main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate I Want to Believe-The Senate's Social Thread and Secret Society Roundtable

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr44, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It's refined. What would you chose? :p

Kimball, I see you googled FRWL by Fleming. :p

Jabba - I don't know why I used that word. Obviously we'd say a pair of trousers, but shirt. Hmmm. Shut up, that's what.

2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Black socks. There's a gremlin who feeds on them out there. :(

Jedi Merkurian and SuperWatto like this.
  3. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Admit it Ender - you buy those '2 for the price of 1' double packs of shirts from Myer. :p

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ugh. Van Heusen or something? Ugh.

Mostly I get mine from Herringbone in QVB or Thomas Pink (which is now conveniently stocked in David Jones in Sydney's CBD. As opposed to Jermyn St in London. Which, from Sydney, lacks convenience).

5. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Preferably something without numbers in the dial. I prefer lines. It's more subtle, more... how should I put it... refined. ;) But if it has numbers, I want them to take little space and/or have a cool looking font. Not that fat bold font the one on your picture has. I realize that it has a thick bezel because it's a diving watch, so I'll let that pass, but that's why diver's watches rarely catch my attention. Plus, I'm not a diver. :p

I'm going to type in "watches" in Google now, and pick out some that catch my attention, then I'm gonna link them here.

For something simple, subtle and elegant, how's this? The textured dial is a nice touch, IMO, but I would have picked a different bracelet for it tbh. Or, for a square case, I'd have gone with this.
    For one with chrono fuction, I'd have gone with this, for example. Or, for something a bit more fresh, I love the color combination of this one.
    This one's cool, although it's pricey.
    Or, for something off the rails and unique: this one. This one, I didn't find now in Google. I remember it caught my attention in a magazine a few years back. It's unusual in its design, but still elegant and clean cut in its lines. Also sporty looking.

Edit: Since you presented a Breitling, I much prefer this Breitling to the one you presented.

6. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I used to be a bit of a label snob when I was younger, but then I got married, had four children and bought a house in need of renovations. Now my wife has to drag me away from buying shirts and suits at Lowes. :p

7. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Google that quote? Never!

I've been quoting that since before Google was a stream of bits going down a series of tubes. Some of us have actually read the high literature by Ian Fleming, after all. :p

8. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, so re: the Seiko - it appears to have a redundant second set of hour hands?
    Also, for a similar look http://www.omegawatches.com/gents/deville/hour-vision/43133412103001 - do you dislike this too? :p

Re; Pricey - £300 isn't pricey for a watch :p

9. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    1. It's dual time.

3. Meh. For me it's pricey.

2. Now we're talking! Did you wake up from a coma or something? :p This one's so nicer than the other two you've shown until now. I like it! [face_mischief] The 007 watch especially is so boringly styled. This one is tasteful, though.

So I fiddled around the Omega page a bit, and the top one in this page is cool, innit? ;)

I have to say my perception of Omega being boring is broken. I am loving their De Ville lineup. Look at this! This is the kind of inventive designs I love.

10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  11. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I'm referring to the 007 Seamaster model of this year. To my memory, the ones that are advertised as "Bond's choice" are always the same though, or at least look pretty much the same. Is that correct? I liked the gun barrel design on the case back. That was a nice touch. But few in the Seamaster lineup as a whole appeal to me.

On the Double Eagle, I agree. This version of it I find a bit more tolerable, but it wouldn't have been my first choice nonetheless.

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I need some help.

I´m cleaning out the basement. Getting a new floor, because the old one was leaky (Amsterdam, built on water, etc).
    Just threw out all my old cassettes, LP records, and VHS tapes. And now I'm looking at this 40-volume, leather-bound Encyclopedia Brittannica.

[​IMG]

It's 25 years old and it comes out of a damp basement. It's smelly. It's yellowed. Some volumes even have wavy pages. I haven´t looked anything up in it for at least 12 years. But I´ve been unsure if I should throw it away for years now. And the only reason I'm unsure is...
    The fall of civilization.

Friends don't get it. My girlfriend doesn't get it. My daughter doesn't get it. Even my mother doesn't get it. Does the Senate get it? If you guys also think that that's stupid, I'm throwing it out.

13. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I get it, but I find that reason a bit crazy. Couldn't you just buy new editions and keep those in immaculate condition? It's not as if the fall is right around the corner. Besides, I don't think civilization will fall. No, we'll just keep limping on toward a directionless future until people decide they have had enough stagnation. When you get right down to it, barring any sort of major calamity, that's the only realistic fate for our civilization these days.

14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  15. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    However, the book recycling website says:
    Since our shop only has limited space and we are still looking for extra storage for books, we do not have room for the following books:
    - informative / reference books (e.g. encyclopedias) more than 10 years old.
    Nobody wants these things.

Getting replacement material sounds good, but replacement reference material on a DVD doesn't really cut it for me. The fall of civilization, I imagine, comes with loss of electricity. And new editions in print aren´t being made anymore.

16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm keeping my Riverside Shakespeare against the fall of civilization, but other than that I've learned to let books go. If God had wanted us to preserve all the knowledge of modern civilization, he wouldn't have let Al Gore invent the internet.

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Okay, I'll bite on the "fall of civilization" bit. If civilization did fall, why would you need moldy and ancient encyclopedias? What use would they be to you?

It's a bummer they don't take old books like yours. I used to work for a book distributor that stored and filled orders for amazon sellers. We'd upload books into a database, which would assign a place for each book in this enormous warehouse. The software would automatically reject certain books, encyclopedias were always rejected (this should tell you something about the books you're holding on to). We'd send books by the truckload to a recycling plant. Nothing got thrown away, really... just recycled. Perhaps there's some place similar near you?

18. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    I'd like to think that we as a species have learned, if not much, then at least a little from our history. Why throw that away and go back to square one? You're fond of the age of empires, are you?

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I don't think the recycling of Watto's encyclopedias will take civilization back to square one.

Jedi Merkurian and Ender_Sai like this.
  20. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Sure it would, if everyone did it. We're talking after the fall of civilization here.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    There are libraries everywhere. Information would not cease to be if personal collections were culled.

I mean, they're his books... if he wants to keep them, he'll keep them. I'm just saying documentation of our civilization does not depend on the collection of encyclopedias in his basement.

22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    But my livelihood after the fall of civilization does.
    I'm being strictly egotistical here.

23. Violent Violet Menace

Aug 11, 2004
    Please! Everyone knows libraries are gonna be looted by hobos after the fall of civilization! That's common knowledge.

24. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Watto,

The only use for those encyclopedias after the fall of civilization will be as a fuel source. Hopefully, they won't be so water-logged as to not burn well.

25. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Throw them out. If civilization falls then humanity will need to start again. Old reference material will not help that process. Think of your Brittanica's as the Galactica on a slow collision course into the sun in the BSG finale. :-B

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.