main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends I want more Yodish--Humor vignette from the youth of Yoda--Vignette 88

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DarthIshtar, Apr 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    This is for Idrelle_Miocovani, who asked me to write a story called "I want more Yodish."
    Difficulties there were in being a Jedi. Discipline it required. Patience it demanded. A hard life it was.

A hard task, learning that at eight years old was.

Arrived Yoda did at that age, when many years others there had been. Wise he was for his age, for of intelligent parents he was born, but many hardships he had faced already.

Nevertheless, many things the Jedi taught him. How to trust the Force and his teachers they taught him. How to lift his datapad with the Force they taught him.

Proper grammar they did not teach him.

A different language he had always spoken as a child, so when come to Coruscant he did, understand the Jedi grammar he did not. Foreign it was to him. As foreign as to them his speech was.

"Little frog, talks like a frog, he does!" Initiate Skumnull called after him.

Fair it was not. A frog he was not!

"His skin's as moldy and weird as his talk!" Padawan Marey agreed.

Tried he did to ignore them, since the way of the Jedi anger was not, but stop them this did not.

"He'll never get a Master if he can't talk right!"

Concerned him that one did. After all, a Master he wanted so a great Jedi he could become. SO, that day, decide he did to talk 'right.'

Difficult it was, but a skilled mimic he was and talk like Master Dudari from the Council he could.

"Initiate Yoda, what is the capitol of Alderaan?"

Standing on his chair to be seen, recited he did what he remembered.

"The most esteemed world of Alderaan is governed from the auspicious city of Antibes."

And with that, sat down again he did.

But impress the geography teacher that did not. Erred he must have because ask if he was feeling all right the instructor did.

So, imitate Initiate Skumnull he did next.

"How are you doing, Initiate Yoda?" asked kindly Master Fifta.

"Man," he squeaked, "like, I am totally all about the Unifying Force, dude."

Apparently, wrong this was because laugh Master Fifta did.

Only two ways of speaking he knew well, so silence he kept until one night came Master Fifta, Initiate Skumnull, the geography instructor and Padawan Marey to his bunk in the dormitory.

"Initiate Yoda, we would like to talk to you."

Perked his ears did to show he was listening, but keep his mouth shut he did.

"We've been talking," said Master Fifta, "and we want to tell you something."

Silence he kept still.

Nudged Padawan Marey she did and look sad Padawan Marey did.

"I want more Yodish," said she.

"We miss you telling us stories and helping us with our homework," added Initiate Skumnull.

"Please?" added the geography instructor.

Smile he did for the first time in weeks.

"Agree I do!"

2. Vongchild

Vongchild Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2004
    [face_laugh]

In 1916 or so, when my great-grandmother took my grandpa to register him for first grade, they told her to bring him back when he spoke english.

Yoda's attempts at "proper" basic were hilarious. Cute vig.

3. Noelie

Noelie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 11, 2005
    What a cute little thing!

"Unifying Force DUDE!"

I really like it!

4. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Ah yes... we all have known Numskulls, I mean Skumnulls in our lives, especially as kids. ;) It must be the dyslexia, because that all actually made sense in only one reading.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Vongchild--LOL, that's so cute. Glad you liked the two types of "proper" basic.

Noelie--Awww, thanks. And "Unifying Force, dude!" should be the rallying cry of...I don't know, something adorable.

Lilith Demodae--LOL, that's a feat. I tried to make it as unreadable as humanly possible. ;)

6. Callina

Callina Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    [face_laugh]

That was good. Yoda's imitating was hilarious. There are words only Jedi Masters (presidents, scholars, seventeenth-century playwrights) should use. And what I wouldn't give to hear Yoda say, "I am, like, totally into the Unifying Force, dude!"

Yoda can get away with practically anything in the movies - mangled syntax, personal critiques, whacking people with his cane - but there had to have been a time when he couldn't. I like that you went to that time - more, had Yoda attempt to conform. I also like that, even in third person, the tone of the story mimicked Yoda. An enjoyable vignette.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Callina--Thanks. :) It made me [face_laugh] to write it, which is probably a good thing. Writing what Yoda would try to imitate was equally fun. I think, if I ever become rich and famous and Frank Oz is still alive, I'd like to ask him (since he'd be a personal friend of mine) to say that... It's just so ridiculous to think about. I'm glad you liked going back to Yoda's vulnerable period. The tone of the narrative was designed to have someone of Yoda's species telling about one of its most famous members.

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    "How are you doing, Initiate Yoda?" asked kindly Master Fifta.

"Man," he squeaked, "like, I am totally all about the Unifying Force, dude."

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Just imagining Yoda talking like that

[face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Very funny story!

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    You guys don't know how much I needed to see those [face_laugh] s tonight. Thanks!

11. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    I'm some what afraid of trying to write Yoda! I'm so glad you could do this in such a cute way. He often reminds me of my brother when he came home from his mission, he would answer the phone; "Cordell, this is!" It always made us laugh or at least smile. :)

12. Just-Plain-Shmi

Just-Plain-Shmi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2006
    =D=

That was very funny! I don't think I'd have the courage to attempt to write Yoda. :p

JPS :)

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yoda under any circumstances is hard to write. Yoda at age 8, insecure and funny is nearly mind-boggling. LOL, my family still laughs at my English and I've been home from my mission for a while now. Thanks!

:) And it's my first attempt writing the narrative in his dialect as well.

14. JediKlea

JediKlea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    LOL so cute!!! I LOVE Yodish!!!

Maybe we can start massproducing yodish dictionaries...I bet they would be worth fortunes.

15. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    hehhee. I LOVE it. Awesome. Seems lil' Yoda has been hangin' around me too long. He's picked up the word. "dude". hehehe. Thank ya' for sharing that vinette.

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    JediKlea--Great idea. I think they would be fun. Yoda is my favorite.

Jauhzmynn--Thanks, Jauhzmynn. Really, you're Yoda's influence? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.