main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate I Want to Believe-The Senate's Social Thread and Secret Society Roundtable

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr44, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The gun control thread should be tagged Senate; JC mods are instead proving a point. :rolleyes:

Juliet316 and DarthBoba like this.
  2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Tell me in your opinion, is this offensive? We Iranians refer to Far Easterners (what Americans typically refer to as Asians) as "almond-eyed", because of the typical shape of their eyes. I should note, we also do use the term Far Easterner, but both terms are equally common. "Almond-eyed" is like the same racial category as an American would call "Asian". In my mind, this is kind of in the gray area. I guess one could argue, however, that it's no different to how we describe Africans as black, which is also a physical attribute that is used as a racial marker and nobody seems to think that's offensive, and that this shouldn't be any different. What do you think? Yes or no?

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Um...pretty much lol. That's right on the same level as, well, not allowed to post it here.

Pick your favorite ethnic slur for what "it" is, though. :p

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Are there any Senate regulars who have just disappeared since the move?

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Plenty of regulars left before that.

6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah but it still seems like we're missing people, but I can't think of names (other than Darth Yuthura, who already kinda stopped)

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    We lost Ghost - haven't seen him in months.

:p

DarthBoba and Summer Dreamer like this.
  8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'm not sure if I'd say disappeared... but dropped off, yeah. I've seen the occasional post since, but not too frequent. It seemed there was a noticeable drop in activity once we knew things would be shutting down for a while, and then it was at that for a while as things were being set up.

9. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  10. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    The Cyrus Cylinder set to make U.S. debut

The British Museum has announced that in 2013 this relic will at last be available for viewing in the United States. Until now, Americans could only view a copy, held in the United Nations headquarters in New York. Five U.S. museums will have the privilege of hosting the Cyrus Cylinder, which will begin its U.S. tour in March:

• Smithsonian’s Arthur M. Sackler Gallery and Freer Gallery of Art, Washington, DC: March 9th – April 28th, 2013
    • Museum of Fine Arts, Houston: May 3rd – June 14th, 2013
    • Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York: June 20th – August 4th, 2013
    • Asian Art Museum, San Francisco: August 9th – September 22nd, 2013
    • J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Villa, Los Angeles: October 2nd – December 2nd, 2013

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  11. Espaldapalabras

Espaldapalabras Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2005
    Yeah I haven't come back here much. I'd like to say real life intervened, but if I'm honest I mostly just moved to newer platforms to waste time on the internet. I wonder what will become of this place when the new star wars movies come out. Will a bunch of new kids show up, or will they just be tweeting or whatever they do nowadays?

12. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Good to see you around again, word on the street was that you're on the reddit now

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    A bunch of new kids have already registered, actually.

14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    There shouldn't even be a Senate to tag things as. It's redundant and pointless.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So are you, Wocky.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I'm redundant? Who on these forums is like me?

17. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm going to be sparse for the next few days/weeks.

Last night, we invited a friend from church over for dinner. She lives down the street, has been friends with my family (particularly my Uncle and Aunt) for decades, and lost her husband about a year ago, so we've generally tried to help her out where we can. As she walked in the door, she asked us "Have you heard the bad news?"

Yesterday afternoon, my Aunt Tanya was killed in a car accident in upstate New York. Our friend had just found out from her daughter (who found out through Facebook). My Aunt was traveling in a van with my cousin (her oldest daughter) and seven of her grandchildren. At last word, my cousin was out of surgery and in serious condition, and her two oldest children were on life support in critical condition, one of them with possible bran stem injuries. The other five children seem to be fine, other than bumps, bruises, and cuts.

My Uncle JD was in Utah with another of my cousins at the time, preparing to help them drive cross-country this week for their family's annual beach week at the Outer Banks. Now, he's trying desperately to get to New York, instead.

This morning, I have the responsibility to notify my Aunt Judy (JD's sister) who is in assisted living near us, as we don't know when JD will return here. This is not going to be fun. Tanya and Judy weren't the best of friends at times, but they really did love and care for each other. It's going to crush Judy. And as the only other family that lives near both JD and Judy, I'm the only one who really can do it.

I'd like to say that pointless arguments with all of you seems like fun, but my heart just isn't in it right now.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  18. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    KK, for all that I may disagree with you on many issues, my heart truly goes out to you and your family right now.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    :(

I'm sorry Kimball, no family should have to go through something like that.

20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Terribly sorry to hear that Kimball.

21. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm sorry for you and your family's loss, KK. You have my very sincere condolences.

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Sorry to hear it, KK. You have my sympathy. It's really horrible when a life ends just like that.

23. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003
    You have my thoughts and prayers, Kimball. :(

24. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    If anyone is interested, here is a news article about the accident.

The good news is that my cousin was released from the hospital today, and there are encouraging signs for both of her children still in the hospital. Christina (age 14, the oldest daughter) is responsive, stable, and was finally able to undergo surgery for her broken arms and legs today. Joshua (age 13, the third child) seems to be stabilizing. He suffered a brain stem injury, but it seems to be healing. His blood pressure and body temperature have stabilized (both are controlled by the brain stem.), and they are talking about easing him off of the sedatives to see if he can at least partially wake up. He likely suffered some brain damage, but his situation is improving.

Our entire family has been overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and support we've received. A fundraising drive started by another cousin of mine has raised over $40000 towards helping them with their medical expenses. I've had numerous people here in Virginia asking me what they can do to help (their house is about 3 miles from mine, and we are in the same congregation at church). The hardest part is simply waiting and knowing that there's nothing that we can do right now. Our work will come later.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    An AI set up to be contrary on things can obviously be replicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.