main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ I was there!

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Humble extra, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Loved Merry & Pippin taking out Borimir during the sword training scene.

So, the broken sword in Lothlorien that cut the ring from Sauron? Didn't it get put back together in the book, for / by Aragorn?
    Didn't see that in the movie...

2. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    yes - aragorn WILL re combine the shards of the sword

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    When? He doesn't go back to Lothlorien, to the best of my knowledge.

4. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    hmmmmm

perhaps arwen takes the shard to him when he reaches the land of Rohan - and he meats the king there etc Eowen and Eomer's father.

I cant remember if Aragorn takes the sword from Rivendell - but if he has - thats ONE important scene they left out... another one i mean!

NO GIFT GIVING SCENE IN LOTHLORIEN!

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! (lol)

5. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    the threads title is thus:

"I was there!"

... and I'll be there (in the cinema) again tomoro!

WOOT!

[ani] YIPPIE!!! [/ani]

off to see it again :p :D

6. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Damn, all I frickin wanted was Peregrin Took doing an impersonation of Bilbo doing his farewell speec in the Prancing Pony's bar. Is that really too much to ask?

Merging Merry and Pippin into one, annoying comic relief character was not cool.

Cutting out 4 chapters of the book strait out was not cool. They like, went strait from the Brandywine river to the gates of Bree. They could have at least had some establishing shots of them going down the East Road or through the forest and Barrow Downs. It would have only taken a middle. But no, apparently Bree is right beside the Shire on the otherside of the Brandywine. And then when they get to Bree it's like "Gandalf hasn't been here in 6 months". WTF? In the movie it only looked like a few days had passed. Bad pacing.

It was not cool to put a Cave Troll in the fight scene just for the sake of putting it there.

It was not cool to throw away the seed that was sown in Lothlorien where Gimli was transformed by Galadriel and then started to get along with Legolas.

It was not cool to fail mentioning that Legolas was from Mirkwood.

There were alot of things that weren't cool, but I've only seen it once, and I was distracted by psychos in the theatre that my dear mother was trying to avoid, that kept on talking. God damn, I'm never going back to Berkley Mission Bay again. Anyway, I'll have to see it again to decide whether the changes really bothered me, and figure out how many there are.

But hey, it was a good flick. I really liked it. I don't know how any of you can compare this thing to the book, nor can I fathom how you guys could actualy compare this to Star Wars, let alone let it replace Star Wars! I would have expected differently from this group. I suppose it's a matter of taste. I was hoping I would like this much as Star Wars, but unfortunately I just don't, it's a notch below. But hey, Peter Jackson did a great job making a narrative of the books and I can really see how alot of love was put into this flick.

It's unfortunate that they didn't make six films. I think the full story could have been told, then, and the characters would have been properly developed.

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Raz:

when they get to Bree it's like "Gandalf hasn't been here in 6 months". WTF? In the movie it only looked like a few days had passed. Bad pacing.

Butterbur said Gandalf hadn't been there for six months... BECAUSE HE HADN'T! - there is no evidence in the film that Gandalf had been there at all in the near past - he just told them to meet him at the Prancing Pony Inn!

It was not cool to put a Cave Troll in the fight scene just for the sake of putting it there

more excitement, and if there were ONLY Moria Orc's in that fight - our heros would have won easily!!! - Instead it shows the great effort they went through to win the fight - and when Aragorn was flung away - and what looked like he was dead (only knocked out for a bit) and then Frodo seriously hurt - we thought all was gone! (if we had not read the book) It also shows Frodo wearing the Mithril shirt.

It was not cool to throw away the seed that was sown in Lothlorien where Gimli was transformed by Galadriel and then started to get along with Legolas.

sure - some scenes were left out - if none were, then the movie would be 6hours long! Yes they missed out a bit of Lothlorien - but hey! I too was pissed that the gift giving scene was left out - and it really didnt show the "Golden Wood", but its still enough.

It was not cool to fail mentioning that Legolas was from Mirkwood.

It will be in The Two Towers (when they are at Helms Deap and Gimli tells Legolas about the magnificent caves found there - after the big battle he says he will (and does) show Legolas the Caves and Legolas says he will show Gimli his home range of Mirkwood with the mighty trees.

Anyway, I'll have to see it again to decide whether the changes really bothered me, and figure out how many there are.

You'll never enjoy it if you only go to see the errors and things that you can spot they missed!

It's unfortunate that they didn't make six films. I think the full story could have been told, then, and the characters would have been properly developed.

A film for each book aye? Well - that WOULD be great! but it was originally going to be 2 films ONLY! we're lucky its three! or the story would really suck!

I found the relationship Sam had with Bill (the horse) was not explained for Sam LOVED that horse - but as previously said a film is only so long!

SW and LOTR similarities:

Gandalf (old) - Ben Kenobi (old)
    Dark Lords in both
    Cave troll - Rancor (look similar :p)
    Force Powers in Both
    Christopher Lee plays a baddie in both
    Clones ( :p)
    Luke and Frodo are both Farmer types at the start
    Gandalf uses powers to get his point of veiw across (he "grows in size when bilbo accuses him of stealing his ring) - Ben uses force pursuasion
    Dark Lords are seeking a particular thing (SW - death tar plans // LOTR - the one ring)

8. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    apologies SFL (again?) when I read the books I read TT straight after FOTR, so I forgot where the cutoff was. just re-read the Transition B/w the two books, very interesting how Jackson decided to end Fellowship. I think it works better though.

anyway, I'll rephrase: how the events unfolded in the end of the movie was just how I imagined it in the books (note: plural).

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    hehe - BOW DOWN YOUNG MOD!!!

Yea - they brought in the death to make the ending of the movie better - cause the ending would kinda suck if the final scene was them setting up camp beside the river - THE END

and the first scene of the two towers - Boromir dies?~! :eek: - good opening but the ending of Fellowship is good! leaves us wanting more!

I can see Extra why your audience cheered now! The fact that Frodo and Sam are happily together and going off! and Legolas, Gimli and Aragorn see a sign on a near by tree saying:

"Orc Huntin' Season"

aaaaaaah Good ol' Bugs cartoons rule! :p ;) :D

10. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    As mum and I sat in the cinema and watched the trailers for other films, mum said this:

"I've never seen a film twice, and certainly not less than 48 hours apart!"

to which I replied:

"Me neither!"

Yes we saw it again! :D :D :D

And I dare say I'll be seeing it yet, another time in the near future as JP wants to see it again, and I'd love to see it with him. He told mum, when she asked him earlier today if he wanted to join us, that if we go in the next week or so if he could make it he would like to see it again. Well, we may have seen it twice already but as the film finished mum said:

"Shall we see it again tomorrow night?"

I said: "yea!" but I think mum was joking! grrr, oh well! :) hehe

we DO have to do our part in boosting the movie in it's first week! ;) :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.