main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC19 I want to go to Celebration!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by DarthStarMan, Jun 5, 2018.

1. DarthStarMan

DarthStarMan Jedi Padawan

Jan 9, 2017
    I don’t know if I’m allowed to post this here but I really wanna go to Star Wars Celebration next year!

I live in Australia and was supposed to be going with my ex. We broke up a few months back so that won’t be happening now! I still want to buy myself a ticket and come over next year by myself but I’m a little scared/nervous haha!

Obviously it’s worth it because it’s Star Wars but what would you do!? Should I just do it!? I’m bound to have fun right? Help an indecisive person make up his mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teamhansolo likes this.
  2. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    It's your decision. Plenty of people (myself included) go on their own, so I wouldn't worry about that. It's expensive and there's a lot of waiting in lines, but the comaderie among fans alone make it worth it, I think. If you're a huge fan, I would try to do it at least once sometime, but we can't make the call for you.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    DarthStarMan and Padme501st like this.
  3. groove790

groove790 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 16, 2010
    Do it, it is something that you will never forget. If you can financially afford it then go for it. I actually hung out with a someone from Australia last time who was there on her own. Maybe you will meet your new "someone" and live happily ever after. Don't regret missing it, that is worse than the regret of spending a little bit to go.

teamhansolo and DarthStarMan like this.
  4. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    DarthStarMan likes this.
  5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd say go for it if you can afford. it. With all those SW fans in one place you should be able to make a few friends to hang out with. Not sure what part of Australia you're in, but there is a SW Fan Force there. You can see their board here. If you decide to go you could post over there and maybe hook up with some other people going to Chicago.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  6. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I've been to the last two Celebrations by myself and plan on doing the same for Chicago. Trust me, it is absolutely worth it. Even if you would be coming from as far as Australia. This event will change your life, not even kidding. It's 10 months from now, so you have time to prep for it. In a couple of hours hotels go on sale, at least book a hotel so that you can decide later on if you can or want to go.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  7. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    I've gone to Cele.s 2-the present alone and would not have brought my husband along, (he likes Star wars but not enough for a con.) If you have the means(time and money) please come! everyone is family, no exceptions. you are very welcome, no matter where you come from,you should be ready for lines, waiting for long periods in them, but the comeradery, costumes and making new friends will make it seem timeless. please come and have fun!

DarthStarMan likes this.
  8. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    I'd say go for it. Like everyone has already said, the atmosphere and the camaraderie between fans makes it an incredible event for anyone who loves Star Wars. You'll find plenty of people here who are going solo and there's at least one Facebook group specifically for fans who go solo. You'll meet people and make new friends so you won't be lonely. Plus going solo means you don't have to consider what everyone else wants to do when planning your days!

DarthStarMan and Padme501st like this.
  9. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    I’ll end up solo for at least some of the time, as friends can’t make all 5 days. If you have the time and money, its worth it.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  10. Rabin_Lorac

Rabin_Lorac Jedi Master

Nov 19, 2011
    If you didn't buy tickets already, its too late now. It is all sold out.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's the 5-day tickets. Single day are still available as of this post. But don't wait long.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Those tickets sold out waaaaaay too fast, I think. Especially since they still have single day passes for all days. And they're holding it in this huge convention center with very few hotels near it. They've increased their capacity, but the 5-day tickets still sell out in 2 days? This is just not good.

There will be lots of fans who are just going to be shut out. Just the people who had to wait for their paychecks alone won't be going. Not good at all. I think the logistics are going to be extra tough for this one.

I'll only go Thurs-Sun. Not paying full price for a Monday one-day ticket. The extra for having to get 4 single day tickets is bad enough.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  13. j-jawa3

j-jawa3 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2004
    Remember, wear very comfortable shoes, this is one of the most important things you can do in order to enjoy yourself!

DarthStarMan and ChrisLyne like this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Can't emphasize that enough. This isn't the place for stiletto heels (unless part of a costume) or brand new shoes. I did London 2016 in a well-worn pair of trekking sandals.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  15. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    The huge convention center is a little deceiving. I though the same at first but they're only confirmed as using the West Building at the moment, so they've not actually increased their capacity. What are doing is using the arena which will increase the main stage capacity (so more people can see the big panels) but this doesn't impact the overall capacity of the convention. I think the demand has taken them a bit by surprise as well.

The hotel situation is awkward. They almost have to offer a shuttle service as the vast majority of hotels aren't really within walking distance.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  16. ThanksBates82

ThanksBates82 Jedi Master star 1

May 10, 2003
    I get the anxiety over the hotels. I know it isn't ideal, but you can stay anywhere in the Loop area of the city and take the Green line in for 2.50 each way, 15-20 minutes depending on when you happen to catch the train (here we call it the "L"). Not walking distance easy, but I'll be "commuting" in from the far north side each day on the Red line, then switching to the Green line, which will probably take me an hour or so. But compared to parking prices, its worth it for me. And with overnights, who knows how often I'll go back home anyway lol.

That said, I don't think anyone quite expected this rush for tickets. I can't hold them accountable for that, considering they gave us 3 weeks notice before tickets went on sale as well as a 90% sold out warning. Everyone expected the 5-day passes to last at least a couple of months, and under normal circumstances (i.e. EVERY other Celebration) it wouldn't have been an issue.

DarthStarMan and ChrisLyne like this.
  17. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    The only people to blame for the tickets selling out so fast are the fans buying them. The demand is just higher than anyone could have guessed.

A lot of people have said it's just a ploy to make more money selling single days, but the fact that Saturday was already 60% sold (and I'm guessing quite a bit higher now) suggests it isn't (at least not anymore than what other cons do). It will be interesting to see how long the single days last now. It is hard to imagine them making it to con week again.

The tickets when they sell out though has to be it. You can't add tickets, because more people will cause more problems.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    DarthStarMan likes this.
  18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    I thought it was a dirty Disney business ploy at first. But then after reading the messages from the Celebration Facebook page addressing it, I realized it wasn't.

I had said this in another post earlier this week, but if the demand is truly this high right now, than I think it has to do with the fact the ST and this current era of Star Wars is coming to a close. And now anybody who hasn't gotten in on the fun wants to do so before it ends.

But then on top of that feeling, when you take into account what others have said, that this is bringing out all the midwesterners who haven't been to a Celebration in general since the prequel era and have been waiting for it to return, I can see how it might be exponentially the case in the minds of a lot of midwesterners to want to attend this one.

I am no longer assuming that there is something else going on. We just have to accept that the demand this time was in fact this high. And there isn't anything we can do about it. It is what it is.

From what we've seen, I don't doubt that the majority of midwesterners attending will start thinking of it as being THEIR Celebration. Not to say they would think that in a manner that would be unwelcoming to others. Just that the general consensus among them might be that it's their's this time.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  19. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Plus there might be more people coming internationally this time. I know after CE2016 my friends and I all planned to attend the Europe 2018 Celebration that everyone assumed was happening. When they announced they were skipping 2018 we couldn't really afford to do Orlando 2017 so we decided to come to 2019 instead. So that's 4 extra people who've never been to a US Celebration before, there's sure to be more who are doing the same.

DarthStarMan and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  20. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    Have you been to the US before?

21. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, plenty of times, I've just never made been to a US Celebration before. I did a day at first London one and enjoyed it (had 3 day tickets but it ended up clashing with a wedding, gutted is an understatement) but it was watching the live stream from Anaheim then doing the full weekend in London in 2016 that made me really want to come over and experience a full US Celebration. The cancelling of 2018 and the Orlando live stream just confirmed it for me.

I've been to Disney World and New York more times than I could probably really afford to, and was in LA earlier this year. I love the US.

22. DarthStarMan

Jan 9, 2017
    I can’t believe how quickly the 5 day passes sold out! thank you so much for all of your replies! The atmosphere there alone sounds like it is worth it and I have a feeling it’s going to be a big one! Lots of news and changes and announcements!

The individual day passes are selling out quickly! The only thing I am worried about is accomodation. Most of it is sold out and I’ve never been to the US so I’m a bit stressed about sussing that kind of thing out. Is Air BnB a good option in the US???

23. star_wars_is_good

Jun 14, 2002
    OnPeak currently has some options in the loop area. I'd book one of those now (it doesn't cost anything upfront and you can cancel later), then look at other options.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  24. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    Yea dude, book now, figure it out later.

You can even book a hotel without buying passes, if that's what your mulling over right now.

DarthStarMan likes this.
  25. DarthStarMan

Jan 9, 2017
    Okay I’ll have a look at that! If any, should I secure like Thursday to Friday tickets because they are the closest to selling out and then keep an eye out for Sunday and Monday?