main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate I Want to Believe-The Senate's Social Thread and Secret Society Roundtable

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr44, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Welcome to 2008's social thread.

A place where smoking men reveal shadowy secrets, the fate of nations are decided by the contents of a envelope, and the Stonecutters really do make Steve Guttenberg a star..

Ok, maybe not. But because it is the social thread, it's a place where everyone can relax, get to know everyone else, and post about anything.

(and on the off-chance that she stops by, this is dedicated to NP and the upcoming X-Files movie...)

2. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    You know, they're doing a terrible job of promoting the new X-files movie. The posters are like decipherable only by the 5 remaining fans. I'll be surprised if it makes 5 million.

Which sucks because I really liked X-files and want it to be sucessful like Star Trek.

*le sigh*

3. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    New X-Files movie?

4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would like to see it do well also but though it ended well enough the show was dragged on too long and it's been a long time since X-files anything has been mainstream.

In all honesty though there are a few films that have done, are doing, and will do well most movies seem to struggle and I think national fatigue concerning world affairs is the culprit.

5. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    I admit, I'm still enough of a fanboy that I'll see it.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I just know they're gonna ruin my childhood with that movie. They've done that for everything else.

7. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I chalk it up less to world affairs and more to Hollywood failing.

8. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    I thought the last one was well done...too bad they completely dumped the mythology afterwards.

I think this one is supposed to be a standalone like the MOTW.

9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's surprising they decided to make another X Files movie. The first one was a financial letdown and not very interesting. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely going to see it. But that's not saying much. I'm not very discriminating about movies.

10. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jansons_Funny_Twin Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I'm gonna see this movie some time. Hope it doesn't suck.

Anyway, here's what I've been up to the last week.

Jifty's pics of Berlin

Wonderful city, I absolutely recommend it for any history buff. Great food, great sites, great public transportation. It's unlike any capital city I've ever been to. I'll be uploading today's pics tomorrow (it's nearly midnight here now, and I had a long day). Went biking with my dad in a forest here. They have a forest inside the city, a huge frakking forest. And then I just bounced around the U- and S-Bahn just doing some crowd watching. Tomorrow we go to the Allied Museum to see the display on Sgt. Elvis Presley.

More to come.

11. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    If you like Berlin, I think you would love Budapest for the same reasons.

I mean there are monuments in the city that have stood since the 950-980's. That's not as old as some, but they represent architecture from the "Holy Roman Empire" revival period.

It's also interesting to contrast the stark difference between the buildings of the communist period- which have a stark utilitarianism that is at home in a Scifi movie- and the buildings that were erected after as a commentary.

The food is good, but everything is either made with cabbage, bacon, or sour cream...

12. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    My dad was in Budapest for a little bit. He seemed to like it a lot. But yeah, Berlin is certainly a "new" city by European standards. When I lived in Germany the first time, the military base I lived near was in a town that was founded in 999. 1999 was their millennial celebration, and they came out with a kick ass beer at the brewery for it.

13. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Bacon tastes good, Mr44.

14. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I've got a home project when I get back from this deployment.

I'm going to take Gethsemane/Redux 1/Redux 2 into Windows Movie Maker and edit them together into my own damn X-Files movie. :p

15. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Bacon tastes good, Mr44.

oh, that's a given.

But there is just something unsettling about thick cut bacon wrapped with more bacon strips, covered in sour cream...

16. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    J_F_T, I've been to Germany. It is the most Western of any European country I've been to. It's a good place. I went a little off the tourist traps to see the family owned shops where they make coo-coo clocks. The use lathes that are no bigger than my hand! Incredible craftmanship!

About movies;

Is it just because I was a kid in the 80's or were some of the best movies made in that decade? Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Aliens, Total Recall, Demolition Man, Breakfast Club, Chariots of Fire, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Indianna Jones, E.T., and on and on.

Do this decade's movies stand up? Spider-Man, Iron Man, Lord of the Rings, Matrix, Harry Potter, 40 Year Old Virgin... Great movies, but I feel they may not stand the test of time as well.

And what happened to the movies from the 90's? Culturally the 90's may become the new 70's! Jurassic Park and Independace Day are really the only movies that come to mind.:confused:

Comments?

17. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    70s and 80s were definitely a golden age for Hollywood blockbusters.

1975-1984: Jaws, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., Return of the Jedi, Ghostbusters, Beverly Hills Cop.

18. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Bacon covered in sour cream?

That should be illegal.

Give me a side of bacon with chocolate-chip pancakes, or on a thick Angus cheeseburger with fries.

If I'm feeling expensive, wrap them around some scallops.

But sour cream...?

19. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Speaking of the Austro-Hungarian empire, there's a delicious Austrian dish made from mashed bacon and bacon fat, aged in the cellar for 3-4 weeks, then eaten spread on bread like peanut butter. Sort of an open-faced cholesterol sandwich.

20. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Sour cream tastes good, V03.

21. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Let's not forget 1978's Superman and also The Terminator and Red Dawn in 1984.

22. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Superman - how could I forget? Still maybe the best of all comic book movies.

Red Dawn.

That movie still brings tears to my eyes every time I see it. Jennifer Grey and C. Thomas Howell, their faces all smudged with dirt, their narrow shoulders slumped under the weight of their submachine guns. Harry Dean Stanton in that awful communist concentration camp.

23. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Me too! And let's not forget about 1983's The Outsiders. I cry every time! "Stay Golden."

24. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    They know that the built in fan base will go see the movie regardless of how much is spent on promoting it. Why waste money on convincing others to see it when they probably won't anyway? At least, that is probably what they are thinking.

25. Jansons_Funny_Twin

Jul 31, 2002
    I did that my first time in Germany (absolutely stunning work, I agree), this time is pure Berlin History. Found a nice shirt that says, "Berlin: A Sunny City for Shady People". God, I love Cold War humor. And there's this nice (and free) walking tour of Berlin. A wonderful time.

My only real problem with Berlin is it's lack of good Schwäbisch food. I deride the lack of Jägerschnitzel with Käsespätzle. Even their Döner-Kebap is different, because they use a thinner, crispier bread rather than the nice, soft pita used in Southern Germany.

Still, I'm loving it here! Few more days left. I'll be seeing Knut (the polar bear the Germans went wild for a couple years ago) at the Berlin Zoo tomorrow, so I'll make sure to get pics there as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.