatine would act like hes doesn't know whats going on.
    Valorum had just been deposed as Supreme Chancellor by a vote of No Confidence. He couldn?t have become SC again. There were three nominations and none of them was Valorum.

Or did he use a Jedi mind trick on everybody to get elected.
    Probably so.

Is he a democrat or republican?
    I was going to say "Green party," but my wife, MasterWilkin twisted my lightsabre. She insists he's a member of the "Black and Red Party."

Thats all.
    Class dismissed.
  7. atomik Jedi Padawan

star 4
    "Well then how can you call somethin a democracy if only a couple hundred senators vote and not the people."

But the senators are elected by the people, and in turn they do and vote for what is in the best interest of the people (usually) of their respective planet.
  8. KenKenobi Jedi Master

star 6
    The Senate is a quick moving and voting bunch, considering the enormous amount of represenation involved. Such a voting of a new Chancellor, by OUR standards, would take a long time (presenting a platform, making promises, etc.).

The unfortunate thing about all of this is that the Senate is very corrupt, and Palaptine was manipulating them way before the events of Episode I.

If you were to read Cloak of Deception, you will know that Palpatine was playing a number of Senators, counting on Amidala to make a Vote of No Confidance in Valorum and preparing thos Senators to vote for him.

Also, Valorum had recently been accused of a scandal, and so voting for a new Chancellor was not too hard to do. Debating amongst themselves as they may, Palpatine had the odds stacked so that he won.

All in all, it was a rigged election from the underground, and all of those involved were simply pieces in a far larger game...

Hope that helps. :)
  9. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    BTW, Palps/Sidious is racist (specist?) There are no aliens in the Empire (even the bounty hunters are sneered at.)

That being said, Thrawn was bad-a$$. :)
  10. Darth_Tarpals Jedi Padawan

star 4
    The Republic is also just that, a Republic, not a full democracy. Therefore, not everyone is allowed to vote in every election/decision.
  11. Punisher Jedi Master

star 4
    Add this to the mix...

Padme wasn't elected to the Senate. She says in AOTC, that "the Queen asked her to serve".
    Since Palpatine was chancellor,who was the senator from Naboo once he became chancellor and Padme served out her term as Queen?

Seems to me the politics in SW (at least on Naboo) is kinda screwed up, queens are elected, senators are picked by the queen...
    I would think it would be important to vote for your representative in the galactic government as well.
  12. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Palpatine is racist, according to the EU. It is democracy because although the Chancellor is decided by the Senators, the Senators are elected. A similar system is in place in many democracies around the world, including the USA. That's what a Republic is.
  13. MeBeJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Hi Thrawn...Yo da man! :)

BTW, concerning your .sig. I've been to Canada twice and lived to tell about it. Am I lucky, or just damn good?

(Albeit, I only spent a few hours each time. Not enought time to track someone down, obviously)
  14. KenKenobi Jedi Master

star 6
    Punisher: Your observation was discussed in another topic, although I cannot really remember the exact link.

Anyways, between the time Padme was Queen and Palpatine was Chancellor, there was a breif "intermission" in which another Senator took place as Naboo's representation. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.