main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate I Want to Believe-The Senate's Social Thread and Secret Society Roundtable

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr44, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    He's doing his Mykelya impression again, I see.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    "And to think, this pop-up book is still more canon than the EU is about to be."

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, looks like I get to meet Jeff Dressler in a few days. :D

4. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    The Army War College Jeff Dressler? That's pretty impressive.

Why, that's practically an invitation to the AWG, is it not? (assuming it's the same)

5. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yep, that'd be him. He's coming down for a guest speaking bit and I'm figuring out how our brigade is arranging his travel itinerary.

6. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    You'll have to give a summary of whichever portions of his speech are available to the public. Although even though he's not old, he's supposed to have more of a traditional "cold war" conservative mentality, so that should be interesting as well.

7. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, if he comes now :p We're running into problems.

I'd imagine you can get plenty of him on foreignpolicy.com; he writes for them regularly.

8. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Of course, but there's always a difference in experience between reading something buffered by the internet, and actually seeing the person, well, in person.....

You know the famous line, "Please allow myself....to introduce...myself.."

DarthBoba likes this.
  9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    lol. Of course. :p

I might actually wind up picking him up from the airport tomorrow. :p

10. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    This is a direct plea to E_S here.

So, I read that Julian Assange, supra-idiot, is going to run for a seat in the upper house during the next Australian elections under the political organization he created, the "Wikileak Party." His platform is going to be extreme personal freedom and total openness of government. Of course, there's the small manner of him being confined inside the Ecuadorean Embassy in London, but apparently, that fact isn't going to stop him from running. This has got to be some sort of scam, and my first impression is that perhaps senators in Australia can't be extradited for criminal charges? But seriously, voters in Australia can't be considering this, can they? Maybe he'll put together a dream ticket and run along side of David Hicks?

11. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I would rather have Julian Assange, David Hicks or Mamdouh Habib over Julia Gillard. Let them all run I say. It would actually be a very interesting experiment to have someone like Julian Assange in government, kinda like the 2008 candidate Obama and his warm and fuzzy platform of change and openness which changed immediately once he assumed high political office and actually had to be responsible for something.

12. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    No fan of Gillard's? I'm not aware of anything major she's done to muck things up. She certainly can't be worse than Elmer Fudd, er I mean Kevin Rudd..... She certainly looks like a younger Judi Dench as "M," and you can't really beat that....

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Speaking of Dame Judi Dench, I read that during the filming of Chronicles of Riddick, she, Karl Urban, and Vin Diesel would play D&D during down-time on the set.

Just let that visual sink in…

DarthBoba likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I guess Vin Diesel is a HUGE D&D nut. Speaking of which.....when is the new Riddick movie coming out? I need more Riddick.

15. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    He is. Vin Diesel wrote the forward for the 30th anniversary book for Dungeons and Dragons. He also gave an interview on one of the entertainment shows about how he grew up with the game. Apparently, when he was younger, he was a bouncer at some clubs in New York and looked pretty much the same as he does now. Except he would run home and play D&D with his friends instead of doing other "bouncerly" things, and he would really get into the characters he was playing.

DarthBoba likes this.
  16. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Happy New Year everybody!
    Look, I made this.

17. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    That was cute!! It actually played on my computer!! It's now 1/11/13 and hardly anyone is posting here. What's up, people?

18. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Cute. And insulting to Austrians! Win win.

19. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks guys.
    It's the third year in a row I made a holiday message for this company; the previous animations got a couple hundred views.
    This time we added a little dance and put 'Gangnam' in the title... boom... over hundred thousand views.

'Viral' really means 'lowest common denominator'.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You're basically just talking doomsday scenarios here, LoH.Though, there is logical grounding to your points.

See, what our American and British cousins fail to realise is that we have the single worst "leader" (name only) in the Western world. Anyone who is not Julia Gillard would be a better leader, by virtue of not being Julia Gillard.

Even the super-Catholic opposition leader, whose views coincide neatly with Season 1 of Mad Men, would be better even though he's pretty terrible, by virtue of not being Julia Gillard.

Nations get the leader they deserve, so clearly we deserve the clown shoes we have. :(

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    The Senate's been left for dead. I feel there should be a casket or some such. Hopefully it rises from the dead again.

22. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Oh, well, maybe somebody can make a video of someone playing "Taps."

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If it rose from the dead, wouldn't that make it and the Senate mods Zombies?

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He also claims to have once lived in a hobbit hole.

25. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000

I think somebody took that as a cue...
    Australia to allow Geert Wilders in for speaking tour

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.