main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series I want some "evil" alien(s) as a good guy in rebels.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Dec 27, 2013.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think at least one of the main characters in Rebels should not be human, and instead be an alien. And not just an alien, but a member of a species that is more likely portrayed in star wars as bad guys (trandoshan's, clawdites, etc) and instead of acting "evil" like said species if often shown in the franchise, said character could have a strong moral character.

What do my fellow star wars fans think?

We already got something like this before when we got a rodian as a main character for a few episodes in the young jedi arc.

Personally i think a trandoshan would be a good pick (even better if its female, that sure has never been done before on screen), and would sure make it interesting if said trandoshan had to work together with a wookiee (i do think it would be nice to see some positive interaction between the two species for a change).

2. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    A female Trandoshan would inevitably be done wrong. They would give her boobs, something that a reptile should not have.

But other than that I totally agree with you.

How about a good guy Hutt?

3. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I've actually been hoping we'd see a good guy Trandoshan (if TCW hadn't been cancelled, a Trando Jedi as a prominent character in a story would have been nice; it could have been especially interesting to see him/her work together with Ahsoka on a mission taking place some time after the events of the Trandoshan arc at the end of Season 3).

4. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    A hutt is a good idea.

It has been done before (in ToTJ), but they sure are rare (for good reasons).

I know reptiles don't have boobs, of course that doesn't stop certain companies giving reptiles them (think Argonians). Then again if reptiles were not humanized at all in fiction, they would also not walk upright like people and could not speak English, etc.

I actually don't know if female trandos have breasts or not, they probably don't, but im not 100% sure on that.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Reptiles wouldn't have boobs because they don't feed their infants that way. Therefore any animator giving reptiles boobs needs a biology lesson.

I agree with your OP. We need some good-guy (or good-girl) aliens rather than a species being portrayed as all good guys or all bad guys.

For that matter, I wouldn't mind seeing an evil member of a species that has formerly been portrayed as "all good".

Obimus Primobi likes this.
  6. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Which is why Tenebrous was awesome.

7. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    As for Breasts on non-mammals here is what Wookieepedia says....

"
    A number of females belonging to non-mammalian species were known to have had breasts, most notably the reptilian Falleen. It was possible that these reflected a mammalian connection in the Falleen's genetic ancestry,[source?] but other sources indicated that the size and pigmentation of the spinal ridge were the main distinguishing feature of gender dimorphism in this species.[26] It was possible that large-chested Falleen females like Savan had cosmetic surgery, or that this was an evolutionary trait reflecting the Falleen's nature as highly-evolved sexual predators.
    Similarly, the physique that T'ra Saa, who was a Neti—a sentient species of plants—assumed in her pseudo-Human form may have been consciously chosen, as she was a shape-shifter.[27]
    Rodian females also possessed breasts with functional mammary glands. Off-world females, however, would wear loose clothing in an attempt to disguise their gender. Some females did flaunt their physique if they knew it would work to their advantage."

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Breast: So we might have breasts on reptiles, but than again maybe not. I don't think they did that with both Clone Wars series. Now if this was in comic book form I would say yes right away, but it's a kids' tv show.

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Breasts on any non-mammalian would be stupid. I can't remember if Meena Tills had breasts or not in TCW, but female Mon Calamari have apparently been shown as such in other media, which is absurd.

[​IMG]

For it to read as recognizably female, all they really have to do is do what cartoons have been doing forever, play around with the proportions (sleeker body and bigger eyes) and then give it a female voice. Instead everything gets boobs and wide hips (not particularly necessary if you lay eggs).

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    We could always see some former Separatist species pal around with any Rebel groups. It would provide an interesting dynamic to see the instigators of the last war join with these new revolutionaries in their fight to bring down the oppression of the Empire. We never saw any Koorivar in TCW, and we barely saw Gossams, so they might be cool to see in Rebels.

I also wonder what Grievous's people, the Kaleesh, are up to. How would they have reacted to the legacy of Grievous?
    The Box had that Selkath mercenary. He wasn't evil necessarily, but his species used to be known as good and noble as, say, the Mon Cal.

I still love the fact that the Wook has that Breast article. But yeah, SW hasn't been great in the logical biology department, resulting in lizard boobs, fish boobs, and even tree boobs. I'm calling it now- we'll see a Karkarodon with a bust and it'll make zero sense. :p

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If I were in a different mood I could go on a nice feminist tear on what the damn things are really for and the primary purpose is actually not for men's aesthetic and tactile pleasure and the cartoonists need to figure that out and stop putting ***s on ***damn fish.

But in an effort to keep anyone from needing to steal my line and say "Oh hell," I'll stop there and just add that someone probably will put boobs on a karkadoon. Shark Boy has a girlfriend, right?

...and her name is Lorraine.

11. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    When it comes to the broader topic of aliens that are generally shown as evil being portrayed as good, I would be happy to see a good Hutt or Neimoidian, etc. I remember hating the short, fat, farting Trandoshan (and I still do hate the fart jokes in Star Wars), but the concept of not all aliens conforming to a single culture, physique, moral compass, etc. has grown on me, and I would very much like to see a Hutt that is not a crime boss in a future Star Wars film or TV show. Geonosians were an alien design that I particularly liked, and I would have liked to see others of different alignments, though the ant-like colony structure of their society might make more sense for them to all conform to the Queen's desires. But they could have established other colonies on Geonosis itself run by rival queens, or other colonies on other planets in the system.

12. Obimus Primobi

Obimus Primobi Jedi Master star 2

Oct 23, 2013
    This is the franchise that gave us Yarna d'al' Gargan, so I'm not holding out much hope for subtle male/female character design.

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Okay, how did this thread go from evil aliens to breasts? man, you people are weird :p

14. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Darth Talon and Darth Ruyn were Twi'lek's. Usually a fairly good guy species. (Though there was always Bib Fortuna who was a seedy shady kinda character.)

TOR brought us Kalatosh Zavros. He's a Togruta. A species normally portrayed as homely wholesome small town good guy types. Except for when they just happen to be *drumroll* a Sith Lord. Which is what Zavros was.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    You know what I posted a reply about the evil / good aliens and somehow while with the thing sitting in an open compositional window I missed about half a dozen posts concerning female mammalian bits on species that shouldn't have them, and almost a furious rant from one poster.

Which goes back to my own post up the thread. What have I started... :eek:

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    You should be ashamed of urself :p

17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

I'm not holding my breath for anything believable, just saying it would be nice. 90% of the aliens in a lot of sci-fi franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars tend to be humanoid, which I would HIGHLY, HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt is the case if intelligent life exists anywhere else in the galaxy. The Hanar of Mass Effect were "big, stupid jellyfish" but really I could buy that more as a quasi-believable alien design vs. the reoccurring belief that Earth is visited by aliens that vaguely look like Kaminoans with a lot of the same characteristics as humans, only with lanky builds.

The Cardassians in Star Trek were "reptilian" but they had boobs and hair, I'm not quite sure if the Rodians of Star Wars are supposed to be insects or reptiles, but the females have boobs and hair, etc.

Given the trend that's been set, no I don't think that the designers are all of a sudden going to consider that the odds of alien life looking remotely human is incredibly small, or the fact that reptilian, mammalian, and fish-like aliens all with boobs would imply that the common ancestor to all three groups breast fed, when in real life breast feeding is a synapomorphy of mammals and only mammals, and not even just mammals, but eutherians.

/nerd rant

Plus I'm not sure that terms like "reptile" or "mammal" really apply if species arose independently on various planets without a common ancestor. Without a common ancestor, something like a Wookiee and Human cannot both be said to be mammals. If we found life on another planet with hair-like covering and evolved something very similar to lactation, it still would never be a mammal, it would merely be convergent evolution.

I didn't know that the Bith, first seen playing music in a hive of scum and villainy, would default to being considered "good."

18. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Personally i wouldn't hate it if trando females were given breasts on screen. And it sure is not because im male, but simply because it does make some "fictional sense" in why it would happen. In fiction aliens are sometimes very humanized animals. It is already very unrealistic for reptiles in star wars to be as intelligent as people, to be bipedal, to have a language like we do, etc. All of that mentioned is highly unrealistic for reptiles to have, but then again i don't hate that its a reality for trando's because its science fiction, it is not supposed to have realism in everything.

Then again, i also would not mind if the writers did not give breasts to a trando if they ever showed a female one on screen. Would be good change to see something that is female that doesn't have breasts. Of course the writers would then have to work a little harder in showing that said trando is female instead of following the typical female human features that make it obvious to the audience that a character is female.

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I won't carry this conversation too far, just because it's deviating from topic and because it's a downer on a universe that requires a heavy dose of belief suspension, but there's nothing that inherently makes mammals smarter than reptiles. Birds are essentially dinosaurs and some of them are very smart. Squid and Octopi are more primitive than reptiles and I've heard that their intelligence is comparative to a cat's.

Most animals we consider to be intelligent are warm blooded, though I'm not sure if there is a correlation there or if it's merely coincidental.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU has a bit more diversity- there's a rebel trandoshan in the Crimson Empire comic, for example.

And an armoured Hutt warrior in the Scourge novel (based on a tabletop adventure module).

Maybe the Rebels series will do the same sort of thing.

Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The EU also had the ever-lovable Slyssk, failing in all things Trandoshan:

[​IMG]

(although I suspect the primary goal of that comic was to undermine every Star Wars stereotype, with pyrophilic-Ithorians and whatnot...)

On the subject of TCW-species, I'd love to see a Neimoidian working with the heroes. I can even see Mar Tuuk going that route. Sort of like Hondo did, maybe -- not really a true hero, but he'd work with the heroes if it meant taking down the Republic-turned-Empire.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Essential Guide to Warfare, page 148
    The various groups fighting the early Empire had little in common except their opposition to the New Order. Some considered themselves Republic Loyalists and sought to restore what had been, others were determined to resist any outside rule, and a few were simply opportunists looking to profit from disorder.

And then, there were the former Separatists.

Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, and Garm Bel Iblis differed sharply about what role, if any, former Separatists should play in the Rebellion. Bel Iblis argued that Separatists who hadn't committed war crimes should be accepted, noting that the Alliance had found a place for groups that sought their own regions' independence, a goal that would have been called Separatism just a few years before. Organa disagreed, contending that all Alliance members must accept that the Rebels' first and foremost goal was the Republic's restoration. Mothma acknowledged Bel Iblis's point - after all, she'd joined Padme Amidala's calls for peace talks with the Separatist leadership - but worried that accepting Separatists would play into the hands of Imperial propagandists, drying up sympathy and support for the Alliance.

A few Separatist holdouts did eventually join the Alliance after publically disavowing their pasts: The CIS general Horn Ambigene became the leader of the Bryx Freedom Fighters, bringing his followers under the Alliance banner as the Bryx Sector Forces. (This did Bryx sector little good: It was brutally subjugated by the Empire.) Blox Hatha, a Neimoidian captain in the Trade Defense Force, was refused formal membership in the Alliance, but became a renowned privateer bearing a Rebel letter of marque.

Elsewhere, Rebel cells and Separatist true believers settled on a tacit policy of quiet mutual support or at least noninterference. But sometimes active hostilities broke out: Atravis sector was scarred by years of clashes among the Empire, pro-Republic resistance groups, and Separatist holdouts.

I could see privateers like Blox Hatha making good allies for the Rebels series.

23. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    They were always musicians in prior EU. It was awesome to see one as a Sith Lord.

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    [​IMG]

25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Well Jar Jar is a evil alien so maybe him? [face_rofl]

TK-421 Is vader likes this.