main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I Want To Honor You

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    one small step for man, one giant leap for wockykind

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ask not what Wocky can do for you, ask what you can do for Wocky.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Ananta Chetan: Unfortunately not. Though I've perused some biographical pieces, I've never had a chance to read his writings. Perhaps I will check some of them out. Does he have any special mentions of sleeping on the floor?

Alright guys, here's draft 2:

It's strange when people go away. They fade into that dream-like state where we paint memory onto new context, and we call it a reasonable projection of the future. Then even that slips away from us, and were left pressing through the waking world with a floating, causeless mood. Every once in a while, we'll catch a fragment of what we once knew. We'll wonder if they are still as heroic as we hoped, or their foibles are as amusing as we remembered. Most of all, we'll feel the odd, jagged edge of something that can no longer be puzzled into our lives.

The wildest thing by far is when those dreams come true. People come crashing back, and we suddenly must see whether they are fashioned anew, or have the same familiar ring. We must confront terror or disappointment or excitement as we see how distorted our thoughts were or weren't. In the rarest of moments, though, something like this happens. Where the person who returns is as good as we dared remember and better than we actually believed. Where the great adventure of their life was just as rich as you sarcastically claimed it had better be. Where catching up acquires fierce urgency and sublime pleasure.

Where you can say "Welcome back" and mean it, settling in a fireside wing chair to hear everything that happened in-between.

Master_Jacen likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    All that, and you still haven't asked her how she's doing, just described how you feel :p

Darth_Invidious and harpua like this.
  5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky, shall we put aside our disagreement about how much of a wanton harlot Margaery Tyrrell is for a moment, and will you allow me to draft the response for you?

6. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Just for clarity, are you all saying my draft was so bad that someone else should take over?

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, no... you should dig deep down into that part of you (I know it's there) that genuinely cares about humankind and write it yourself.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Especially someone you care about enough -- allegedly -- to honor. We're taking off the training wheels, wocky. :p

You have to do this yourself. You'll thank us after having gone through it and become a better person.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky, you struggle to say what needs to be said. The fundamental question of any piece of correspondence is this - are you writing to inform, or impress, your audience?

Common courtesy dictates you enquire after OS' well being, activities, and genuinely show an interest in what she's been doing, as she came back essentially at your behest. Note, the interest must be genuine and not feigned. This is common courtesy, extended our of respect to your fellow humans.

OS lives what is clearly a full life. Instead of talking about how that makes you feel, you should be soaking it up like a sponge. The time for learning and introspection comes later, Wocky. Now is the time for decorum, for manners.

At some point we will render you fit to rub shoulders with poets and gentlemen!

10. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Do you all see? I do care. Very greatly.

And I want to honor someone, shouldn't I give them the very best possible? If that is not me, don't I have an obligation to contract out to someone better at it?

Also, I guess I am confused. I tried to ask more about sleeping on the floor stories the first time, and you guys said asking about her was all wrong. Now you are saying it is the main thing?

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky!

A human being has come here, and the only reason is because you asked questions. Harps knew Yane was in touch, OS was directed to this thread, and returned.

You have supped upon her tale, how return a human gesture by engaging in human interaction. The caveat here is that it must be about the person, not about the Wocky.

jp-30 likes this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Yes. In case you have not noticed, I am the one arguing that I should be able to receive your help or tutoring or whatever this process is. You must tell harpua and Jello.I am inclined to accept your help if it is in fact allowed.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Harps, Iello - can I train him? I promise it won't be awful like the prequels.

14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Very well, but if he doesn't learn you have to administer corporal punishment.

After all, who else is going to punish those silly noncoms?

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    lol... if you have to seek compassion and humanity tutoring from ****ing Ender Sigh... I... I think you may be busted beyond repair.

But I give you my blessing. :p

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    anyway, like all Economist subscriptions, your enrollment in Ender's School of Decency and Humanity also includes a complimentary copy of Jello's Guide to Etiquette.

edit: lol appropriately enough it looks like Miss Staples posted all over that thread

17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How dare you harps!

Jello my goal was to have hit fit to join us for lunch at Boodle's.Though I confess the magnitude of this task is quite apparent. Quite.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wocky! Listen well.

The first exercise here is to lay bare, in plain and simple English, an expression of gratitude to OS for putting your heart and mind at peace regarding floor sleeping. You then shall, with genuine and not feigned interest, enquire as to her well being and what adventures have occupied her recent memory. She touched upon living in her office at a university, and trips to Latin America (and the trick, Wocky old shoe, is to listen. I recall this from reading her post, not from backtracking and looking details up).

Appealing to your logic for a moment; we can take it as a given that OS has a unique and fresh take on life; a joie de vivre that most lack the courage of spirit to emulate. Therefore, one can surmise that whatever OS has done in those inter-posting years, they will likely be a tale worth hearing.

If we take the above paragraph as true and factual, and your intent is genuine, you need to write for me just three lines below. The first simply and succinctly expresses your gratitude that she took time out of her schedule to return and put your mind at ease. The second is to ask what she was doing in between her stints sleeping on the floor, and posting here. The final is to ask what she's doing with herself now.

Don't make it sound like you are asking for a date; nor that you are addressing Her Majesty in person. You are greeting an old friend and colleague; be congenial! Cordial! And don't worry about being a little out of your comfort zone; stretching that comfort zone is how we grow.

Just three lines. Three simple, uncomplicated lines.

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Man, and I thought this thread started weird.

Point Given , s65horsey and Ramza like this.
  20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Nonsense Even, old fruit. Nonsense!

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Seriously... first, it was a Craigslist style missed connections thread, and now Ender's stretching his comfort zone.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Don't rain on my Pygmalion (aka My Fair Wocky), Harps. Just because YOU couldn't get into Boodle's.

No, really.

It's a men's only club. Still a thing in London. Fabulous city though. The best. Just love it. Best on Earth.

23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Don't step out of character, Wock. You're a consummate professional, after all. Your audience is lapping it up. Keep doing your stuff and make them lose their ****.

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Wocky are you going to grant my wish or what.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Why can't a Wocky be more like a man?