Senate I Want to Believe-The Senate's Social Thread and Secret Society Roundtable

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr44, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lowbacca_1977 Force Ghost

star 6
    Good luck on the subways, I remember the subway stations being really frustrating. Personally, I'd recommend a compass.

Walking through Central Park was really nice though.
  2. dianethx Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I wouldn't walk through Central Park at night, though. At least some parts.

I'd say Time Square for sure, Battery Park in the day. Walk 5th Avenue down from Central Park and look at all the stores you'll recognize from old movies. Grand Central Station is fun to look at as is the NYC Library. I assume you don't have time for the museums which is the best part of NYC, imo. Chinatown is fun for eating and just the look. Greenwich Village is fun, very enegetic.

Oh, if you possibly can, take the Circle Line Ferry around NYC. Worth the money! It's on the west side of Manhattan on the river (I think 45 street is the cross street but I'm not sure) It's a couple of hours long but you get to see what a great city NY is.
  3. Darth Mischievous Force Ghost

star 6
    Thanks for the advice, guys!

:)

I look forward to returning later this week. I'll let you all know how it goes.

4. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    Central Park at night used to be hell (back in the 80s early 90s). Now parts aren't so bad, say around 79th Street on either side, on the East going towards the lake and boat house, on the West around Strawberry Fields. I'd avoid going any deeper than that, though.
  5. Darth Mischievous Force Ghost

star 6
    We just got back, and we had a great time!

:)

We had a rushed tour, but got to see pretty much everything. We also made it to a Yankees game on Tuesday night. The subways made everything easy to get around.

Next time we go, we're going to go for a longer period to have more leisure time.
  6. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Glad you had a great time. My brother's moving back to Manhattan in December, so I'll be going there more often myself.
  7. yankee8255 Force Ghost

star 6
    The last nail in the coffin of any chance to move back ended when I sold my apartment last week. I've known for a while that my life is here in Austria now, but that made it so much more final.
  8. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    I lived in Vienna for two years. It was a wonderful time. And I met my wife there. It was the first big city I'd ever lived in. Now it seems a bit tame compared to Chicago, but I still love it. Chicago, Vienna and New York will always be my favorite cities.
  9. LostOnHoth Chosen One

star 5
    I'm posting from London Heathrow airport waiting for my flight home. Just spent the week in the lovely Devon countryside near Exeter, England. Very nice and the weather was pretty damn good too - weekend in London was actually very sunny. Can't wait to come back.
  10. Espaldapalabras Force Ghost

star 5
    I need to get out more. I haven't left the mountain west in 4 years. My sister is living in Hawaii so I think I'm going to go there and visit soon.
  11. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    If I lived in the mountain west, I might not ever leave it either. I grew up in the flatlands - rows of corn and soybeans for as far as the eye can see. Hills are still a novelty for me that I can never get enough of.
  12. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Well, the city of Chicago is off to a magnificent start in the playoffs.
  13. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I lived in the 2nd District in Vienna (Grosse Schiffgasse), and absolutely loved it. There hasn't been a week in the last 12 years that I haven't thought about going back.
  14. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    It's a terrific city. I lived on the Burggasse near the Volkstheater.
  15. Espaldapalabras Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm planning a trip to DC next month, any suggestions? I was thinking of going to Hawaii, but I think I am going to wait till next spring for that when my sister who lives there isn't going through finals. I had too much vacation time so I had to use it before the year ends so I decided I'm just going to take a trip by myself, which will probably be better because I don't really like going to museums with other people. I've never been there before but I plan on using the metro system to get around. I would like to see all the national monuments, the air and space museum, and the spy museum. I plan on being there around 6 days.
  16. KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus

star 8
    Be a careful driver if you drive. It's a nightmare of a city to navigate, and don't plan on easily turning yourself around if you make a wrong turn.
  17. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Six days is a good amount of time for a first DC trip. There's a lot to see.
  18. Mastadge Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Depending on how long you like to spend on things, I'd say you could easily take a day just walking up and down the mall, seeing the monuments and memorials. Another full day or two for the Smithsonian museums, depending on your interest. Portrait Gallery, Air and Space, Natural History, etc. Make sure to visit the Holocaust Memorial Museum -- figure a couple hours to a half-day for that.
  19. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    The Native American museum is still relatively shiny and new - a beautiful building in any case. I still haven't been inside although I've driven by it a few times since it's opened.
  20. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    I live and work in the DC area, and I have been known to play tour guide at times.

Depending on when you'll be here and what your schedule looks like, PM me and I can arrange to show you some of the lesser-known sights.

Kimball Kinnison
  21. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Stick with the Metro - it will do you well. Hit the monuments and museums (everyone does) as a bare minimum, hit Chinatown (its a hub stop for four lines, if memory serves; it's on the green line, at least); hit the shops on M Street and Wisonsin Avenue, too. There are a couple of restaurants I'd suggest (I lived in DC during my undergraduate years): Fogo de Chau (Brazilian steakhouse), Filomena (excellent food - on Wisconsin Avenue below M Street - head towards the canal), etc. Expect to bleed money while you are there - many of the places worth seeing (and dining) are expensive.
  22. Kimball_Kinnison Force Ghost

star 6
    You just need to learn the hidden treasures in the town.

One web site that is invaluable if you want good dining in the DC area is Tyler Cowen's Ethnic Dining Guide. He's an economics professor at GMU, but in his spare time he reviews local ethnic restaurants. If you are in the DC area, check out a lot of his recommendations. Many of them are not all that expensive.

Kimball Kinnison
  23. Force_Chick Jedi Knight

star 1
    I've read that they are planning on remaking Red Dawn (along with 4 other classics) soon:oops: :rolleyes:

http://www.cracked.com/article_16665_5-upcoming-remakes-80s-movies-that-must-be-stopped.html
  24. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Almost as bad as the planned remake of Top Gun.
  25. Force_Chick Jedi Knight

star 1
    A remake of that one is planned too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.