main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate I Want to Believe-The Senate's Social Thread and Secret Society Roundtable

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr44, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

I do not. :p As for ties, I see them as a needless accessory... seriously, what actual use do they have? Why did they creep into acceptable use?

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    How dare you, sir! Classics by definition don't need to be changed, for one, and if you find a better looking watch than my Seamaster I'm keen to hear about it :p

Goes back centuries; it's no different to a decorative scarf in terms of randomly tied cloth about the neck.

Some people cannot match tie to shirt, but those who do look far more impressive than those who don't, Tunes.

3. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    The tie was to cover up the unsightly line of buttons down the front of a man's shirt. Don't know why buttons were considered unsightly, tho.

4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Evidently, the Porsche 911 is the most beautiful structure ever constructed by man. Why, it has never changed. Obviously it hasn't needed to. But is the 911 a classic because young men never get tired of an egg-shaped sports car, or because "it's a Porsche, so if you don't like it, shut up, you don't know what you're talking about, because it's a Porsche and PS. I'm better than you for having one"? I'd say a substantial part of it is the latter. Admittedly, it's not a repulsive thing. But there's nothing special about its looks either. A big part of its staying power is the allure of the brand, the prestige. The fact that the 911 shape is instantly recognizable. You can't put a price on that kind of cool factor. If it was a Toyota it would never have been able to stay this long and keep looking the same.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Why does a tie have to match the shirt, suit, etc? I wore a black suit & pants to my cousin's wedding last month, and the tie didn't match!

:p

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well the allure with a Porsche is beyond the looks. The fact it's stubbornly rear engined when front- or mid-engined is the standard for sports cars. The fact that despite that weight at the back it doesn't oversteer. The engine, the sound of it. And yes, the look. The opening of Le Mans is fantastic just for that 1969 912S that McQueen drove.

Tunes - Because if not, you look idiotic. This link will explain it in more detail than I could:

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/04/26/match-tie-with-shirt-suit/

7. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    You say that as a petrol head. The average cock* who owns one doesn't know half of that.

* I'm referring here to the male chicken.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Reading that gave me a headache... too much attention to detail there. :p I've got very little patience for the fine tuning of fashion, etc.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Hence the neckbeard? :p

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    That, and my keeping to the same 2-4 shirts (and the same 2-3 pairs of pants) I wear when I go out.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Dear lord. I have enough pairs of shirts to wear one every day for 2 weeks without needing replace them. And t-shirts? Could comfortably go 1 month before I ran out. :S

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Tunick, you should hire Ender to be your life coach.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Want a merit badge for that? :p I'm happy with the clothes I've got, and buy new ones (work related) when needed.

harpuah: That would not end well.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [ BANE] For you! [ /BANE]

Come on Tunes. You could learn a lot.

We put a Breitling Superocean II on your wrist (http://www.watchsites.net/watches/w...rocean-watch/breitling-superocean-watch_2.jpg), get a few nice suits, play some baccarat. You'd love it. Jello could come too.

15. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Tunick, doesn't the neckbeard gnaw away at all of your shirt collars? My old t-shirts that I only use at home have the collar stitch gnawed open because of my 3 day beards. It eats away at the fibers.I can only imagine what your beard does to it. :p

And Ender, another bland design, what is with your taste? :p

16. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    A full windsor? Isn't that the mark of a cad?

Personally, I usually use a half-windsor (at least with my 2-piece suits), because I'm a little taller than average, and it is easier for me to get it to a suitable length. With my 3-piece suits, I'm more open to a full windsor, as the vest will cover any length issues.

17. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Certainly on my work shirt, I'll have to check on my other collared shirts (all 2 of them :p ).

Ender_Sai: I'd be down with that, and we could throw in a Moore free Bond marathon too.

18. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Some music to go with the current topic.

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  20. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Do shirts only come in pairs where you're from? I live in America where we can buy them one at a time.

21. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I wish you could buy socks by the dozen.

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I have a dozen socks.

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I have way too many socks. The damn things must grow on trees. At least I'll forever be more fortunate than the Prince Regent.

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Then you must be all the people on this board.

Seriously though, it's like a law of nature: out of every pair of sock I buy, one goes missing. It never fails.

25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    So, buy all your socks in the same color, style, etc. and then you'll always have a replacement for that lost sock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.