main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends I Want to be Your Knight (Ben, Jysella, Seha - post-LotF) - Chapter 38 - 07/08/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Kidan, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Amazing and stunning... I can so relate to Ben's wanting to run away and hide not because of wanting to deny things ... they're already in the open now, but because he wants to wall himself away from everyone... particularly Seha and Jys who are broadcasting loud and clear they think he's a pariah... at least Seha's honest enough right now to say she's not sure what she wants ... Ben feeling like he doesn't deserve happiness... I think he does, I just can't fathom him finding it with anyone personally connected with his past.

[face_thinking]

Definitely worth the wait... keep me on the PM train please.

:D

Hugs!!!

2. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    Killik_Twilight
    Now hopefully comes reconciliation, but that's never easy or short. At least, not true reconciliation.
    we'll have to see, and nope, it's never easy or short...though that's good for us, as it lends us more angst ;)

Draconarius
    :( A sad but true realisation, that. I don't blame Ben for thinking he shouldn't have come back; as far as Jys and Seha are concerned, they would have been a lot better off.
    maybe they would have, on the other hand, the anger/grief Jys was still carrying around with her was not good for her, and she is kind of being forced to work through it...

Well worth the wait, Kidan. More coming soon? [face_batting]
    thanks! And yes, the next bit is getting its polish and will be up on Friday.

Vialco
    Oh an update, great. I read this fic about a year ago, so my memory is still a little foggy, but I do remember several important scenes. First of all, I would like to say that this chapter was quite good, and I am not at all surprised that Ben said that he would have turned Jysella in if he had sensed her, after all, at that time he was Jacen's loyal dog.
    aye! and update :D and I can understand your memory being foggy... I had to go back and re-read what I had written a couple times to make sure I was still on-course for where I'm trying to head with this. And yes, Ben was Jace's loyal puppy, wasn't he?

I haven't commented on this fic before, so I'm going to mention some things from the other chapters if you don't mind. First of all, I like Seha, and I do not like Jysella, so I want Seha and Ben to be together here, though I doubt that's going to happen. Anyway, I liked the scene where Ben and the GAG troopers capture Lando and Tendra, it was well written, and the scene after that is even better. I was wondering the whole time what Lando would have done, who would he choose, Tendra and his unborn child or Leia and Han. Apparently he made his choice, he would give up his wife and child for his best friend, which I find just a tad bit surprising, but not too much, seeing as he betrayed Han once before and it ended up very badly for him. Also, I liked Ben's decision to save Lando and Tendra, though I wonder what Jacen did to him when he found out. Also, the Remnant GAG group was also interesting, is there a possibility that Jacen is alive.
    Can I ask why you prefer the one over the other? And don't be so sure Ben doesn't end up with her... and I don't think Lando would've given up his wife and child, I just don't think he thought Jacen would really kill Tendra or his child. Remember, he is one of jacen's "hold-father" -- at the point where lando was arrested, no one was quite certain just how dark Jacen had become...

Jacen killing Mirax was also and interesting twist, I wonder why the Jedi did nothing about it, though I suppose he was technically acting within the bounds of the law, so they didn't have a foot to stand on. This fic appears to differ slightly from profic, in the way that Luke was the one to defeat Jacen and it cost him his own life as well, so Kyp is now the Grand Master, I suppose he is one of the only logical choices.
    well the fact that he was acting within the law, and the fact that it was listed as an 'aneurysm' and the jedi didn't know better until Ben left Jacen. And yes, I'm playing rather foot-loose and fancy-free with pro-fic canon here, as this is firmly AU land ;)

This chapter was interesting,and I look forward to the next one, it's interesting that the two girls are punishing Ben for his honesty, rather than rewarding him, though Ben has to learn a bit of tact. Nice job, and I can't wait for the next chapter, and thanks for updating. =D= =D=
    regradless of how honest Ben's being, he's also saying some rather harsh truths. Jys is hurting, and Seha thought Ben was a nice-guy and this is interferin

3. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Great to see more here! :)

I feel bad. Poor Ben. :(

4. PHGS_Weyr

PHGS_Weyr Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 11, 2006
    i am so glad this is back! just what I wanted!!!!

This is so good! Ummm though i have to say that this was evil, poor ben, poor seha, poor jys (though not necessarily in that order)

Great post, thanks for the PM!

PHGS Weyr

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Why had I let her in, I thought to myself. Why? I didn't deserve any happiness. I knew that I wasn't worthy of it, I knew that I'd just end up hurting her, so why did I do it?.

This sounds so much like Luke would have been thinking. And Anakin Skywalker would have been convinced that he was ENTITLED to happiness. :(

Great post! =D=

6. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Healer_Leona
    Great to see more here! :)
    Thanks! I'm happy that it's coming back as well :D

I feel bad. Poor Ben. :(
    aye, me too...

PHGS_Weyr
    i am so glad this is back! just what I wanted!!!!
    Great! Thanks for reading!

This is so good! Ummm though i have to say that this was evil, poor ben, poor seha, poor jys (though not necessarily in that order)
    thanks! and yes, poor Ben, Seha and Jys...

Great post, thanks for the PM!
    thanks! and a pleasure!

VaderLVR64
    This sounds so much like Luke would have been thinking. And Anakin Skywalker would have been convinced that he was ENTITLED to happiness. :(
    Aye, it does mirror Luke's mode of thinking, and that's an interesting take on Anakin Skywalker's POV... [face_thinking]

Great post! =D=
    thanks!

New post should be up Friday evening...[/color]

7. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Seha left before I could say anything else, and I busied myself with the post-flight checks. One thing was certain, these girls were great at destroying anything resembling equilibrium.

I finally finished, and with a sigh leveraged myself out of the seat.

Instead of going to the common area, I stepped into my quarters and got prepped for the mission. Which involved changing everything about myself.

I needed to stop being Ben Skywalker, Jedi Trainee and start being Ben Whitesun, Private Investigator.

First I dyed my hair black, then I put a couple pebbles into my shoes to shift my walk. Next I slipped a pair of contacts into my eyes to shift my retinal patterns.

The last physical change was to spread a thin layer of an adhesive over my fingers to ensure I wouldn't leave any fingerprints.

I exchanged my Jedi robes for more Corellian style clothes. The jacket had been custom made to include a interior hook for my lightsaber, so that the only obvious weapon I carried was my blaster.

Finally, I picked up all the tools that my life as a spy had granted me; things like lockpicks, a forensics collector and a specialized, high-speed, datacopier.

My preparations complete, I went to the common area, and found both Seha and Jysella on one of the couches, talking quietly.

Seha noticed me first, and when she looked up at me, her eyes widened slightly.

Jys turned towards me, and arched an eyebrow. "I didn't realize that we were playing dress up."

I smirked at her. "Sometimes being a Jedi isn't the best thing for what you're trying to do."

"Don't you two start fighting right now, we have a mission," Seha replied. Then she focused on me. "So, do you happen to have a plan?"

I nodded my head. "My plan is that you and Jysella act like Jedi, being a bit conspicuous, but searching for some drug smugglers. I on the other hand, act all sneaky, and put that intelligence training that was drilled into me to good use."

Jysella's lips tightened for a moment. "I don't think I can see anything wrong with that plan."

I chuckled, and gave my head a sharp nod. "Great. So, we'll check in with one another at 1300 hours standard. Sound good?"

Both girls nodded their heads, and I gave a short smile for Seha before leaving the ship.

Part of me was happy that my plan for ensuring that I kept a low profile involved the girls working away from me.

Not only was I still worried about the girls sharing in the visions of the past I kept happening, but I also knew it was only a matter of time before Seha realized that I wasn't worthy of any happiness.

That I really wasn't worthy of her.

That I wasn't worthy to be with anyone.

Pushing the thoughts from my mind, I clenched my teeth, and headed towards Cassa's boarding school.

And before long, I was there. It was a bright cheerful structure, and having read the datapacket from Lando, I knew it was one of the best advanced education systems in the entire Alliance.

Patting my pockets to ensure that I had my "Ben Whitesun" credentials, I entered the school.

Within taking two steps into the building, a Tenandro protocol droid was standing in front of me.

"I am ZT-003, Welcome to Clorith School for Elementary Studies. How may I assist you?"

I knew about the ZT line. While they were technically a protocol droid, fundamentally they were a battle droid as well. Much like the nanny droid I had growing up, except for the "adult" world.

"Hello ZT, I'm Ben Whitesun," I replied, as I held out my credentials towards him. "I'm a private investigator hired by Lando Calrissian to look into his daughter's disappearance, and I'd like to talk to the administrator of this facility."

The droid scanned my credentials as I talked, and I knew that it should be talking to someone at the moment.

Then it seemed to focus on me again. "Please remain here, and Administrator Koo will be here momentarily."

I nodded my head, and finally looked around overtly. I wanted the security cameras to catch me looking at all the things that I had noticed when I stepped into the room. No need for them to realize about my

Delta1595 likes this.
  8. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Wait... the founding member of the school is a Sith Lord? Hmm... that can't be good.

As I walked back towards the spaceport, I just hoped that Seha and Jys were having an easier time without me around.

Ben, this is the GFFA. No one, especially not Jedi, ever has an easy time.

9. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Well, well, well? wonder if Lando knew any of that when he sent his daughter to that school.

Though it is only a rumor...

KT

10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Great update... maybe Seha and Jys can vent a bit about Ben LOL and figure things out on the emotional front [face_thinking]

11. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006

That was such a great summation of Jysella's feelings for Ben. Good job as always.

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Not only was I still worried about the girls sharing in the visions of the past I kept happening, but I also knew it was only a matter of time before Seha realized that I wasn't worthy of any happiness.

Loved it! =D=

13. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Great two chapters. I'm all caught up. (with this story anyway)

It's a good thing they've split up for the time being. I'd be interested to see while Ben is away from them if Jysella and Seha talk about any of what just happened and how it's affecting their relationship with him and the mission.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

Awww, poor Ben. So hard on himself. :(

15. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    hmmm one of the 'humanitarian' sith, i've got a bad feeling about this...

Great post, thanks for the pm!

16. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Draconarius
    Wait... the founding member of the school is a Sith Lord? Hmm... that can't be good.
    yes, but it was hundreds of years ago...

Ben, this is the GFFA. No one, especially not Jedi, ever has an easy time.
    heh... doesn't stop them from hoping for it though

Killik_Twilight
    Well, well, well? wonder if Lando knew any of that when he sent his daughter to that school.
    probably not... an don't forget it was the school that Ben went to as well

Though it is only a rumor...
    true

Jade_eyes
    Great update... maybe Seha and Jys can vent a bit about Ben LOL and figure things out on the emotional front [face_thinking]
    one hopes... but we'll see what happens ;)

Darth_Marrs
    That was such a great summation of Jysella's feelings for Ben. Good job as always.
    [face_grins]glad you think so ;)

VaderLVR64
    Loved it! =D=
    thanks!

Lola64
    Great two chapters. I'm all caught up. (with this story anyway)
    yippie! good to see you :D

It's a good thing they've split up for the time being. I'd be interested to see while Ben is away from them if Jysella and Seha talk about any of what just happened and how it's affecting their relationship with him and the mission.
    so would i, unfortunately, we're kind of stuck with just Ben's POV...

Healer_Leona
    Awww, poor Ben. So hard on himself. :(
    aye... but that's what makes him Luke's son ;)

PHGS_Weyr
    hmmm one of the 'humanitarian' sith, i've got a bad feeling about this...
    or just an easy way to see/find the best & brightest of the Republic Elite

Great post, thanks for the pm!
    thanks! and a pleasure!

17. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Let me let you in on a secret.

It's a secret to investigations which no one ever tells you about. A secret which is never shown on those crime holodramas. A secret that's glossed over in fictionalized accounts of crimes.

On an investigation, you spend 1% of your time doing stuff, 5% of your time talking to people and 94% of the time working on the computer, holonet or doing some type of forensics.

What all those numbers mean, is that after the thirty or so minutes I spent at the school collecting stuff, I had a good six hours of working through the collected data.

So, I was quickly engrossed in it.

First I looked at the forensics that were collected, and did not find anything.

Which I found really odd. Lando's reports stated that she had been disappeared at night from her quarters while she was in the learning pod.

There should have been something in the forensics, unless Cassa had left willingly. Or at the least with someone she knew well.

So, I opened up the data that had been on her console, and felt a frown forming on my face.

Cassa was at a high-end, primary education facility. One of those places where they take the kids for a few weeks, and when they return them, they know basic maths such as algebra, trigonometry and geometry, as well as how to read and had been given a dozen aptitude tests. The really good ones also tossed in a few languages onto the mix--and this was one of the best.

I should know, it was the same school where I had my primary education when I was four. It was three months of playing with other kids my age all day, getting information shoved into my brain at night, and finally going home and just knowing trig.

But what was causing my frown was the sheer amount of astronavigation theory that was on her console, as well as hyperspatial physics and starcharts.

I wasn't certain what to make of it.

All I knew was that there was something there. I could feel it, a niggle tugging at my memory, as my mind tried to bring something together.

I looked through the data that was on her console. One thing I was certain of, was that there was no way that that data should have been on her console, as even with the data imprinting of trigonometry, she shouldn't have enough higher-order maths to understand it. She would be able to plot a hyperspace course manually, but wouldn't know what that meant.

This was the data I was staring at when Seha commed me at 1300 hours.

I answered, "Whitesun here."

"Ben," came her response. "We've not found a single thing out here. There's no smuggling, no drug running, there's not even an unsolved murder for us to find."

I frowned, that bothered me, but I wasn't sure why. "No matter, why don't you two get back here. I think we need to get a closer look at that education facility."

"Did you find something?"

"I'm not sure. I'd like to get yours and Jys' opinions on what I'm looking at when you get here though."

"Copy that, Ben. Be there in ten."

Then the comlink went dead and I was once more watching the console screen, struggling to figure out what was niggling me at the back of my neck. What Seha had said on the com had made the niggle of unease worse. Something about there not being anything to attract a Jedi's attention.

Suddenly, everything shifted and I understood all the disparate parts: Cognos, Koo, an asteroid and astronavigation.

It all made sense. I jumped out of my seat and rushed from the room grabbing my saber as I did.

Instead of going to the gangplank, I ran into the cargo hold. With a flick of the Force, I opened the cargo doors, as I ripped the canvas off of my speeder. It was a sporty, open air model, and I jumped into it, quickly activating its repulsors.

The speeder's engine growled, and I feed it power. With a rush of wind, I was out of the ship. I saw Seha and Jys walking towards me, and I slashed to a stop in front of them.

"Get in," I yelled, and for once they listened to what I was saying, as they both climbed into the rear seats.

Once they were in, I stomped on the accelerator, and the speeder jumped forward

Delta1595 likes this.
  18. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    :eek: I hope they're okay!

19. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Okay... Ben... I know you're in a hurry, but that was just stupid. Break the gates down, by all means, but brake first so you don't go hitting poles in the middle of the school grounds.

Sheesh!

Awesome update, Kidan.

20. Killik_Twilight

Killik_Twilight Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2005
    Figures Ben would be the one who liked the numbers. You didn't get that from Mara wondering what her son would be like if he worked at a desk cluttered with actuarial tables, eh?

KT

21. PHGS_Weyr

Apr 11, 2006
    uh oh... bad times, still it's Ben its been worse!

Great post thanks for the PM!

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Ooh, the mystery thickens ... I love it!!! OK, so now Ben's really in no condition to help Cassa much less himself [face_frustrated] :p o_O

23. Darth_Marrs

Darth_Marrs Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2006
    At least they have some idea of what's going on now. Or at least Ben does.

24. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    star_writer24
    :eek: I hope they're okay!
    me too! and we'll find out tomorrow :D

Draconarius
    Okay... Ben... I know you're in a hurry, but that was just stupid. Break the gates down, by all means, but brake first so you don't go hitting poles in the middle of the school grounds.
    I'm sure he did break.. just like I'm sure he misjudged the distance from the gate to said pole... he's good, but not perfect ;)

Sheesh!
    [face_mischief]

Awesome update, Kidan.
    thanks!

Killik_Twilight
    Figures Ben would be the one who liked the numbers. You didn't get that from Mara wondering what her son would be like if he worked at a desk cluttered with actuarial tables, eh?
    *shrugs* I've no clue where that came from... I just looked and it had sprung out fully written...

PHGS_Weyr
    uh oh... bad times, still it's Ben its been worse!
    that's the way to look at things :D

Great post thanks for the PM!
    thanks! and a pleasure!

Jade_eyes
    Ooh, the mystery thickens ... I love it!!! OK, so now Ben's really in no condition to help Cassa much less himself [face_frustrated] :p o_O
    thanks! and we'll have to see

Darth_Marrs
    At least they have some idea of what's going on now. Or at least Ben does.
    true... but let's see what happens tomorrow :D

25. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    A voice intruded into my nice comfortable darkness.

"Ben!"

Groaning, I lifted my head and opened my eyes, frowning at how blurry the world was. Wiping my forehead, I pulled my hand away and saw it covered in blood. I looked over my shoulder and saw Seha and Jysella in the backseat, both safe and none the worse for wear.

"I'm okay," I mumbled as I pulled my lightsaber and slashed the gate which was wrapped around the driver's side of the speeder. I pulled out my comlink, clipped it to my collar and set up an autofeed to the Scion, programming the ship to send the data to the Jedi and Uncle Lando, if the com-connection shut off. Then I was climbing out of the speeder. As I rushed up the steps, I called over my shoulder, "Come on you two."

I kicked in the door, and there was the protocol droid, it's arm folding away to reveal a heavy repeating blaster.

My saber came up, as the blaster let loose, sending the bolts right back at the droid.

Then Jysella was dancing around me, her silver blade slashing in, and she cleaved the droid into two. I didn't give it a second thought, but instead reached out with the Force, hunting for Administrator Koo.

I felt her Force presence a short distance away, and began running down the hall. "This way," I called out, and then used the Force to really run.

Within moments, I had burst into a hanger. I noticed a few things as I entered. The first was the yacht that was obviously warming its engines.

Next was Casa and immediately to her right was another girl about the same age. Both were obviously frightened as they were sitting perfectly still in chairs, and right behind each were two security droids.

Droids which began shooting as soon as I stepped into the hanger.

I cursed, as I dove to the side with the realization that I couldn't risk deflecting the bolts back because they might hit the girls. I rolled behind some crates, and glanced at the door noticing that Jys and Seha hadn't come through yet.

I sent them an image of what I was seeing over our training bond, and hoped they'd catch onto what I was doing. Then Koo was standing on the edge of the gangplank, and called out, "Bring the girls, and kill Whitesun."

"No!" I screamed as I jumped to my feet and threw my saber towards Koo. The Chadra-fan yelped and dropped to the ground as my blade slashed through the support struts for the gangplank--knowing that would be enough for it to fail launch protocols.

I was running after the saber, when a series of bolts stuttered across my path. I threw myself backwards, and away from the bolts. Where are you two? I sent over the training bond.

To get a wave of amusement, tinged slightly with Jys' sense of humor coming back to me.

Then one of the droids let out an electronic squeal. I looked that way and saw Seha behind a droid the one immediately behind Cassa, her saber extending from its chest.

Then Jysella took out the droid holding the other girl.

With a grin, I stretched out my hand and flicked with the Force. The two remaining droids flew against the wall, slamming into it hard enough to break.

Recalling my saber, I turned on Koo. "Hello Administrator. It's a pleasure to see you again."

I forced myself to not laugh as the diminutive alien glared at me. Koo's gaze flicked from me towards the girls and then back. "How... who?"

I shrugged, ignoring her questions as I slipped a pair of stun-coughs on her wrists. Then I turned and walked over to Seha and Jysella. "How're they?"

Seha looked at me, concern flickering over her face. "Physically they're fine, but they just keep repeating hyperspace coordinates."

I sighed. "I was afraid of that. Apparently, Koo over there has been shoving, at least Cassa's head full of astronavigation programming instead of the standard primary education that she was supposed to be getting."

Both Jys' and Seha's faces hardened, as their eyes flickered over to the administrator. I chuckled as I felt Koo's Force presence flare in fear.

"Freeze!"

We turned and saw a squad of the planetary security forces entering the hangar, t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.