main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I Want To Honor You

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Dear god, you watch a film which glorifies Will Smith urinating on Asimov's legacy, but a Michael Mann film - MICHAEL MANN, Wocky - you won't touch?

It's almost like lying to OS about her coming back and her sleeping on the floor.

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

Spoilers, it doesn't.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    But I know you've seen Star Wars.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    He doesn't like ESB, though... wtf.

5. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    That's just wrong.

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No, his wiring is wrong or is just set in a way that he can only be a pop-culture deprived contrarian troll.

7. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Personally I was thinking of those old anti-drug PSAs and peer pressure.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Wocky didn't you say once that Yoda was actually telling Luke to not start the Jedi order again?

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    "When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be" == "don't train anymore Jedi Luke," according to Wocky.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I love minority film interpretations!

Coruscant likes this.
  11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It's the only real reading that makes sense. Especially when one considers that Yoda made absolutely no attempt train other Force sensitives after finishing the intensive course with Luke. Nor, for that matter, did Leia even come up at all, until the specter of Luke's failure rose. They wanted exactly one replacement Jedi to kill the Sith, and then to die himself, riding the Galaxy of the influence of Force users.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    But I'm pretty sure Jedi practice asceticism.

13. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Don't ever change, Wocky. :D

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I just feel sorry for OS in this instance. Lied to, as she was, by Wocky.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Or Yoda was a male chauvinist pig who believed women belonged in the kitchen.

I mean, that is just as plausible as your interpretation.

16. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    No it isn't. Even if we accept the premise that Luke was somehow the only person who could defeat Vader, it still makes absolutely no sense that in 30 years, they chose to train exactly one person with less than six weeks of active instruction. We can say they didn't want their teachings to spread because they specifically avoided spreading them. It's pretty cut and dry.

17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I can't wait to see what you make of Episode VII.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'll be really surprised if he watches it at all (hell, I'll be surprised if I do).

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And "pass on what you have learned" means what exactly?

Darth_Invidious and Juliet316 like this.
  20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Disney has a deal with Netflix that guarantees all of its movies will be on streaming by 2015 (including subsidiaries such as Marvel, Pixar, LFL), so maybe I'll just wait until Episode VII shows up on there.

Nah, I'll probably see it in theaters and be completely unable to distinguish it from the Marvel films and the Star Trek reboot except for laser swords and Harrison Ford phoning in a cameo.

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    It wasn't a blanket command. Yoda specified one other individual in the entire universe who it would be acceptable to train. The person who happened to be his twin. Further, the subsequent conversation with Kenobi makes clear that they basically viewed Luke as a failure who had ruined his training program by rushing in headlong, and who was now unwilling to do what was necessary to kill Vader. That was the context of the remark you're quoting. They decided he was a failure and asked that he at least attempt to bring his replacement up to speed, so they can have their one final shot at everything.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    When are you going to either "like" OS' post, or apologise for lying to her in such a deceitful manner?

23. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I intend to stand firm on my principles until I am vindicated, and your proved embarrassingly wrong. Again.

How do I know that Ostrich even desires "likes?" Perhaps they offend her. She has not been corrupted by the decadence of your Egyptian linens and goose down after all. You are the clear Cain of this thread, bitter about your own unworthiness.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You know who else was corrupted by the decadence of Egyptian linen? Egyptians.

I'll tell pharaoh that you have forsaken him. Thoth will bang his head against the wall, while Osiris will cry. Horus will wish he had never been born.

Darth_Invidious and Ender Sai like this.
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    So it was just an elaborate troll then? Disappointed. Not shocked, not surprised, but disappointed.