main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate I Want to Believe-The Senate's Social Thread and Secret Society Roundtable

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr44, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It's good to hear that there's some good news, KK. How are you personally holding up?

2. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I'm doing fine, really. It's been a shock, but we've also received a lot of comfort from those around us. My wife and I live about 2 blocks away from the house that my uncle and aunt lived in for almost 30 years (until they moved 3 miles away 9 years ago), and have met many people in our neighborhood who knew them. They have been in our ward (congregation) at church for 40 years, and he's a former bishop of our ward.

But then, I also know that my part in all of it doesn't really start until after the funeral. Once the rest of the family goes home, it will really fall to me (and my wife) to help take care of both my uncle and my remaining aunt who live in the area. (My aunt has been in assisted living now for the last two years, and my uncle has been responsible for her care, with help from us.) The next closest family member is my brother, and he's at least an hour away (in good traffic). After that, everyone else is at least a day's travel, which pretty much leaves us as the boots on the ground in the event of an emergency.

Probably the greatest comfort for all of us comes from how our family has a strong testimony of the LDS doctrine of eternal families. (In fact, my uncle is a sealer in the DC temple, with the authority to seal other families together.) Because of that, my uncle knows that he will be with my aunt again, as they were married "for time and for all eternity", rather than simply "until death do you part". Along with that, my cousins are sealed to their parents, insuring that they can remain a family even after death. Those sealing links help hold us all together, even when we are separated by time and distance, or even by death. When my father was serving on submarines, the fact that we were sealed together for eternity was a great comfort to all of us. This life isn't the end, and we will all be reunited.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It's good to hear that your doing fine and you have people around you to comfort you. My thoughts and prayers are still with you and your family.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So, I'll be starting my job with City Year in a little over a week! Ten to twelve hours a weekday, plus some Saturday's, for 10 months, mentoring and tutoring kids in middle schools and organizing after-school activities for them! (I'll be in Rhode Island, so at least I can keep living with my parents and not have to worry about rent). I'm looking forward to it, but a little nervous too! Can't believe it's almost here.

I'm also thinking of saving up money from my time in City Year to volunteer in India for 2-4 weeks with Cross Cultural Solutions next summer (a country I've always wanted to travel to). They have two locations in India, and I'm not sure which one I want go to yet, either New Delhi (the large capital) or Dharamsala (a small town in northern India near the Himalayas, where the Dalai Lama lives).
    Does anyone have any experience with travelling to India? Or ever hear about Cross Cultural Solutions before?

There's also two similar organizations, called Projects Abroad and United Planet, which I'm also going to look into for other international volunteer opportunities.

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    That's a pretty bold thing to do. I hope you have a great time with it all.

Summer Dreamer and DarthBoba like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.