main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga I want to introduce someone ( I know right?) to star wars.. where do I begin?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Rosmolen075, Jan 11, 2015.

1. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    I did this last year. I started with Star Wars, Harmy's Despecialzed Edition. I suggest doing the same.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Lol misread that as starting with the series as opposed to the first SW movie, which makes no sense in the given context. 'Tis the problem when you refer to a movie with the same name as the whole franchise

3. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    My preferred nomenclature is "The Film Formerly Known As Star Wars".

4. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I've introduced multiple people with the IV-V-I-II-III-VI order, and I think it's a pretty good one. But I don't think there's any real "right" way to do it, or any real "bad" way (I mean, other than like reverse order or something ridiculous - I mean out of the orders that people have been suggesting). Each possible order builds tension and introduces twists in different ways, so there's no real wrong answer. I've actually been meaning to try watching it in ways I haven't before, such as chronological.

5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    personally i'd say 4-6. start with the classics. they are the best introduction. explain 1-3 are the beginning of the story. if you can, insert tcw between 2 and 3. explain these are THE clone wars. ep 3. if you can, as much of rebels, explaining these lead up to a new hope. then repeat in any order.

if they aren't that hardcore, just 4-6 and 1-3.

6. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    My opinion on this goes back and forth, but tbh probably either 1-6 or 4-1-2-3-4-5-6. ANH is so essential, I feel like episode order makes the context given by ANH sorely lacking. But I sometimes think episode order would have been trippier, I personally watch them quite randomly sometimes.

Edit - just to clarify I saw em 456 123, and that was a great experience. Im not sure what is ultimately better.

7. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    4 is a must as the intro to the series.

Sarge likes this.
  8. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    I introduced my wife with the ANH, the original. then I gave her the choice to watch TESB or TPM next. She chose TPM so she could watch the rest in order.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I depends on what is most important. If it's most important to preserve as many surprises as possible, one of the Machete orders (45236 or 451236) is the best way to go. If it's most important to understand why there might be some contradictions in the story, then release order is probably the best way to go. For me personally, though, getting the most drama out of the experience is the most rewarding use of the series and for that, I recommend Episode order (123456).

The reason I say I-VI is the best order for optimum drama is because the devastation of having watched an entirely innocent child slowly transform into a nearly irredeemable monster is what lingers through the OT, making the moment of his redemption one of the most satisfactory emotional pay offs in cinema history. There's no other structure of the series that will give you that pure drama.

[edit]There's an additional benefit to this order if you think the PT are weaker films: They progressively get better as you go along.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I would describe why Luke is appealing as a character. I would also allude to Darth Vader's complexity. He's not just an icon of evil. He's a tortured Shakespearean-esque character in some ways, and his self-loathing, which is more apparent in the EU, should be better known. I'd introduce them to the EU and the films. Tell them about whatever you like and appreciate.

11. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
    I would be interested in showing someone 1-6 chronoligically, because I was never introduced to the series 1, 4-6, 2-3.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  12. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    I think as more time passes more and more people will be introduced to Star Wars in chronological order. I-II-II-IV-V-VI. Those people will, as time passes, get more and more of a voice in Star Wars fandom and it will eventually be "the way" that the story is watched. (Then there will be a bunch of sequel episodes but, as good as they are, they will somehow always feel detached from the Original Six.)

I think if you're introducing someone to Star Wars that doing it chronologically makes perfect sense. The story works very well that way. There are plot twists and surprises.

However one thing I have done in the past is to ask them, before showing them any movies, what they already know about Star Wars. Chances are they know quite a bit, including "I am your father," already. If that's the case then there's nothing to spoil, so start with Episode I. If you've actually managed to find someone who doesn't know who Darth Vader/Anakin Skywalker is then I'd consider showing them IV-V-I-II-III and then VI.

13. darth_revan96

darth_revan96 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 18, 2015
    I don't think watching it chronologically is very smart. If you don't watch the Original Trilogy first there are a lot of details in the Prequels that will be lost on you. Also if you watch the Prequels first, some major things will be spoiled in Episode IV and Episode V. Really if you wanted to skip the Prequel Trilogy, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Star Wars fans got along almost 20 years without them. If you're dead set on starting with the Prequels at least watch Episode IV first, as it is the best introduction to the Star Wars universe.

Sarge and Cushing's Admirer like this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Why not simply just ask the person where they want to start? This shouldn't be some kind of fandom war to win points.

15. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    one of the Machete orders (45236 or 451236) is the best way to go.
    -------------------

whenever I see these orders I automatically go into Frank Grimes mode

[​IMG]

it's such a silly way to watch a saga.