main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I Want Special Edition Marvel Reprints.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by 000, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    With new art. Marvel references are piling on faster and faster recently, so there'd be demand for them, at least. I actually have copies of all of 'em, but I can't get into them because of the hugely campy eighties art. The dialog for alot of them actually looks decent, but the art kills me.

It won't happen, but who else is interested?

2. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    With new art and a few necessary retcons, then sure, that'd be great

3. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    I have no experience with the marvel age so do you think you could be more specific about what details need changing? For instance, what characters, vehicles, etc. look campy in particular? Just wondering

4. SWBob

SWBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 19, 2003
    Does anyone know where a poor man like me can look at the marvel comics. Every store i go in doesnt have any in stock. I was wondering if there is an online version of them that i can get for free.

5. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    For free? Nope, not anymore. There used to be a site that had scans of a bunch of them, but it's long since gone.

And come on, think about where else this idea could lead. Dark Empire with new art? Tales of the Jedi with new art? Just because you don't happen to like the style doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it. It would be a huge waste of time, talent, and money.

TC

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    SWBob - the Marvel stories were reprinted in the Star Wars: A Long Time Ago books that came out fairly recently. There are 7 volumes and they should be fairly easy to find at comic/book stores to look through (or buy).

7. phantasm66

phantasm66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2000
    me

i hear what you're saying about the campy 80's art (the dot half-arsed coloring method).. transformers was the same way and it killed the comics series for me as it did for starwars. if they could redraw them with the same story lines, that'd be perfect. [face_praying]

it doesn't have to be darkhorse good, just better than that. my eyes glaze over when i flip through them at the comic book store.

8. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    I'd rather DH spend their time and money on new stuff instead of just reprints.

9. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    In this case, reprints of reprints...

TC

10. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Special edition? *twitches*

11. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Retelling of some stories from different points of view could be interesting.

Even outright retelling of the stories could be cool - similar to the Marvel Adventures line of comics from Marvel that essentially retell classic stories updated with more recent continuity and new artwork.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I hear storylines are weird and wacky. And with my vicious revulsion for the load of movie trilogy period products catapaulted at us . . .

Buy more Rogue Squadron reprints, and show the horse lords why a continuation is a bankable idea. ;)

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Wierd and wacky is about right. I bought the A Long, Long Time Ago... compilations a few months ago, they're not exactly what I would call typical Star Wars, they're much more comic book superhero than realist science-fiction really.

I suppose they might be worth reading for the Lumiya editions, that's the whole reason I bought them, but to be honest I think you're just as good reading up on her on Wookieepedia. She's only in a few issues, maybe a dozen at most, and her character has been retconned a lot since then so what you see in the Marvel comics is pretty... zany.

Then there's a load of totally random stories that don't really mean anything and superweapons that you never knew existed. Plus Luke looks more like He-Man crossed with a wrestler or a body builder.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I liked the Fenn Shysa/Mandalorian stories - I think that was volume 5 or 6? It had a Mandalorian cover.

15. Xanakh

Xanakh Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    I don't understand the problem people have with the art in Marvel Star Wars, but that's probably because I'm half comics fan/half SW fan, not simply a SW fan reading the comics because they're SW.

I guess the main problem people have is with the colouring. It's probably the aspect of comics art which has been most drastically changed by technology in the 20 years since Marvel Star Wars was cancelled. It would be interesting to see an issue re-coloured from the original art with modern techniques, but unfortunately it would be almost impossible to get together a complete issue in original art pages.

Oh, and Zorrixor, if you're who I think you are-- long live Astatine! (Just kidding :p)

16. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Some of Lumie's dialogue I've is impressive for a comic script.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.